ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 397,139 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 11, 2016, 04:49:31 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 11, 2016, 03:30:30 PM
Calpamos is 10x the size of Jupiter, it's not outlandish that it would have earth-sized moons.

As for the size of LV-426/LV-233, it depends on if you want to side with a throwaway line of dialogue from a deleted scene (restored for the "director's cut") which may or may not have been accurate, or the visual evidence presented in the movies, well-known science facts, and basic common sense.

While I do prefer the visual evidence, I really wish they'd hire an Astronomer or at least ask someone who knows about Astronomy if they want their movies to look more realistic. At the least in the Astronomy areas.

We've never discovered any exoplanet larger than 6x the size of Jupiter (And that was a very rare find). So at 10x...it doesn't really shine as accurate.

List of largest exoplanets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_exoplanets

They had a mix-up and hired an astrologer instead.

Nostromo

Nostromo

I did some research and came up with more answers.

First off, I don't know if they hired an Astrologer nor would it have mattered much if they had hired an Astronomer back in 1978. The reason is because most of this information is relatively new and most exoplanets (and Exoplanetology) have only just recently been discovered.

Especially with the Kepler launch in 2009.

From what I read it is impossible for a gas giant that is not closely orbiting its Star (like Jupiter and Calpamos) to grow larger than 1.5-2x the size of Jupiter. If you add more matter the additional gravity would compress the gas giant, in other words, it would get smaller, but at the same time heavier or more massive.

Some Gas Giants, called Hot Jupiters, witch are orbiting next to their stars, can get inflated to much larger sizes. Like most of the ones on that list that are 2-6x are hot Jupiters and shouldn't even be discussed as you can't explore or build on them.

So therefore the maximum size of a gas giant like Calpamos, according to science, is 2x the size of Jupiter, or a diameter of 280,0000km. Therefore a moon the size of Earth is possible.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I find it's best to just ignore the CMTM.

I discovered yesterday that it also confused the Solomons (as in the islands on Earth from which the Nostromo launched) with a distant star system:laugh:

Also, "Thetis."  :laugh:

Nostromo

Nostromo

Does it say how big Calpamos is in either the CMTM or WYR?

A large moon could be possible. I found this very interesting answer. It's possible someone who saw Prometheus and wanted a similar answer, asked it.

Is it possible for an earth sized planet to orbit as a moon around a gas giant?

On a Super-Jupiter or Brown Dwarf yes, (provided that your Planet is outside the radiation belt). Natural Moons of Gas Giants their mass should be less than 0.0001 of the mass of the gas Giant.

Jupiter's moons are pretty massive, but not as massive as Earth, so a Super-Jupiter would suffice. Saturn who's less massive, has less massive moons, Uranus even less.

There would be one problem, Gas Giants form out beyond the frost Zone (that we know of, we don't have gas giants closer in our Solar system for reference, but we see a lot of Hot-Jupiters though) so the moons of the Gas giants would be Water worlds if they're in the Habitable Zone of the parent star (the Gas giant can also generate heat for the moon).

A captured moon is completely plausible though. I wouldn't be surprised if Jupiter moved in and captured the rocky planets of our solar system. Fun fact: Triton is a moon caught by Neptune, so this even exists in our solar system. (Jupiter doesn't move in from perturbations of Saturn.)

How big does the (parent) gas giant have to be to be able to form a balanced orbit? Does "that massive" earth sized planet has to be "captured" to be its satellite, or can it form from debris of the original gas giant materials? Also, does the earth sized planet orbiting gas giants has to be tidally locked?

The physics would work and it has been used a lot in Science Fiction.  But as User says, moons are likely to be much smaller.

An inward-migrating giant might pick up a rocky planet as a new moon.  That would probably mean a very eliptical orbit.

It's also possible that moon-formation in our solar system is not typical and that much bigger moons can form without a capture or the sort of collision that formed the Earth-Moon System.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There would be one problem, Gas Giants form out beyond the frost Zone (that we know of, we don't have gas giants closer in our Solar system for reference, but we see a lot of Hot-Jupiters though) so the moons of the Gas giants would be Water worlds if they're in the Habitable Zone of the parent star (the Gas giant can also generate heat for the moon)."

This is great for the movie, as I'm sure the gas giant Calpamos is far out of the habitable zone and most probably in the frost zone of it's host star, hence the cold moons. There are a lot of possibilities though in Astronomy, so it's hard to say, for example the gas giant could be providing heat to it's moon, etc. even if they are far out in the frost zone..I will check most of Jupiter's moons temp later. :)

What were the temperatures of LV-223 and LV-426 before terraforming? :) 

PS> I hope there are 3 moons and that is not LV-426 in the picture with LV-223 circled. If LV-426 truly is 12.000km than that puts LV-223 at more than 25,000km...highly unlikely. They need to rethink this or better yet just add a name for the 3rd moon :) and pretend that's the one pictured next to LV-223. LV-223 should be as big as LV-426, not bigger, for things to make sense.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 11, 2016, 11:18:03 PM
PS> I hope there are 3 moons and that is not LV-426 in the picture with LV-223 circled If LV-426 truly is 12.000km than tha puts LV-223 at more 25,000km...highly unlikely. They need to rethink this or better yet add a name for the 3rd moon :) LV-223 should be as big as LV-426.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the third moon wasn't even there in 2091.  It may have been a rogue planet that drifted into the gravitational influence of the gas giant and wound up in orbit.

Bughunter S. Thomson

I've looked through a few of the many pages on this thread but I can't see the answer to my question - I just bought the standard edition of this book... Does it have any of the inserts that are advertised in the special edition?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 11, 2016, 09:24:48 PM
I find it's best to just ignore the CMTM.

I discovered yesterday that it also confused the Solomons (as in the islands on Earth from which the Nostromo launched) with a distant star system:laugh:

Also, "Thetis."  :laugh:
the CMTM gets a hell of a lot more right than it gets wrong, and it has fewer mistakes than the WY Report (despite having 10x the content).

Also the WY Report itself (mostly) doesn't ignore the CMTM report. In fact the size of LV-426 is one of the few things it does ignore (and surprise surprise, it's one of the few things it gets wrong, and then drags the size of LV-223 down with it :D )

Does it say how big Calpamos is in either the CMTM or WYR?
Yes, it puts it at 10x the size of Jupiter.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2016, 04:55:39 AMthe CMTM gets a hell of a lot more right than it gets wrong, and it has fewer mistakes than the WY Report (despite having 10x the content).

Wasn't about 95% of the CMTM made-up fluff?

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2016, 04:55:39 AMAlso the WY Report itself (mostly) doesn't ignore the CMTM report. In fact the size of LV-426 is one of the few things it does ignore (and surprise surprise, it's one of the few things it gets wrong, and then drags the size of LV-223 down with it :D )

It's hardly wrong if it's going by the source material.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2016, 12:31:13 PM

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2016, 04:55:39 AMAlso the WY Report itself (mostly) doesn't ignore the CMTM report. In fact the size of LV-426 is one of the few things it does ignore (and surprise surprise, it's one of the few things it gets wrong, and then drags the size of LV-223 down with it :D )

It's hardly wrong if it's going by the source material.

Which is a little misleading since the source material takes place during a deleted scene doesn't it?

HuDaFuK

That scene wasn't even a part of any officially released version of the film until almost a decade after the Tech Manual came out.

426Buddy

Well I only consider theatrical cuts as canon myself, that goes for all films.

Local Trouble

Bah, the CMTM couldn't even get the basics right.

Quote from: SM on Oct 04, 2012, 03:24:01 AMNever paid much attention to the Sulaco speed, but I just had another look and yeah, 0.74ly/day is too slow.  Should be around 1.8.  The length of the Sulaco is also wrong.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2016, 12:14:45 AM
PS> I hope there are 3 moons and that is not LV-426 in the picture with LV-223 circled. If LV-426 truly is 12.000km than that puts LV-223 at more than 25,000km...highly unlikely. They need to rethink this or better yet just add a name for the 3rd moon :) and pretend that's the one pictured next to LV-223. LV-223 should be as big as LV-426, not bigger, for things to make sense.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the third moon wasn't even there in 2091.  It may have been a rogue planet that drifted into the gravitational influence of the gas giant and wound up in orbit.

Hehe, I like your thinking, highly unlikely, but possible.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2016, 04:55:39 AM
In fact the size of LV-426 is one of the few things it does ignore (and surprise surprise, it's one of the few things it gets wrong, and then drags the size of LV-223 down with it :D )

Funny  ;D

SM

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Sep 12, 2016, 12:34:43 AM
I've looked through a few of the many pages on this thread but I can't see the answer to my question - I just bought the standard edition of this book... Does it have any of the inserts that are advertised in the special edition?

I think it has some of them, but not all.  Someone who has the standard version would know more.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Sep 12, 2016, 12:34:43 AMI've looked through a few of the many pages on this thread but I can't see the answer to my question - I just bought the standard edition of this book... Does it have any of the inserts that are advertised in the special edition?

Try here. As SM says, it has some of the inserts but not all of them. The page will tell you what's missing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed