The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 239,951 times)

RakaiThwei

MULTIVERSE!!  ;D

GIVE US A MULTIVERSE!!

ttoole73

I can't wait for this series to start. I enjoyed the last set, so I have high hopes this one will be just as entertaining.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 16, 2015, 01:38:23 AM
MULTIVERSE!!  ;D

GIVE US A MULTIVERSE!!

YEAH!!!  MULTIVERSE BABY!!!!  WOOT!!!!

The Alien Predator

I feel like I'm the only one who is not too keen on the whole multiverse idea. I'd rather that be left to Marvel, DC and Star Trek.

But I am not too bothered by it. I just like the idea of everything being in one giant universe, yet that opens the doors to so many inconsistencies and continuity errors.

I just feel that if we get a multiverse, it might weaken the species in some way. What Aliens and Predators achieve in one medium will not apply to the next.

Technically, we kinda have it anyway thanks to Forever Midnight.

So, do the Yautja have the Hish's planet destroying cannons I read about from Xenopedia?  ;D

Perfect-Organism

I can appreciate the concerns and share them, but this is already de facto.  We have the original Aliens graphic novels with elephant nosed aliens and we have the engineers.  Hence we have a multiverse.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 16, 2015, 07:16:26 PM
So, do the Yautja have the Hish's planet destroying cannons I read about from Xenopedia?  ;D

That's seriously a thing on that site?  :-\

I like the idea of a multiverse because it allows content creators to go in various directions, and presents endless variations. Also it gives fans different paths to follow, I mean even if it isn't explicitly stated, we may have one and I welcome it. Everything and everyone would be validated, nothing and no one would be "wrong".

Fans can have their classic AvP without Super Predators and Engineers along with a desolate and visceral universe , an fans can have the new AvP with Super Predators and Engineers with a occupied and more cerebral universe.

I welcome a multiverse. It also gives fans the email chance to play with the canon.

Ultramorph

The multiverse is good by me. It serves the Godzilla franchise well.

On another note, now that it's sort of starting to look confirmed that Blomkamp wants his movie to be separate from the third and fourth films, I wonder if Rage War will wind up being the end of the Resurrection-verse. Alien vs Predator: Armageddon certainly sounds pretty conclusive.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 16, 2015, 07:16:26 PM
I feel like I'm the only one who is not too keen on the whole multiverse idea. I'd rather that be left to Marvel, DC and Star Trek.

I just feel that if we get a multiverse, it might weaken the species in some way. What Aliens and Predators achieve in one medium will not apply to the next.

I'm the same. I don't want it.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 16, 2015, 08:50:44 PM
I can appreciate the concerns and share them, but this is already de facto.  We have the original Aliens graphic novels with elephant nosed aliens and we have the engineers.  Hence we have a multiverse.

Not really as ever since the retcon those entries haven't been followed. It was less of a creation of a multiverse and more of a fix the current continuity.

The Alien Predator

I can see how some people would want a multiverse, but to me, it feels a bit lazy on the writer's part.

"Something makes no sense? It happened in a different reality."

I don't know, it feels like we suddenly put time travel in this franchise, time travel works great in Terminator, but I can't see it working with Alien and Predator. Similar with how multiple dimensions works well with Star Trek, it doesn't seem to fit with a grounded and harder sci fi that is this one.

Just like Hicks said, they should just try to fix continuity errors rather than just wipe them out. They did the right thing with the name changes in the old novels to incorporate Alien 3. (Quick question about A3 since I hear this whole "teleporting egg" scene, do we actually see an egg on the Sulaco? Or is it just a Facehugger?)

And Ultramorph, I agree that it benefits Godzilla well, but that's because Toho doesn't seem to be sure in which direction to take their franchise, the Showa era is a great example of him being a kid friendly hero in one film then a destructive anti-hero in another to a full blown villain in the next one.

Another cause for concern about retconing is look at how it affected Star Wars, a lot of people got upset that a huge portion of their favourite stories are now redundant thanks to the new Disney canon.

I'd rather they simply say "we won't be mentioning old stories, they happened in the past. This is a new and refreshing start", like look at Rage War, it's set centuries after Resurrection, so it's a new chapter and it would be pretty hard to contradict previous stuff as it's centuries later.

I think Predators had the right idea by simply ignoring everything and just mentioning Predator, it didn't feel like a separate universe, heck, the Predator changes visions, where else do they change visions? Predator 2 and AvP (the foot print vision is used as well)

Keeping things in a single universe and adding to it enriches it more for me, and a multiverse takes away from that enrichment.

But if they do officially confirm a Multiverse, then oh well. I'll try to find some ways to put it all back in one universe in my headcanon.  ;D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 17, 2015, 10:23:59 AMI can see how some people would want a multiverse, but to me, it feels a bit lazy on the writer's part.

Yeah, it jsut doesn't seem appropriate for the Alien series, given how the films are far more grounded in reality. It feels like the kind of thing that should be left to superhero fluff or Star Trek.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 17, 2015, 10:23:59 AM
Just like Hicks said, they should just try to fix continuity errors rather than just wipe them out. They did the right thing with the name changes in the old novels to incorporate Alien 3. (Quick question about A3 since I hear this whole "teleporting egg" scene, do we actually see an egg on the Sulaco? Or is it just a Facehugger?)

Haven't you seen Alien 3? You see the egg somewhere near a strut that says Sulaco.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 17, 2015, 10:38:35 AM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 17, 2015, 10:23:59 AMI can see how some people would want a multiverse, but to me, it feels a bit lazy on the writer's part.

Yeah, it jsut doesn't seem appropriate for the Alien series, given how the films are far more grounded in reality. It feels like the kind of thing that should be left to superhero fluff or Star Trek.

Pretty much the entire reason I dislike it too.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 17, 2015, 10:38:35 AM

Exactly, Huda, the multiverse stuff takes away from the uniqueness of Alien and Predator as it's being done a lot.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 17, 2015, 11:08:39 AM

Haven't you seen Alien 3? You see the egg somewhere near a strut that says Sulaco.

It's been ages since I've watched Alien 3. I only remember the Facehugger.  :-[ Thanks for clearing it up. That's just something we can honestly call a "movie mistake/blooper", and lots of films have them. It can be easily ignored and won't have an effect on the overall story.

Perfect-Organism

But if they do officially confirm a Multiverse, then oh well. I'll try to find some ways to put it all back in one universe in my headcanon.  ;D

Headcanon!  Love it!  made me giggle.. :D

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 17, 2015, 03:14:58 PM

Headcanon!  Love it!  made me giggle.. :D

Ha ha!  ;D Headcanons = everyone wins!

janenad

I can't wait for this novel! I really enjoyed the last Trilogy.  ;D

P.S. I also hate the idea of an alien multiverse  :-* even more than the stupid A3 (and A:Rez) retcon...  :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed