Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 77,025 times)

SiL

Quote from: David's Creation on Jul 05, 2020, 07:56:18 AM
I enjoy some capeshit now and then, but Predator and especially Alien are so far above that. To me, this is like Batman Vs. The Godfather. I love Batman, but can't people see how tacky that would be? Either people respect superheroes way more than I do or they don't respect Alien half as much as I do.
Batman fought Predator and it was probably the best crossover since AvP. It fit so well with both franchises it was uncanny.

Speaking of, Aliens and Predators have already fought Superman, Batman, Judge Dredd, and a host of other comic characters. You've missed the boat on saying they're "above it" -- they've been in the thick of it for decades.

Nukiemorph

As fun little side stories in comics that have no bearing on the main film series. That's fine.

But I'm worried that money will push the entire franchise as a whole into PG-13 action territory, and these reactions on Twitter aren't quelling that fear.

SiL

Quote from: David's Creation on Jul 05, 2020, 10:28:50 AM
As fun little side stories in comics that have no bearing on the main film series. That's fine.

But I'm worried that money will push the entire franchise as a whole into PG-13 action territory, and these reactions on Twitter aren't quelling that fear.
The comics have never had a bearing on the film series and I see no reason they'd start now.

Nukiemorph

Because Disney owns the property and a toned down future is already a concern.

I'm not saying the comics will affect the films, I'm saying the public reactions that we're already seeing will.

The most popular entry in this horror franchise is an action film. The majority of fans just seem to want more marines shooting aliens, and a lot of them seem open to PG-13 entries because the horror isn't a significant element for them.

Disney probably sees that and they're going to capitalize on it, and those of us who value tension and body horror in this franchise will be out of luck.

SiL

People have wanted more marines shooting Aliens since 1986, this isn't new.

What fans are open to a PG-13 movie? Last I checked AvP still got shit for that.

Disney is still running 20th Century Studios as a sub-division which can more than handle R-rated material. This is precisely what they've done in the past with divisions such as Mirimax, which made most of Tarantino's early films and even the Scream movies.

Yes, that's right. Pulp Fiction is a Disney movie.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Technically, I think the forced element of horror did a disservice to Prometheus and Covenant.
Stupid behavior of characters - aimed at provoking danger. Instead of avoiding.
Many meaningless deaths just because. Janek, Chance, Ravel, Vickers (especially!), no-name mercenaries, no-name Daniel's husband, Karine, Cole,  Ricks & Upworth. It seems that in these films, in a logical way, there were many survivors and the writers were simply forced (and lazily) to reduce their numbers.
But I'm talking about horror elements. I also think the PG-13 is totally unacceptable. There can be no debate here. Shaw's operation, chestbursters, acid shower, bitten off heads - this should all be preserved.

Quote from: SiL on Jul 05, 2020, 11:42:48 AM
Yes, that's right. Pulp Fiction is a Disney movie.

1994. Not an argument. Need a fresh example.

Nukiemorph

What fans are open to a PG-13 movie?
I've seen a handful of "I don't care if PG-13 as long as it's gud." Hopefully these are just a few anecdotal examples and my concern is unfounded.

It does seem like current Conan is still pretty violent. But Alien and Predator are bigger IP's than Conan today and if Disney wanted to sell PG-13 marine shoot-em-ups, I think they could sadly do well financially.

(And I know Pulp Fiction is a Disney film, but that was before the Twitter mob existed.)

judge death

Quote from: David's Creation on Jul 05, 2020, 12:28:16 PM
I've seen a handful of "I don't care if PG-13 as long as it's gud." Hopefully these are just a few anecdotal examples and my concern is unfounded.

It does seem like current Conan is still pretty violent. But Alien and Predator are bigger IP's than Conan today and if Disney wanted to sell PG-13 marine shoot-em-ups, I think they could sadly do well financially.

(And I know Pulp Fiction is a Disney film, but that was before the Twitter mob existed.)
If disney sees positive interest from people like you say and especielly younger ones and they decide to add aliens to the avenger movies or most of their hero or venom movies etc it will be pg-13 and people wont mind it, avengers end game is the biggest movie of all time, it wont be good news for us alien fans however and if we do get our own movies it will be tame compared to what we got earlier, unles they allow ridley scott to make his third prequel movie which I doubt.

Pulp fiction was pretty lame when I watched it, when he shot the guy in the car we only see the blood on the window, wow. Then the bdsm part was lame too, not much gore, I was expecting kill bill level of gore but nope :/

Xiggz456

In terms of comic sales Conan outsells Aliens and Predator 3 to 1. People often underestimate how popular Conan is but Conan has been doing better in the sales department since the move to Marvel which leads to more stories getting made (which is what i'm optimistic about regarding Marvel's acquiring A, P & AVP).

SiL

Quote from: Drukathi on Jul 05, 2020, 11:50:20 AM
1994. Not an argument. Need a fresh example.
The fact they have a history of using subsidiaries to release adult content isn't an argument?

Touchstone was another company Disney introduced specifically to do stuff they couldn't do under the Disney brand. They do this in pretty regular cycles. The company understands that not everyone who watches films wants PG-13 fare.

The Twitter mob has nothing to do with what Disney releases under subsidiaries?

SuperiorIronman

There's nothing inherently wrong about a PG-13 take. Both creatures work fine in a PG-13 setting, the problem AVP had in that regard was they didn't know what they could or couldn't show. And thus the film had some lame blood and gore FX as a result but not every film needs a spine rip or a lot of swearing. That being said we've gotten some violence in movies since. The end of Fallen Kingdom for example has the Trex eat a dude while he's still screaming and another animal comes along to take his severed leg, PG-13. Thanos is even decapitated and they still got away with a PG-13. It's all in the presentation and so if it works just fine I don't care about the rating.

Nightmare Asylum

I really don't think Disney bought the entirety of 20th Century Fox just to never make an R-rated film using any of those properties under the new 20th Century Studios banner.

RhubarbLeaves

The Aliens, Predator and AVP Essential Comics Volume 2's have been removed from Dark Horse's website. They are each still showing as pre-orders on Amazon and Forbidden Planet but I've got a feeling they might have all been cancelled as a result of this deal. Shame because I was hoping to collect all of these volumes. Hopefully Marvel will do similar releases.

EJA

Immortal Hulk features plenty of graphic body horror. Seriously, there are times I read it, and say that line from John Carpenter's The Thing to myself: "You gotta be f****** kidding!"

bobcunk

I remember people were complaining because the actor that plays sulu is Korean and not Japanese, i dont even know if they are different races. isnst that the that the same as the hugh jackman playing a Canadian in xmen even though hes Australian?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed