Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 322,648 times)

SiL

SiL

I'm happy to go into it but I'm not sure where leaving gear is coming from in with  the rest of the conversation.

My focus is on the line between a character that tries to dominate a situation and a character who's a sponge and doesn't give a shit. For me the former is key to the Predator's characterisation and its absence is what I feel detract from Feral.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Also, Feral has control over every situation in the movie up to Tabee using his spear on him. The wolf, the bear, even the hunters, it's all him messing around for fun. The bear scene actually demonstrates this really well, he brawls with the bear, not using his blades, spear or speargun, he is brawling it because he wants a challenge, as soon as he gets tired of playing with the bear, he instantly kills it with a punch that cracks it's head/neck, he had full control, he doesn't mind taking a bit of damage.
 Same thing with the hunters, he knew they were planning something, but decided to walk in anyway to give himself a challenge, once he got bored, he killed them all with the mines.

SiL

SiL

He doesn't have control. He walks in not knowing what anything is, getting mauled by a bear, not rethinking when his cloak doesn't work, getting surrounded, and not showing any caution at the end.

His only control is that he's a bullet sponge and can survive his mistakes.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Now you are just being purposely ignorant about what happened in the movie.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 28, 2022, 10:00:43 AMAlso, Feral didn't simply "walk in the middle of 10 people" like some of you keep saying, he fell to a trap, why do you need to be purposely ignorant of what happens in the movie to try and make a point?

But he did literally walk nonchalantly to that thrap though.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 28, 2022, 10:58:22 AM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Aug 28, 2022, 10:00:43 AMAlso, Feral didn't simply "walk in the middle of 10 people" like some of you keep saying, he fell to a trap, why do you need to be purposely ignorant of what happens in the movie to try and make a point?

But he did literally walk nonchalantly to that thrap though.
He walked into the trap, but not in the middle of a crowd like people keep saying

oduodu

oduodu

sorry double post

overthere

overthere

The argument that Feral does not know what humans are capable of is exactly the point SiL and I are trying to make.
He doesn't spend time studying humans to determine what they might be capable of. He just jumps in assuming they can't hurt him much, which is really really stupid of him.

Jungle Hunter did not underestimate Dutch and his team. When he saw Mac approaching when he was about to take the body, he ran away.
Exact same scene is in Prey, but Feral just walks up and starts removing his darts out of the body, while previously being shown that he sees their bow and arrows as weapons. He just did not care. That's stupid.

Jungle Hunter ran away before Mac even thought of getting the minigun, and a single bullet wound to the leg meant a painful healing for Predator.

At the end, Jungle Hunter does not even underestimate Dutch. He notices a trap and walks around. He just didn't fully understand the scope of the trap and was itchy to get it over with.

But you don't go into a hunt without knowing your prey. That's like hunting 101.
Feral is just a regular brainless monster.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:22:21 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 28, 2022, 08:31:44 AMjust agreeing with the gripes of a member of this forum. iv e watched everything i could find on youtube about this movie and this is  the gripe i have with the movie too.

i didnt have too watch the full movie to come to the same conclusion.
Yeah please do see the film before criticising, you might actually disagree with me.

i doubt it.

overthere

overthere

Unrelated to the topic of Feral being a poorly written Predator or not, I have a problem with the idea of Predator prequels.

I would prefer if Jungle Hunter was the first time a Predator got killed by a human. That is sort of the reason why its the first movie and hinted at a long history of coming to Earth. We don't see Hopper story because that's also not the outstanding story of an encounter where a Predator got killed.

If more prequels come up, it will create a sense that Predators are regularly killed on Earth, throwing dirt to the statement of their superiority. It will be a theme, oh, every once in a while a Predator comes to Earth, but don't worry, this is like the 20th that we killed.

Tagline should be "if it's in the movie, we will kill it".

That's actually not just a prequel problem. Every new Predator movie will do a dent in the statistics of Predators achievements.

We either need a movie in which a Predator survives, or a movie which clearly establishes how rare it is that a Predator dies. A movie set in future saying Predator hasn't been killed in the last 100 years of something, ever since they learned we adapted, they became even better or something.

oduodu

oduodu

[/quote]

It's very different to Jungle Hunter, but still showing a hunter that tries to give itself every advantage and control every situation for maximum success. That's a key thing Feral lacks for me.
[/quote]

yep

overthere

overthere

Quote from: oduodu on Aug 28, 2022, 11:37:59 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 28, 2022, 09:22:21 AM
Quote from: oduodu on Aug 28, 2022, 08:31:44 AMjust agreeing with the gripes of a member of this forum. iv e watched everything i could find on youtube about this movie and this is  the gripe i have with the movie too.

i didnt have too watch the full movie to come to the same conclusion.
Yeah please do see the film before criticising, you might actually disagree with me.

i doubt it.

Why haven't you seen the movie?
It sounds like you spent more time watching and reading about the movie than the movie's actual length is.

I wish Predators ended with the Classic Predator winning, taking Brody and the girl back to Earth, and a nice scene after he drops them off showing he's scanning the Earth for current military conflicts and picking a place to go, leading into the next Predator movie in which the Classic is again the Predator we see in action.

oduodu

oduodu

because i cant where i am at the moment. it be a few months. i do apologise. i just want make something clear. i value this webiste's  opinion more than any  other. i dont trust the msm and their opinion on anything. nor do i trust youtubers opinion  i have seen a bit on youtube actually i could have seen the full final fight but decided not to. i look at certain members reactions to this movie based on the knowledge that their previous record of posts have always been on par and insightfull and that it rarely changed ove say a 5 yer period. a lot of people here right now will leave the site and we wont see them again. i am trying to guage if the people whose opinion i know and trust doesnt  change overnight . thats how i know what to think. as  i am not as invested in predator as in alien i am trying to guage what the these long time fans think of the movie.

that covers sil and corporal.

my main issue is the portrayal of the predator. what i think is not important. does the long time fans also agree with the way the predator has been portrayed?

and ffs i have seen enough of the movie to ask a valid question like that.

sil has gripes with it
corporal seems to love it(i think based on his review)
aj had similar issues(saying that predator felt more like a slasher than a predator)

i just want to know what the long time fans thinks of the pred in this movie.

ty

426Buddy

426Buddy

Feral watches his prey, uses his technology to hide, and moves through the trees. We see him tracking when examining the cigar and leaf. We see him in the trees watching the Comanche and taking note of their weapons. He uses tactics, advanced weapons, and combat skills. He looks for the strongest prey to provide the most challenge.

Feral only goes berserk when he is ambushed by many foes and unable to cloak. He uses his full arsenal, kills them, and escapes the situation via the trees/bombs. He's never really in any trouble until he fights Taabe,  where he uses his cloak to win the fight. After that Naru is the one hunting him until the end of the film.

Taken in context of the events shown I think Feral absolutly acts like a predator. Comparisons to Jason Vorhees and slashers don't jive with the film I watched. But much like the myth that Feral didn't know how to use his bolt gun, i'm sure this Jason comparison will be around forever now.

Highland

Highland

My dudes , jungle hunter observes that Dutches team have enough firepower to level a city block.

Feral observed that the wolf's not all that, knows the bears not all that, then clearly (on screen) examens that the tribe only have stabbing weapons. He even takes the first one out with the long ranged weapon just to see what happens ( nothing happens) .

These things are not the same.

There is literally no reason for feral to think that these guys are Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

PS. I LOVE P2. City Hunter is my favourite.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed