King Alien

Started by genocyber, Jun 06, 2016, 04:23:23 PM

Author
King Alien (Read 6,329 times)

genocyber

genocyber

Do you think a King Alien is something we should see in future Alien films?
Or do you think that a King would be too much like a Queen?

Gash

Gash

Nope, hate the whole concept. King, Queen, whatever. Eggmorphing was the more horrifying way of reproduction and it should return.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: genocyber on Jun 06, 2016, 04:23:23 PM
Do you think a King Alien is something we should see in future Alien films?
Or do you think that a King would be too much like a Queen?

You mean the Jurassic World philosophy?

It belongs in the garbage bin along with the empress and queen mother.  I also could do without praetorians and all the other needless variations of the basic adult solider unless said variations are due to the host they birthed from.

I like the William Gibson 2.0 script for Alien 3 because of how the unaltered alien treated the hybrid.  :)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I could do without an actual dedicated "Alien King". I liked the way the EU handled it because it made it clear that it was a genetically-engineered, man-made monstrosity and not naturally-occurring, and that Alien hives don't tolerate that shit and try to kill it on sight. :P

I'm pretty okay with higher Queens and Praetorians, though.

Kaltes

Kaltes

I don't see how a king could "naturally" work. The Queen reproduces without a mate and she already has warriors, drones, and other such so a king would serve no purpose.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 06, 2016, 07:44:35 PMI could do without an actual dedicated "Alien King". I liked the way the EU handled it because it made it clear that it was a genetically-engineered, man-made monstrosity and not naturally-occurring, and that Alien hives don't tolerate that shit and try to kill it on sight. :P

So it really is the Alien version of an Indominus Rex?  :laugh:

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 06, 2016, 07:44:35 PMI'm pretty okay with higher Queens and Praetorians, though.

Is there any EU concept that isn't so terrible that even you would reject it?  Seriously.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

So it really is the Alien version of an Indominus Rex?
The "Rogue" in the old EU? Yeah, pretty much.

I will say that Sideshow's "Alien King" statue is visually interesting, even if I don't care for the concept that much.

QuoteIs there any EU concept that isn't so terrible that even you would reject it?  Seriously.

I wasn't a big fan of the super-mutating Royal Jelly stuff in the Colonial Marines comic series, and then 'Prometheus' happened (and then Fire and Stone happened) and pretty much made it "canon" via the Black Goo, soooo here we are. :P

I think one of the 'Predators' sequel comics had a four-armed Predator for some reason? That was some wacky shit.

But there really isn't anything I've outright "rejected". I'm pretty tolerant of the Alien series having goofy shit I sometimes don't like, because there's a little something for everybody and if anything it's more "realistic" - real life is chock-full of distasteful stuff people don't like or doesn't make sense or is just plain stupid, so I don't mind when it happens in fiction. I'd much rather have authors and artists take chances and risk a swing-and-a-miss but still be creative, rather than "playing it safe" and letting things get stale.

I should re-read the older EU stuff and see if my tastes have changed, because there's a ton of it that I haven't read in years and I'm possibly basing my opinions on a rose-tinted memory from the last time I read it or whatever.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

No to the King but I'd be fine with a few more variations of Alien. Perhaps those Praetorians or albino aliens Cameron had in mind for Aliens.

Gash

Gash

I thought Cameron wanted little tiny 'worker bee' aliens played by children or midgets. ??

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Gash on Jun 07, 2016, 06:39:32 AM
I thought Cameron wanted little tiny 'worker bee' aliens played by children or midgets. ??
I, uh... thought they were a little smaller but not that small.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The albino drones always seemed like a waste of a host to me. 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 06, 2016, 07:44:35 PM

Does anyone know if SM ever approved/ratified the higher Queens and Praetorians? In other words, are they considered canonical?

426Buddy

426Buddy

I'm pretty sure Aliens Defiance is in-canon for the moment and they are doing Praetorians and eggmorphing.

I'm going to guess that fox considers them canon at least for the time being.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 08, 2016, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 06, 2016, 07:44:35 PM

Does anyone know if SM ever approved/ratified the higher Queens and Praetorians? In other words, are they considered canonical?

Too bad this message board doesn't support "mentions" so we can bat signal SM whenever we need him to make a definitive ruling in a thread.

@SM

426Buddy

426Buddy

I PM'd SM to let him know that you guys need him, no need to thank me  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed