LV-426?

Started by arachnophilia, Mar 20, 2012, 12:07:03 AM

Author
LV-426? (Read 34,949 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

We don't even know that the one on LV-426 CRASHED. That itself is a huge assumption.

arachnophilia

arachnophilia

Quote from: Queen7 on Mar 20, 2012, 12:23:57 AMThere's no proof that the ship on lv-426 crashed due to a chest rustler maybe after Prometheus crashed into the ship the captain was knocked out and a facebugger got to him

i agree, that's an assumption.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 20, 2012, 12:25:00 AMWe don't even know that the one on LV-426 CRASHED. That itself is a huge assumption.

as is that. in the original plot, the pilot found the lifeforms on the planet after landing safely, and died before taking back off.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 20, 2012, 12:25:00 AM
We don't even know that the one on LV-426 CRASHED. That itself is a huge assumption.

Why would it land there on the rocks and why would a fachugger get out if they landed I feel like they would have took precautions

arachnophilia

arachnophilia

Quote from: Queen7 on Mar 20, 2012, 12:28:43 AMWhy would it land there on the rocks and why would a fachugger get out if they landed I feel like they would have took precautions

they did. they left a warning beacon, and had the eggs in a containment field, both of which the human astronauts ignored.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

Quote from: arachnophilia on Mar 20, 2012, 12:30:15 AM
Quote from: Queen7 on Mar 20, 2012, 12:28:43 AMWhy would it land there on the rocks and why would a fachugger get out if they landed I feel like they would have took precautions

they did. they left a warning beacon, and had the eggs in a containment field, both of which the human astronauts ignored.

That does make sense i guess we won't know until we see Prometheus

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Queen7 on Mar 20, 2012, 12:28:43 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 20, 2012, 12:25:00 AM

Why would it land there on the rocks and why would a fachugger get out if they landed I feel like they would have took precautions

There is no indication in the terrain of a crash, and MALFUNCTIONS happen.

If aliens are biomechanoid weapons, then let's make a metaphor.

A bomber has to land because of a malfunction in one of the warheads that's causing a radiation leak. The vehicle lands, and security/quarantine measures are put into place, but the pilots die from radiation sickness.

Maybe the Jockey ship was struck by a meteor or was damaged in a solar flare whilst passing through the system, ir attacked by enemies of the Jockey's, and it put down on the planet for repairs.

Again, the strange terrain doesn't really imply that the ship crashed, AND it was the nature of the thing in the story in several drafts that the craft had landed and encountered this thing, and never made it back off the planet again.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Maybe he was trying to maintin his ship after the impact with the Prometheus but the Chestburster kills him by bursting his chest, He dies on the pilot chair and the Derelict crashes.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

I doubt this is LV-426, I just don't think it's plausible. Even with alien technology, to terraform an entire moon in 30 years yet somehow forget to make the atmosphere breathable, when this planet appears very habitable already?  Coincidence, I think not. Like I said, it could be a neighbouring moon, but I think even that is pushing things given what people here who know their stuff have commented.   

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Mar 20, 2012, 12:34:32 AM
Maybe he was trying to maintin his ship after the impact with the Prometheus but the Chestburster kills him by bursting his chest, He dies on the pilot chair and the Derelict crashes.

I just want to point out that the way this thing crashes is... Well Prometheus (in the close up of the collision) collides with one of those openings that the Nostromo crew entered through on the other craft. ... The exact one. (The left one). Likely, there would be so much damage in that area that I very much doubt the ship is the same derelict.

arachnophilia

arachnophilia

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Mar 20, 2012, 12:34:32 AMMaybe he was trying to maintin his ship after the impact with the Prometheus but the Chestburster kills him by bursting his chest, He dies  on the pilot chair and the Derelict crashes.

i just really don't think they're supposed to be the same ship. it takes a lot of "maybe" ad hoc reasoning to make them the same.

they're visually different, too. the new one is much more geometric than the old one. a lot of the comparison screenshots hide this, but the original was shaped organically, like a set of bones. it looked more like this, whereas the new one looks more like a section of a circle. it's also been trimmed a bit, and the arms are now in the same plane as the body, instead of curving up.

i'm not saying this is proof they're different; they might have been meant to be the same design. it's certainly close enough that everyone except the hugest giger nerds (like me) thinks they're practically identical.

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 20, 2012, 12:36:39 AMI doubt this is LV-426, I just don't think it's plausible. Even with alien technology, to terraform an entire moon in 30 years yet somehow forget to make the atmosphere breathable, when this planet appears very habitable already?

to be fair, they are wearing helmets, at least when they're outside the temple. but it really does look way more mild. maybe the nostromo set down in a storm -- but it stormed the whole time the marines were there too. i think that's just the place's climate.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 20, 2012, 12:39:32 AMI just want to point out that the way this thing crashes is... Well Prometheus (in the close up of the collision) collides with one of those openings that the Nostromo crew entered through on the other craft. ... The exact one. (The left one). Likely, there would be so much damage in that area that I very much doubt the ship is the same derelict.

it appears undamaged in the other shots, though. it's hard to say what happens exactly (trailers can be out of order) but it sort of looks like the prometheus blows up on it, knocks it out of the air, and does very little actual damage.

Face Jockey

Face Jockey

In the Prometheus trailers we see both the Jockey ship AND Prometheus crashing, but as somebody pointed out here, on LV-426 in Alien there is no sign of the wreckage of Prometheus.  Also there is no sign of many of the other things shown in the trailer such as the pyramid (with other Jockey suits), the area where the ground opened up that we see the Jockey ship both launching from and then crash-landing nearby.

There's no reason why it couldn't be a different Jockey ship, and we probably will be left to guess why the original one in Alien was where it is and that one could have been there for centuries.

The Weyland timeline does seem to make it clear that they are either elsewhere on LV-426 specifically, or a nearby moon. It's possible the original discovery of LV-426 was related to the beacon from the original derelict, but at a different coordinate or even different moon than Prometheus visits.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

Sure the appendages of the ship"s" are clearly different between the Teaser and the Trailer but the shot/scene seems to be the same.

SM

SM

I'm not keeping up on the endless and ultimately fruitless speculation, but has the constellation been identified?

At a quick glance it looks like part of Ursa Major with the dude pointing to Dubhe (aka Alpha Ursae Majoris).  It's visible in northern and southern hemispheres so would correllate with it being present n a bunch of different civilisations world wide.  However it is a binary system, and I can't recall seeing more than one sun in the trailers.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 20, 2012, 12:36:39 AM
I doubt this is LV-426, I just don't think it's plausible. Even with alien technology, to terraform an entire moon in 30 years yet somehow forget to make the atmosphere breathable, when this planet appears very habitable already?

Yeah, remember Ashs rundown of the LV-426 characteristics in Alien - deep cold, methane atmosphere or something like it.

What kind of terraformers would the engineers be, if they make the worlds more hostile to lifeforms than they were to begin with?

Hudson

Hudson

Ridley Scott just made an announcement that this movie takes place on LV-425!  :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed