Why Isn't Jon Spaihts Doing Promotion?

Started by ThisBethesdaSea, Mar 21, 2012, 02:59:19 AM

Author
Why Isn't Jon Spaihts Doing Promotion? (Read 1,757 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

It's curious that he's been delegated to the back room and Lindelof gets all the credit?

AsapJockey

He sent this to Prometheus marketing team  :-X

Cvalda

On his twitter he said he'd be doing some promotion for it nearer the release...
Spoiler
right around the point where he said he hates ALIEN 3. >:(
[close]

Space_Dementia

I seen a movie he wrote recently in the cinema, it was so crap I cant actually remember the name...when I found out this was the guy who wrote Prometheus...I did get scared.

ThisBethesdaSea

Well, I'm glad he's gonna be involved later. I'm no Lindelof hater, but I don't like how much the voice of Prometheus he is.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 21, 2012, 02:59:19 AM
It's curious that he's been delegated to the back room and Lindelof gets all the credit?

Because he has been kicked to the side of the curb.  No one can bask in the same golden light as the great and amazing Lindelof.

P.S. -- in the interest of full disclosure, I am not a huge fan of "Shadow 19", nor "Passengers".  But I still think Spaiht's is probably getting the short end of the stick, on this.

First Blood

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 21, 2012, 03:15:51 AM
On his twitter he said he'd be doing some promotion for it nearer the release...
Spoiler
[close]

That's disappointing to hear.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Damon Lindelof was the brains behind 'Lost', a show with one of dumbest conclusions I've ever seen even. Of course the official line is he's working off Scott's ideas, which sounds reassuring, but since when did that stop a writer getting in his 10 cents worth. Indeed, part of the reason the studio hires these people is to really make sure they get what they want.  It doesn't matter if you're Cameron, Lucas, Speilberg whatever, unless they are paying for the movie the director (usually) has the ideas, the writer translates that to the studio and they decided how it goes. The writer writes it again, popping in some his own ideas, and it goes through that process again and again until the studio is happy, it's simple as that, and if that doesn't worry people what might be in store nothing willl.

SM

SM

Lots of writers don't go out doing promotion.  Many films have a bunch of writers anyway, that it'd be cost prohibitive to do a junket for everyone.  The press want to talk to Riddles, Rapace, Fassbender and Theron anyway.  And maybe Lindelof because he has currency via Lost, his association with Abrams, and the fact he was the last writer on this, rather than the first. Spaihts is a relative nobody.

Bad Replicant

Like SM said, Lindelof's got a higher profile in Hollywood and can more easily grab people's attention along with Ridley in raising awareness for the movie. Plus, he was the one who worked side by side with herr direktor on refining the script to make it the film that's in the can. I'm sure Spaihts will start speaking up closer to June and in whatever behind the scenes documentaries end up coming out.

Glaive

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 21, 2012, 04:11:51 AM
Damon Lindelof was the brains behind 'Lost', a show with one of dumbest conclusions I've ever seen even. Of course the official line is he's working off Scott's ideas, which sounds reassuring, but since when did that stop a writer getting in his 10 cents worth. Indeed, part of the reason the studio hires these people is to really make sure they get what they want.  It doesn't matter if you're Cameron, Lucas, Speilberg whatever, unless they are paying for the movie the director (usually) has the ideas, the writer translates that to the studio and they decided how it goes. The writer writes it again, popping in some his own ideas, and it goes through that process again and again until the studio is happy, it's simple as that, and if that doesn't worry people what might be in store nothing willl.

The fact that Scott changed the direction of 'Nottingham' (which became 'Robin Hood') due to an idea Russell Crowe had about the 'Magna Carta' and the 'Charter of the Forest' should leave people relieved THIS FILM is in great hands... ::)

Valaquen

Quote from: RoaryUK on Mar 21, 2012, 04:11:51 AM
This seemed to be the breadth of David Peoples' involvement with Blade Runner. According to Peoples in Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner, he really served as a conduit for Scott to revamp Hampton Fancher's script. The same seems to be going on here.

aliennaire

Well, if the all idea of replacing Spaihts with Lindelof was to infuse Scott's vision into screenplay, why couldn't the first writer be working on that?..  :-\

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 21, 2012, 04:07:58 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 21, 2012, 03:15:51 AM
Spoiler
[close]

That's disappointing to hear.
*smiles maliciously*  ;D

Valaquen

Quote from: aliennaire on Mar 21, 2012, 05:53:19 PM
Well, if the all idea of replacing Spaihts with Lindelof was to infuse Scott's vision into screenplay, why couldn't the first writer be working on that?..  :-\
Likely Spaight's couldn't do what Scott wanted, and directors prefer a 'fresh' perspective.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed