Author Steve Perry Talks Origin of Predator Language & How To Correctly Pronouce Yautja!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 20, 2024, 10:31:46 AM

Author
Author Steve Perry Talks Origin of Predator Language & How To Correctly Pronouce Yautja! (Read 1,506 times)

Corporal Hicks

Alien vs. Predator Galaxy recently had the pleasure and honour of sitting down with author Steve Perry to discuss his work adapting the original trilogy of Dark Horse and Mark Verhieden Alien comics into novels for this year’s Alien Day.

While this episode is primarily Alien focused – Steve will be joining us again soon to discuss Alien vs. Predator and Predator – we naturally couldn’t help talking a little about Predator and Steve discussed the origins of the Predator language and the correct way to pronounce Yautja!

“You’re gonna me this so I’m going to tell you now. It’s ya-oot-cha. That’s the way you pronounce it. Where that came from was when she [S.D Perry] started working with me, I gave her a book of Polynesia and Hawaiian language, a dictionary. And we took that and we went through there and picked out words we liked and we would alter them so they all had a certain sound. If you use a foreign language the words tend to sound alike, there’s a flow to it.

So we wanted to use something that was unusual and Hawaain doesn’t have a lot of constanants, it’s a lot of vowels. I couldn’t tell you exactly how we came up with it…she probably did. She was very good at that kind of stuff. She said “this is interesting, it’s a good word” and we looked at it and we thought “we like this.” They have to call themselves something. A lot of people just call themselves The People so that’s what we came up with.”

Be sure to check back in on Friday 26th/Alien Day when we post the full interview with author Steve Perry! If you're not already, you can subscribe to the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast on a number of different podcasting platforms including iTunesPodBeanGooglePlayStitcherSpotify and Amazon Music.

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Acid for Blood

I think I've come to pronounce it many different ways over the past 25 years and this was pretty much my preferred version.

Darkness

I always pronounce it yaute-ya or yattya.

Wysps

I imagined it being pronounced ya-oot-cha or ya-oot-ya (or something very similar) - it's cool to see the thought behind it.  Pulling from a language that uses little consonants actually kind of makes sense, given the way their mouths are structured.

"A lot of people just call themselves The People so that's what we came up with." So Yautja essentially means to them what "man" or "human" means to us. 

Komenja

I've always been partial to yacht-juh.

Mr.Turok

Ohhhhh?! Nice, got my first question answered!

Yeah it does make sense due to not having mouths and lips like ours. Also never figured of Polynesia and Hawaiian being part of the makeup, how interesting!

dinosauriac

Hmm. Somehow I always thought it was taken from the end of Predator 2, when the elder speaks. It's barely intelligible but if you strain a bit the word he utters does sound a little like "yoot-cha"...

shadowedge

Nice I am really looking forward to this interview! Steve and his daughter really contributed so much to the Predator EU and lore!

Local Trouble

Neila

Oh, so that's where the word yautja comes from?
I didn't know that.
I haven't really followed all the secondary literature in the Predator area.
I've always found "yautja" inappropriate because it has a rather funny sound.
The way Mr. Perry tells us how to pronounce it, it sounds like it came from the Jawas.
Well, if he was chosen by Fox to be the leader of Pred culture, he has to think of something.

SiL

He wasn't. He was actually told not to get into the Predators' heads.

Neila

Neila

okay, but hasn't he already done that?
Disney urgently needs to talk to him

SiL

Why?

He wasn't put in charge of anything. They just wrote something they wanted to and it got published.

Neila

I understand, so he wasn't commissioned to write a novel. I don't know how it usually works. So whether a studio commissions someone to write a novel or whether the author asks for it.
If he is the inventor of the word Yautja, that was a very long time ago and was therefore generally recognized.
As a fan I have to accept it or ignore it.

Wysps

The term exists, but I don't necessarily think that any Predator media is obliged to use it.  I think it could be easily replaced by another word, especially in the movies where no character has ever been impressed to actually name them (besides calling them predators, hunters, etc.)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed