Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 02, 2024, 09:03:57 AM

Do you care about canon?

Yes
26 (63.4%)
No
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author
Do you care about canon? (Read 3,557 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 09, 2024, 10:25:45 PMWhat's with the ping?

I thought if anyone should share their opinion on canon - it's you

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 10, 2024, 04:22:19 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 09, 2024, 10:25:45 PMWhat's with the ping?

I thought if anyone should share their opinion on canon - it's you
That's fair

oduodu

oduodu

something caught my attention: someone said something about an isolation vibe going on in romulus.

does this point to an "amanda ripley - esqe" character somewhere in the movie? maybe an young adult book theme character also?

like when that irish lady (siabhan or some such in a podcast) talked about one of the characters being  synthatic and like a sister to someone.

"feels"  like it was incorporated here. in some way.

SiL

SiL

I mean yes all the characters are younger than we typically see in these films. There's a definite YA edge to it.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Alvarez movies often depicts youngsters.

SiL

SiL

It's the slasher vibe.

oduodu

oduodu

ala friday the 13th

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Not sure if that is a good thing though, when the franchise relies on themes/tropes from those kind of movies, you end up with Covenant at best and AVP Requiem at worst.

Nightmare Asylum

I'd argue that Covenant draws more from Gothic horror than it does from  slasher films, until the third act. Alien is much more a slasher than Covenant is. And AVPR is, like you said, the absolute worst case scenario for brining that particular set of tropes into these franchises.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 10, 2024, 06:01:58 PMI'd argue that Covenant draws more from Gothic horror than it does from  slasher films, until the third act. Alien is much more a slasher than Covenant is. And AVPR is, like you said, the absolute worst case scenario for brining that particular set of tropes into these franchises.

True but I was referring more to the character stupidity for Covenant, they hit the "dumb victim" trope more than Alien.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 09, 2024, 10:25:45 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Apr 02, 2024, 11:35:51 AM@Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Apr 02, 2024, 09:59:05 AMLike, I like Herk Mondo, but I would not want him to be part of the canon

I wouldn't mind a Herk Mondo flick. That would be something different to say the least

On the matter of canon: I don't care really as long as I can have access to the entries I enjoy re-visiting. I love Alien 3, I kinda like Resurrection, Prometheus is just there for me and I dig Covenant. But I wouldn't be terribly upset if the new stories overwrite any of these as long as it's for filmakers' creativity sake. I like first AvP movie and it's already excluded from canon and I'm OK with it (I'm glad Requiem is tho)
What's with the ping?

@predxeno I'd love to reply to your PM but your inbox is full.

As for the poll, I voted "yes", but because I find canon as a philosophical concept to be very fascinating. Otherwise I do not care what the "official canon" is. I have my own canon, that's all I need.

Ah ok, let me fix that

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 10, 2024, 07:15:58 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 10, 2024, 06:01:58 PMI'd argue that Covenant draws more from Gothic horror than it does from  slasher films, until the third act. Alien is much more a slasher than Covenant is. And AVPR is, like you said, the absolute worst case scenario for brining that particular set of tropes into these franchises.

True but I was referring more to the character stupidity for Covenant, they hit the "dumb victim" trope more than Alien.

Correctamundo.

solace97

solace97

A lot of people are answering yes. I wonder are they giving a yes as in they care but pick and choose their own canon or yes as in they follow the films strictly as displayed

SM

SM

Probably the first one.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: solace97 on Apr 12, 2024, 01:59:14 AMA lot of people are answering yes. I wonder are they giving a yes as in they care but pick and choose their own canon or yes as in they follow the films strictly as displayed
For me it's the first one. Canon is like my penis; i have one, and I like it, but it's mine and it's flexible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed