ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 397,363 times)

Engineer

Oh and sorry for any spoilers... In fact, STOP reading now if you haven't played alien isolation yet...

But seegson wasn't really behind the shenanigans in isolation, right? I recall the game telling us that WY bought the station from seegson just before Amanda arrived, because they knew the alien was onboard, then they uploaded their special order 937 to all working joes to preserve the specimen.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 02:19:34 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 02:15:12 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 02:09:41 AM
Is LV-797 located in the same system as LV-223/426?

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue Prometheus.

Found this small description on a website:

LV-797, aka Tartarus, is a WY territory schedule to be terraformed. But it looks a rival company by the name of Seegson (yes!) is prospecting illegally on their grounds. Awesome! For those wondering why I'm geeking out right now, Seegson was the guilty party behind the shenanigans in the brilliant Alien: Isolation. Now we have a nice tie-in between the game and comics universe.

We already had a tie-in between the comics and the game - Amanda Ripley cameos in 'Aliens: Defiance' #1 if I remember right. :)

Yeah, this is an old review of Predator Life & Death #1. I think this came out a few months or weeks before Aliens: Defiance.

Ohhh my mistake, I didn't realize you were quoting someone else's review. :P

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 17, 2016, 02:23:34 AM
Not necessarily.... Check this out:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/superheavy-element-117-island-of-stability/
While that's a really interesting article, the problem is that "Element 117 is still artificially created. The first paragraph of the article is a bit misleading - it talks about "long lived" elements, but what it's really saying is "long lived when compared to other similar elements" the rest of the article makes this a bit clearer. You're still talking about artificial, unstable elements with short half-lives and big radioactive output. Not something conducive to mining, or colonization.

Like I said, if LV-426 was an artificial construct, problem solved. But we don't get any indication from any source that this is the case, or that LV-426 is even remarkable in any way.

QuoteBut I do agree. More likely that lv-426 is larger than smaller and "lambert misspoke" is the explanation I choose.
Thanks. :)

SM

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 17, 2016, 02:30:58 AM
Oh and sorry for any spoilers... In fact, STOP reading now if you haven't played alien isolation yet...

Spoiler
But seegson wasn't really behind the shenanigans in isolation, right? I recall the game telling us that WY bought the station from seegson just before Amanda arrived, because they knew the alien was onboard, then they uploaded their special order 937 to all working joes to preserve the specimen.
[close]

From memory, some at Seegson sought to profit from it, but no, they weren't involved in any grand conspiracy.

Engineer

You're right, "stable" compared to other similar artificial elements is still very short lived, however, the stability of heavier elements is ultimately undetermined. They could be a lot more stable. I remember my p. Chem professor talking about this some, many years ago actually... It's an unknown that warrants scientific exploration.

But back to lv 426... I still think it makes more sense that any mining, at lv 426 or elsewhere, would be for some specific rare isotope or this exotic material mentioned in out of the shadows called trimonite.

And lambert misspoke. Haha

Oooor.... Lv-426 is really made of dark matter! Jk :-)

Nostromo

Nostromo

Hey Engineer, I was thinking earlier on what you said. About the possibility of Calpamos being an ice giant instead of a gas giant. I know Neptune and Uranus are both a blue type colored. (I've also seen both through my telescope, 2 very distinct and unique blue round shapes) Are all ice giants colored that way? I can't find any info. It says the methane in the ice giants absorbs the color red. Calpamos also had that nice rusty brown color that Jupiter has.

Also, I can't remember where I read this the other day, it said Calpamos was situated just after the Habitable zone.  Do you think an ice giant can form there?

This is all the info I can find on ice giant colors. But is this specifically only for Uranus & Neptune?:

"Clouds of methane absorb red light, giving these planets a cyan colour. Ice giants may or may not have rings."

Quote from: SM on Sep 17, 2016, 02:27:25 AM

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue of Prometheus Life & Death.

LV-797, aka Tartarus, is a WY territory schedule to be terraformed. But it looks a rival company by the name of Seegson (yes!) is prospecting illegally on their grounds. Awesome! For those wondering why I'm geeking out right now, Seegson was the guilty party behind the shenanigans in the brilliant Alien: Isolation. Now we have a nice tie-in between the game and comics universe.

797 is not the same system as 436 and 223.  The Engineer ship that leaves 797 takes about a week to get to 223.

Ah :) thx.

Engineer

PS. Does the WYR specify the size of lv-426? What about lv-223? Lv-178? Fury 161? Does it give the planet an official name, calpamos? I vaguely remember hearing that calpamos was never really the official name...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 17, 2016, 02:50:00 AM
PS. Does the WYR specify the size of lv-426? What about lv-223? Lv-178? Fury 161? Does it give the planet an official name, calpamos? I vaguely remember hearing that calpamos was never really the official name...
Calpamos seemed to be a fan-name from before 'Aliens: Colonial Marines', and then some of the tie-in materials for A:CM used it and the name stuck. The name just... appeared on the AvP Wiki and no one could provide a source for it, but now it's been retroactively used in official sources. If it wasn't the official name before, it is now. :P

The WYR says LV-426 is 1200km, and LV-223 is 1400km (which is also hilariously, impossibly tiny, and with that planet we do get good looks at the horizon in the movie :P :D ). I don't recall Fury 161's size being mentioned. Was LV-178 the planet from Out of the Shadows?

Nostromo

Nostromo

Lambert mistaked the number 7 with a 1. It should read 7,200 km. The number 7's on those model screens looked like 1's.   ;D

Xenomrph

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 03:00:35 AM
Lambert mistaked the number 7 with a 1. It should read 7,200 km. The number 7's on those model screens looked like 1's.
Alternately, she read 12000 as 1200. That's the explanation the USCM Tech Manual runs with, and in my opinion it's the one that makes the most sense.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 03:02:33 AM
Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 03:00:35 AM
Lambert mistaked the number 7 with a 1. It should read 7,200 km. The number 7's on those model screens looked like 1's.
Alternately, she read 12000 as 1200. That's the explanation the USCM Tech Manual runs with, and in my opinion it's the one that makes the most sense.

Wow, if it says that in the Manual, that does make better sense.

Even if Calpamos is "only" as big as Jupiter, it's still possible it caught a planet as big as Earth to be it's moon from what I was reading..plus they made them look huge in the movie Alien and in the Prometheus hologram.

Someone would need to go and research or ask some an Astronomer or a Planetary Scientist if 2-3 huge moons are possible to orbit a gas giant. Bishop should go.

Engineer

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 02:48:03 AM
Hey Engineer, I was thinking earlier on what you said. About the possibility of Calpamos being an ice giant instead of a gas giant. I know Neptune and Uranus are both a blue type colored (I've also seen both through my telescope) are all ice giants colored that way? I can't find any info. It says the methane in the ice giants traps the color red. Calpamos also had that nice rusty brown color that Jupiter has.

Also, I can't remember where I read this the other day, it said Calpamos was situated just after the Habitable zone.  Do you think an ice giant can form there.

This is all the info I can find on ice giant colors. But this is specifically only for Uranus & Neptune?

Clouds of methane absorb red light, giving these planets a cyan colour. Ice giants may or may not have rings.

Quote from: SM on Sep 17, 2016, 02:27:25 AM

I forget about it until now while I was reading the new #4 issue of Prometheus Life & Death.

797 is not the same system as 436 and 223.  The Engineer ship that leaves 797 takes about a week to get to 223.

Ah :) thx.

To be honest with you, ice giants are the ones I know the least about. But I can say that yes they can have rings. Rings are actually very common, just not always as promenant as saturns. In fact, Jupiter,  Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and even earth all have rings. Earth's ring is artificial and made up of space junk we've launched into orbit. The reason saturns rings are so promenant and stable is due to its many moons. The moons kind of act like sheppard's hearding sheep. The gravity of the passing moons on either side of the rings pushes enough to keep the rings from falling in or flinging away. The moons are also responsible for keeping the rings separate from one another rather than allowing them to merge into one... Calpamos having Saturn-like rings is very believable/possible no matter what type of planet it is.

But I think ice giants can only form at a distance further away than gas giants. It's still the frost region, but deeper into the region. But I'm sure this can vary, it would largely depend on where the required gases are located in the accretion disk when the planet(s) are forming.

And as far as color goes, I dunno, but what you described makes perfect sense based on my understanding of the physics of light! :-)

Nostromo

One last thought, that website that says Calpamos is 117,000km in diameter, is that canon/confirmed...accurate whatever it's called. The diameter of Calpamos was never mentioned in the CMFM or WYR? I should buy these 2 books already...

SM

Specs in CMTM, but not WYR.  WYR has 426 and 223.

Engineer

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 02:58:08 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Sep 17, 2016, 02:50:00 AM
Calpamos seemed to be a fan-name from before 'Aliens: Colonial Marines', and then some of the tie-in materials for A:CM used it and the name stuck. The name just... appeared on the AvP Wiki and no one could provide a source for it, but now it's been retroactively used in official sources. If it wasn't the official name before, it is now. :P

The WYR says LV-426 is 1200km, and LV-223 is 1400km (which is also hilariously, impossibly tiny, and with that planet we do get good looks at the horizon in the movie :P :D ). I don't recall Fury 161's size being mentioned. Was LV-178 the planet from Out of the Shadows?
Thanks for that. And yea, lv-178 was the planetoid/moon in out of the shadows and sea of sorrows.

gold

gold

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2016, 02:32:11 AM

Like I said, if LV-426 was an artificial construct, problem solved. But we don't get any indication from any source that this is the case, or that LV-426 is even remarkable in any way.

Unlike the other moons, LV-426 is an extrasolar capture by ΞΆ2 Ret IV. It's the reason for the rings around Calpamos.

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 17, 2016, 03:15:35 AM
One last thought, that website that says Calpamos is 117,000km in diameter, is that canon/confirmed...accurate whatever it's called. The diameter of Calpamos was never mentioned in the CMFM or WYR? I should buy these 2 books already...

ACM TM is a free download nowadays if you just search for Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual.pdf its literally the first link in google.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed