The biggest mindf**k for me (SPOILERS!!!!!)

Started by Hive Tyrant, Jun 01, 2012, 12:31:22 AM

Author
The biggest mindf**k for me (SPOILERS!!!!!) (Read 10,419 times)

cmdcnqr

Oh, the pain! I'm soooo jealous! you lucky english Bahstads! We still have another 7 days to go, before we enjoy this movie in all its 3D majesty. I'm still going to prowl the newsgroups and see if someone had the decency to do a CAM. Overrall, sounds like a pretty good movie! sigh

whiterabbit

Honestly I thought this would have been explained... or was it?

However as far as mind f**ks go... the rumored mind f**k was that you do not actually die; as in there is an after life. Did anyone see anything like that in the movie?

r888

Damn I wish I live in uk

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 01:08:00 AM
Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Jun 01, 2012, 12:31:22 AM
Well, here it is. I'm just going to say it: Prometheus turns the whole Alien franchise into a spinoff, retrospectively. Everything that happened in all those movies is just what happens when the Engineers f**k up and leave their shit lying around. The REAL storyline here is their desire to kill us, the unknown motivations for that and their also unknown motivations for creating us. And their still mysterious origins. The Engineers are the overarching plot device here and they're still a huge mystery. The xenomorphs? All the events in the Alien franchise? Just accidental byproducts of the Engineer's attempts to create or harness very dangerous organisms as weaponry and then fail. Inconsequential when compared to the scale Prometheus injects into the franchise.

In one sentence, the Alien franchise is what happens when people find the rebellious and discarded weapons of their makers. That's what I think, anyway. And it blew my goddamn mind. And I love it.

Hive Tyrant,

First, let me state I am very happy that you enjoyed.  I am happy that it "blew your mind".

However, IMHO, I for one am extremely dissapointed that (in your own words), we are provided absolutely no answers, no motivations for:

A)  Why did they create us in the first place?
B)  Why did they decide to wipe us out?
C)  What are their ultimate origins, in the first place.

The very fact that Lindelof and Scott did not feel it necessary to answer even ONE of these fundamental "big" questions...tells me that they either didn't give a flying f**k, or didn't have any answers in the first place (or a combination of the two).

Just got back from the midnight showing in the UK. The film does ask a lot of questions nd only answers a few of them, however i still felt the film had direction. I got the feeling that Prometheus was very much a part one of a two part prequel (why the hell did they do that at the very end? Seriously this film didnt need to cater to the fan boys at all). What i find very positive though is that it felt like it was planned (apart from the last shot), giving me a feeling thay Ridley knows the story to the sequel.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jun 01, 2012, 01:53:07 AM
Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Jun 01, 2012, 01:50:29 AM
Quote from: Deuterium on Jun 01, 2012, 01:46:13 AM
Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Jun 01, 2012, 01:28:30 AM
I'm not disappointed by that at all. Prometheus lifts a small tip of the veil surrounding the Engineers but a whole lot more about the Alien creature, funnily enough. It expands dramatically on their life cycle and makes them, in my opinion, infinitely more "alien" than before.

The fact that none of those questions are answered is what's so great about Prometheus in my opinion. It gives us the Engineers and expands massively on the universe... but, yet, tells us absolutely nothing. It raises more questions than it answers, but it raises much bigger questions than before. The questions used to be "what are the space jockeys?" and "did they make the aliens?". Now the questions are "why did the Engineers make us?" and "what did we do to deserve their wrath?"... along with "what the hell are the Aliens really?", which is the greatest possible thing it could have done.

Prometheus also leaves plenty of wiggle room for a sequel. In fact, it splits the story into two branches: one has already been explored and deals with the bio-weapons they created: the Aliens. But when you look at the other one that is yet to be explored and developed (the origins of the Engineers, their motivations and their true nature) it seems subservient. Less consequential. The franchise we cherished and loved all these years is just a part of a larger, overarching epic about humanity's creation and our unfathomable makers.

In fact, I'd love to see a sequel to this. Prometheus sets the stage and raises the questions... questions so big they deserve their own movie, in my opinion.

So the very premise of this film is to raise fundamental questions that cannot be answered (at all) within the scope of the film...but only in some potential, hopeful sequel?  Is that what constitutes clever storytelling, these days?

I wouldn't call that the premise of the film, no. It's what I thought after I had processed everything that happened. While I was watching the film I was just engrossed in kickass sci-fi set pieces and body horror. At no point while watching the film did I feel like the answers were missing. I was completely content watching everything unfold as it happened and by the time the credits rolled I was just delighted at the (in my opinion) great film I'd seen.

And now I want to see a sequel. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and now I want more. Surely that is the hallmark of a good film?

Never wanted more when I saw 2001 A Space Odyssey or Blade Runner personally.
Those movies just pleased me sooooooo much that no sequels were needed.
And time have been very kind to both.  :D

True, true. I can't really compare them to Prometheus in my mind. Prometheus has deliberately been crafted as a sequel-friendly movie. Despite that I had a really grand time watching it and because of it I'm really excited for more.

Director's cut? I wouldn't be surprised. As far as choppy scenes go, I'd have to watch it a second time, but the pacing feels a bit off in places, especially the beginning. It could benefit from more build-up and character interaction. It moves so fast I was actually afraid the pacing was completely wrong but so much happens after what I assumed would be the point where the wrapping up starts that it doesn't really matter. But a longer cut would fit with the larger scale of events in Prometheus.

I saw nothing about an afterlife. There's talk about the various religious afterlives early on in the film but after that it doesn't resurface.

The last shot hfeldhaus mentions made my mind eject out of the back of my skull since I really didn't expect that to happen so late into the film. xD
Spoiler
Mostly because, due to the very, very last seconds, I thought it was an Alien Queen. The way the jaw looks right at the end? That realization made me gasp for air. Of course I could very well be wrong but the thought was so powerful it made the whole experience really intense.
[close]

The Monster´s mother

I had to admit it, that I felt a little bit of disappointing, or more like I expected a little more, it´s weird... but nevertheless is a great movie, which I´ll watch again and again...

BioMechanical

What i want to know is - does the engineer ever put on the space jockey suit like the two that are standing in the hallway of the derlict?

Hive Tyrant

The only living Engineer in Prometheus is wearing the space jockey suit but not the helmet at any point during its on-screen time.

It also appears to be a somewhat sleeveless version of the suit as its lower arms are exposed -- and they look like they've been tampered with. His arms, that is.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:22:33 AM
What i want to know is - does the engineer ever put on the space jockey suit like the two that are standing in the hallway of the derlict?

Spoiler
No but the suites are definately much taller than I expected, 12 feet at least, and that leads me to think the one left behind was also very young like the one at the beginning of time
[close]

BioMechanical

So what about the scene from the trailers where the Jockey is completly suited up, with helmet and all, sitting in the juggernaut chair?

Samayel

Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:34:54 AM
So what about the scene from the trailers where the Jockey is completly suited up, with helmet and all, sitting in the juggernaut chair?

Spoiler
That suit is an integral part of the chair.
[close]

BioMechanical

Quote from: Samayel on Jun 01, 2012, 02:36:21 AM

Spoiler
[close]

So it's not the same suit? Why are people saying that the eingineer never dawns the helmet and suit, when it clearly show him or some other engineer suited up in the trailers?

nendo

Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:39:32 AM

Spoiler
[close]

So it's not the same suit? Why are people saying that the eingineer never dawns the helmet and suit, when it clearly show him or some other engineer suited up in the trailers?

Spoiler
because the shot in the trailer is realy the only shot in the movie of the living space jockey with the suit on. Its part of the chair. The suit in shown multple times throughout the movie. But they are either from dead bodies or fuzzy holograms[\spoiler]
[close]

BioMechanical

Quote from: nendo on Jun 01, 2012, 02:45:51 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
because the shot in the trailer is realy the only shot in the movie of the living space jockey with the suit on. Its part of the chair. The suit in shown multple times throughout the movie. But they are either from dead bodies or fuzzy holograms[\spoiler]
[close]

Spoiler
So he sits in the chair and the suit and helmet fold onto him?
[close]

nendo

Quote from: BioMechanical on Jun 01, 2012, 02:48:50 AM
Quote from: nendo on Jun 01, 2012, 02:45:51 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
yep. There one extra seen of the helmet being applied but that is all you see of the living space jockey in the suit[\spoiler]

Spoiler
So he sits in the chair and the suit and helmet fold onto him?
[close]
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed