King Alien

Started by genocyber, Jun 06, 2016, 04:23:23 PM

Author
King Alien (Read 6,265 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 08, 2016, 02:12:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Aliens Defiance is in-canon for the moment and they are doing Praetorians and eggmorphing.

I'm going to guess that fox considers them canon at least for the time being.

I've always been ok with eggmorphing (and the normal Queen) since we can safely consider anything that appears in the films as canon. But the Praetorians and Higher Queens have always sounded a bit iffy to me. Also, I'm a bit wary with what Fox considers canon though, didn't they consider Aliens: Colonial Marines as canon at one point?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 08, 2016, 02:23:07 PM
[Too bad this message board doesn't support "mentions" so we can bat signal SM whenever we need him to make a definitive ruling in a thread.
@SM

If I remember correctly, Xenomrph had the honour of working with SM on a project in the past. Maybe he would know SM's professional opinion on the matter?

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 08, 2016, 02:31:46 PM
I PM'd SM to let him know that you guys need him, no need to thank me  :)

Now, that's just rude Buddy! Shame on you!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Well with this franchise being under Fox's control, canon has been and is fluid and ever changing. What is canon today probably won't be this time next year.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 08, 2016, 02:47:16 PMIf I remember correctly, Xenomrph had the honour of working with SM on a project in the past. Maybe he would know SM's professional opinion on the matter?

Perhaps they're both hard at work collaborating on the Grand Unification Project to merge all the Alien EU seamlessly with the canon and don't have time for our silliness.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 08, 2016, 02:50:03 PM
Well with this franchise being under Fox's control, canon has been and is fluid and ever changing. What is canon today probably won't be this time next year.

This. As it stands, Defiance is currently canon so we have our Praetorian-ish, kinda Alien. And we'll get our eggmorphing when that issue hits the stands. but it all just change.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Ugh.  So what does this new Praetorian look like?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Posted a pic, turns out it isnt the Praetorian lol just a pic Tristan did of the spitter in ACM

Aliens: Defiance has been excellent so far... I highly recommend picking up the first 2 issues if  anyone is interested.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Fugly.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

The Sideshow figure is pretty cool but pure fanfiction.

I am not a fan of this, or the predalien or indeed other variations of the Xeno based on the host, or the Queen facehugger, eggmorphing, or the queen mother, or the albino alien.

Queen > Egg > Facehugger > Host > Chestburster > Xeno is enough of a life cycle for me.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 08, 2016, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 06, 2016, 07:44:35 PM
I'm pretty okay with higher Queens and Praetorians, though.

Does anyone know if SM ever approved/ratified the higher Queens and Praetorians? In other words, are they considered canonical?
You could message SM and ask him. :P

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 08, 2016, 02:23:07 PM

Does anyone know if SM ever approved/ratified the higher Queens and Praetorians? In other words, are they considered canonical?

Too bad this message board doesn't support "mentions" so we can bat signal SM whenever we need him to make a definitive ruling in a thread.

@SM
I haven't seen that feature on many boards, to be honest.
I'm not so sure about "definitive rulings", though. An opinion, sure. ;)

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 08, 2016, 02:02:53 PM
The albino drones always seemed like a waste of a host to me. 
For some reason in my head I always pictured the albino drones as being akin to those dog-sized red-and-black beetles from 'Starship Troopers' that you see carrying around the Brain Bug, to the point that they didn't even look like xenomorphs in the conventional sense. NECA's upcoming action figure really caught me off guard because it's not what I pictured in my head at all.

QuoteAlso, I'm a bit wary with what Fox considers canon though, didn't they consider Aliens: Colonial Marines as canon at one point?
They did, and they considered the old EU to be canon (and apparently still consider parts of it to be canon). If you don't like what FOX considers canon, just do what everyone does and decide for yourself. :)

QuoteIf I remember correctly, Xenomrph had the honour of working with SM on a project in the past.
We worked on an EU timeline over a decade ago.

QuotePerhaps they're both hard at work collaborating on the Grand Unification Project to merge all the Alien EU seamlessly with the canon and don't have time for our silliness.
I'd be fine with working with SM again, but I doubt the feeling is mutual. :P
I also doubt he'd support a Grand Unification Project anyway, he's been pretty against it in the past. I've been championing that idea for years (and making it work through "fuzzy continuity").

QuoteI am not a fan of this, or the predalien or indeed other variations of the Xeno based on the host
How do you feel about 'Alien3'?

SM

SM

I don't have any authority to ratify anything - just suggest and advise. And, no.

Unless one defines a Praetorian as an adolescent Queen (and not the more common definition of 'royal guard'). To the extent of my knowledge, the thing in Defiance #2 was a young Queen. Tristan would obviously know more than me since he drew it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2016, 10:29:50 PM

I don't have any authority to ratify anything - just suggest and advise. And, no.

Unless one defines a Praetorian as an adolescent Queen (and not a the more common definition of 'royal guard'). To the extent of my knowledge, the thing in Defiance was #2 a young Queen. Tristan would obviously know more than me since he drew it.
He posts on this board on occasion, doesn't he? I haven't been reading Defiance (I have neither the money nor space to buy comics in single issues that I know I'm going to get in collected volumes later) but I remember someone mentioning in the Defiance thread that a Praetorian was featured in the Free Comic Book Day story.

The "young queen" and "royal guard" ideas aren't entirely incompatible - older EU sources sometimes depicted Praetorians as both anyway.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 08, 2016, 10:18:57 PM
I'd be fine with working with SM again, but I doubt the feeling is mutual. :P
I also doubt he'd support a Grand Unification Project anyway, he's been pretty against it in the past. I've been championing that idea for years (and making it work through "fuzzy continuity").

How does fizzy continuity work?

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2016, 10:29:50 PM

Still as pathologically modest as Nelson Bighetti.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

We don't necessarily know "the truth", we know approximations of it with varying degrees of certainty. Think of it like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, Schroedinger's Cat, or quantum superposition - it allows seemingly contradictory information to coexist because elements of both may be true, even if they're seemingly mutually exclusive. Every source adds to a more complete picture of "the truth" even if certain details are seemingly contradictory.

A practical example:
How do you feel about the multiple versions of each of the Alien movies?

Thomas H.

Thomas H.

I love the look of the Alien King, the design and detailing is perfect.
Don't need it in my movies though. The Queen is still top of the bill as far as I'm concerned.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Bughunter S. Thomson

How do you feel about 'Alien3'?

I like it as a movie, but The Runner opened the floodgates for the idea that the alien changed with the host, and we get the Kenner toy line and designs which, in my opinion anyway, don't stand up to the original. I thought an interesting thing was the human skull at the front of the head in the original, like an echo of it's 'parent.' I've often thought what it might look like if there was a dog's skull visible at the front and so on, but that might look a bit crap.

Alien 3 is a film I appreciate more with every watch, but a lot of that is knowing that it is Ripley's requiem, and the hell Fincher had to go through.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed