Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 172,521 times)

Xiggz456

I'm about 50 pages in and am enjoying more of the world building! Even though I don't actually play the books still get my imagination running with scenarios in the 2100's. Anyway here's some of the lore/shoutouts from the EU (many of which have already appeared in previous RPG releases).

Hideo Yutani - Origins

Geholgod, Dr Keitel, Throop Rescue - Destroying Angels

Ted Talk

AP patent - Wey-Yu Report

CANC/UNIC - Steel Egg

Hasanova - Into Charybdis

3WExit, New Albion - Colony War

Sevastopol, Gemini Exoplanet Solutions- Isolation

Mendel - Blackout

Wright-Aberra Fuel depot - Defiance

DSMO Marion, Kelland Mining - Out of the Shadows

Rim colony - Outbreak

Rodina Station - Gibson A3

LV-666 - Zero to Hero

Synthetic dogs - Specimen

Dog sized bugs - Exterminators

Plasma Trawler - Harvest

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Oct 26, 2023, 10:34:52 AMI'm about 50 pages in and am enjoying more of the world building! Even though I don't actually play the books still get my imagination running with scenarios in the 2100's. Anyway here's some of the lore/shoutouts from the EU (many of which have already appeared in previous RPG releases).

Hideo Yutani - Origins

Geholgod, Dr Keitel, Throop Rescue - Destroying Angels

Ted Talk

AP patent - Wey-Yu Report

CANC/UNIC - Steel Egg

Hasanova - Into Charybdis

3WExit, New Albion - Colony War

Sevastopol, Gemini Exoplanet Solutions- Isolation

Mendel - Blackout

Wright-Aberra Fuel depot - Defiance

DSMO Marion, Kelland Mining - Out of the Shadows

Rim colony - Outbreak

Rodina Station - Gibson A3

LV-666 - Zero to Hero

Synthetic dogs - Specimen

Dog sized bugs - Exterminators

Plasma Trawler - Harvest

The "dog sized bugs" reference is actually from The Last Supper, which is one of the Covenant shorts. Maggie Faris mentions them.

Corporal Hicks

I finally ordered Building Better Worlds. Looking forward to getting into this.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 30, 2023, 10:30:40 AMI finally ordered Building Better Worlds. Looking forward to getting into this.

The new lore is jaw dropping in it's implications (though a lot of mystery is still left), curious what you'll think of it...

Xiggz456

Read through another 50 pages which puts me about 1/3 through the book. Here's some more lore call outs:

Emergency landing hex capsule - Resistance

Sonic Deterrent Defense Grid, Shanmen - Inferno's fall

Stinger vehicle - Kenner toy

Colonial Transport vehicle "Borrowdale" - Containment

DS-949 - Berserker/Frenzy

Sphacteria Fuel Depot - Dead Orbit

Bionational - Outbreak

Mira Ceti IV, Omni-tech Corp., Tulitu Esoteric Brotherhood - Elder Gods

Xenomrph

Quote from: Still Collating... on Oct 10, 2023, 07:32:00 PMAsk Andrew Gaska on Facebook, that Arcturian thing doesn't make sense. He answers questions on the Free League Alien RPG group if you tag him, but you could also just send him a message and ask politely cause I heard he answers fan questions no problem.
He's told me that the Arctura are the creatures from the old Leading Edge RPG, and the Arcturians are near-humans created by the Engineers.

The way he explained it was that I guess there was an edict from Fox and/or Disney that any sentient races other than humans or Engineers needed to be tied to the Engineers in some capacity, or something like that.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 04, 2023, 12:55:41 AM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Oct 10, 2023, 07:32:00 PMAsk Andrew Gaska on Facebook, that Arcturian thing doesn't make sense. He answers questions on the Free League Alien RPG group if you tag him, but you could also just send him a message and ask politely cause I heard he answers fan questions no problem.
He's told me that the Arctura are the creatures from the old Leading Edge RPG, and the Arcturians are near-humans created by the Engineers.

The way he explained it was that I guess there was an edict from Fox and/or Disney that any sentient races other than humans or Engineers needed to be tied to the Engineers in some capacity, or something like that.

The book does later state outright that the Engineers created the Arcturians, so I don't even know why they bothered with the human expedition thing. It doesn't even make chronological sense.

Still Collating...

Maybe just to let GMs who don't like the idea have a plausible alternative explanation for them, or to justify why everyone isn't talking about them all the time knowing how significant such a discovery would be, so having colonists believe in "conspiracy theories" that they're just a lost colony kinda fits.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 30, 2023, 10:30:40 AMI finally ordered Building Better Worlds. Looking forward to getting into this.

Anything interesting to note so far?

Still Collating...

For lore reasons alone, it's a very fun read cause it adds so much, both the history and the campaign, lot of references to old stuff, moving the timeline and plot along.

Xiggz456

About halfway through the book and am about to read through the actual campaign portion which consists of 7 expeditions. I always have fun reading the campaign as that's where the actual story lies along with a plethora of events that GM's can use to intensify the story. Here's some additional lore bits from the last 50 pages as well:

Pathogen popper, stalker, irritating spores- Fireteam Elite

Perfected - Bloodlines/Icarus

Pathogen infected androids, Deacon Sharks - Fire & Stone

Empress - Female War

Bioluminescent Xeno - Aftermath

Still Collating...

P. S. the Bioluminescent Xeno is really interesting in the RPG, a lot more different than the one in the comic.

Xiggz456

Just finished reading through the campaign and overall I found it to be interesting and enjoyable. I really feel that the campaign is heavily influenced by "The Expanse" which is fine but sometimes feels tonally off from Alien. Regardless I look forward to folks' thoughts on the campaign if they read/play through it and still look forward to more installments!

Still Collating...

I've watched only a few seasons of The Expanse, I loved and really need to finish all of the seasons! :laugh:

Slutty Badger

There're loads of cool references and tidbits - the warden at one of the colonies is named Lohengrin (after the Wagnerian opera of the same name), and one of the 3WE colonies features the HoppĂ­polla lake - whose name is loosely Icelandic for "hopping in puddles", which indicates that Iceland is a 3WE member state.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed