Prey
0 (0%)
AVP
8 (19.5%)
AVPR
23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
AVPGALAXYS most HATED Alien/Predator/AVP film (Read 4,134 times)

littlesprout

littlesprout

Out of all the movies so far which one is the worst (I gave everyone 3 votes to ideally pick one alien, predator, Avp film....or if you really hate one fipm just give it all 3 votes lol)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

AVP, AVPR, and The Predator, easily. AVP is the most watchable of the three, but even that one, I don't know if I ever see myself watching it again. The other two, I absolutely don't see myself ever watching again.

Predators is a good concept that, unfortunately, kind of self-sabotages a bit in its second half and runs out of steam; I don't hate it, but I really do wish it did more with the potential it had. Everything else (even Prometheus and Resurrection, messy as they may be), I genuinely like.

aliens13

AvPR, The Predator and Prometheus.

I can't hate AR, it was my first Alien movie that I ever watched and at least doesn't harm the lore of the 3 previous films and it's dumb fun. But Prometheus... I can't even express the excitement that I had back in 2012,and how frustrating it was. I remember trying to convince myself of liking it, but no I hate it.

And AvPR and The Predator, they doesn't need any explanation

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Covenant, Pred2018 and AVPR
Covenant and Pred2018 both butcher the mythos and mystery as well as general appeal of the 2 iconic creatures.
AVPR is self explanatory

Sure, Prometheus set the seeds for one, or maybe AVP and AR are worse than one of those 3, but none of them had as much of a lasting negative impact on the franchise as the 3 I mentioned, we are gonna have to deal with the bad lore of David making the Aliens and of Preds being dumb DNA collectors for years to come.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Jun 21, 2023, 04:22:48 PMSure, Prometheus set the seeds for one, or maybe AVP and AR are worse than one of those 3, but none of them had as much of a lasting negative impact on the franchise as the 3 I mentioned, we are gonna have to deal with the bad lore of David making the Aliens and of Preds being dumb DNA collectors for years to come.

I don't think anyone is ever going acknowledge or utilize the events of The Predator on screen again, honestly. Prey certainly didn't bother doing anything with any of that added lore.

I would be very, very happy to see Prometheus and Covenant continue to have ripple effects in future Alien installments, though.

PAS Spinelli

I would be very, very happy if Ridley Scott had never used the Alien franchise to tell a pretentious unrelated story about creation

Kradan

Counter-point:

Prequels are cool and good

Local Trouble

ChatGPT says otherwise. >:(

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah but ChatGPT is dumb and bad.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 21, 2023, 07:38:40 PMYeah but ChatGPT is dumb and bad.

>:(

Just for that:

Let's not mince words here: both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant have committed cinematic crimes against the beloved Alien universe, seemingly with the singular goal of distorting, diluting, and outright damaging the intriguing lore established by Ridley Scott's original Alien, and James Cameron's unassailable sequel, Aliens.

Prometheus, billed as a high-concept science fiction epic, attempted to delve into the origins of mankind, promising a rich tapestry of philosophical exploration. Instead, we were delivered a convoluted mess of narrative threads that unraveled faster than a Xenomorph in a ventilation shaft. We were presented with a team of scientists who, despite their alleged expertise, displayed the survival instincts of lemmings, engaging in a set of actions that were mind-boggling in their stupidity.

Then there's the matter of the Engineers. These 'precursors' to our fearsome Xenomorphs, rather than enhancing the Alien universe, served to strip away the terrifying mystery that made the original creature so compelling. The Alien universe didn't need a creation myth; the unknown origins of the Xenomorphs were part of their allure, and to explain it in such a slapdash manner was an affront to the fans.

Next, we come to Alien: Covenant, which attempted to course correct the narrative missteps of Prometheus. It proved, however, to be a false dawn. The same disdain for coherent storytelling and character development persisted. The plot lurched from one absurd scenario to another, continuing the trend of supposedly smart people making terribly unsmart decisions.

Perhaps the most egregious sin of Alien: Covenant, though, was its treatment of the Xenomorphs. Turning them into the creations of a rogue android – the petulant David – didn't just defy the established lore, it spat acid blood in its face. This twist didn't make the creatures more terrifying; it made them feel manufactured, cheapened, and ultimately undermined the spine-tingling horror they once embodied.

Both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are guilty of over-explaining a universe that thrived on ambiguity and mystery. Instead of deepening our understanding of the Alien world, they complicated it, muddled it, and stripped it of its majestic terror. These films didn't extend the lore; they irreparably fractured it, and the Alien franchise is poorer for their existence.

Sincerely,

ChatGPT

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 21, 2023, 07:55:47 PMThis twist didn't make the creatures more terrifying; it made them feel manufactured, cheapened, and ultimately undermined the spine-tingling horror they once embodied.

aliens13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 21, 2023, 07:55:47 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 21, 2023, 07:38:40 PMYeah but ChatGPT is dumb and bad.

>:(

Just for that:

Let's not mince words here: both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant have committed cinematic crimes against the beloved Alien universe, seemingly with the singular goal of distorting, diluting, and outright damaging the intriguing lore established by Ridley Scott's original Alien, and James Cameron's unassailable sequel, Aliens.

Prometheus, billed as a high-concept science fiction epic, attempted to delve into the origins of mankind, promising a rich tapestry of philosophical exploration. Instead, we were delivered a convoluted mess of narrative threads that unraveled faster than a Xenomorph in a ventilation shaft. We were presented with a team of scientists who, despite their alleged expertise, displayed the survival instincts of lemmings, engaging in a set of actions that were mind-boggling in their stupidity.

Then there's the matter of the Engineers. These 'precursors' to our fearsome Xenomorphs, rather than enhancing the Alien universe, served to strip away the terrifying mystery that made the original creature so compelling. The Alien universe didn't need a creation myth; the unknown origins of the Xenomorphs were part of their allure, and to explain it in such a slapdash manner was an affront to the fans.

Next, we come to Alien: Covenant, which attempted to course correct the narrative missteps of Prometheus. It proved, however, to be a false dawn. The same disdain for coherent storytelling and character development persisted. The plot lurched from one absurd scenario to another, continuing the trend of supposedly smart people making terribly unsmart decisions.

Perhaps the most egregious sin of Alien: Covenant, though, was its treatment of the Xenomorphs. Turning them into the creations of a rogue android – the petulant David – didn't just defy the established lore, it spat acid blood in its face. This twist didn't make the creatures more terrifying; it made them feel manufactured, cheapened, and ultimately undermined the spine-tingling horror they once embodied.

Both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are guilty of over-explaining a universe that thrived on ambiguity and mystery. Instead of deepening our understanding of the Alien world, they complicated it, muddled it, and stripped it of its majestic terror. These films didn't extend the lore; they irreparably fractured it, and the Alien franchise is poorer for their existence.

Sincerely,

ChatGPT

This is amazing, so you hate the precuels but you defend Aliens Colonial Marines 😨

I'm not going to defend Prometheus but Covenant was decent enough (like a true 7 or 7 and half film, not the "Randy's 7 or 7 and half).

Immortan Jonesy

😅the randy stuff must be just meme material

littlesprout

I personally think if you watch Prometheus as a stand alone film it makes it a lot better. Just an additional story and expansion within the alien universe aside from having a xenomorph.

Alien covenant is decent but I really wish they didn't have the xenomorph in it, the only theory I like to think is that David was following the engineers blueprints for creating a xenomorph.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus works about as well for me standalone as it does as part of the Alien mythos - either way, I love the movie conceptually, but I find the execution (namely, the script and, even more drastically, the editing) to be an absolute mess. It's chock full of fascinating ideas, it's gorgeous to look at, and it is absolutely maddening in its structure and pacing. Somewhere out there is a much more functional edit of the film that, while not perfect (it'd still be working off of the same script, after all), is at least more coherent in its structure. Still, even with the elements that hold it back, Prometheus is a movie that I am happy exists.

Alien: Covenant rocks. I love the movie to bits. It picks up on nearly everything that works in Prometheus and runs with it in a movie that, on the whole, I find to work so much better than its direct predecessor.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed