Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 744,746 times)

Razz

Razz

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 13, 2010, 01:20:51 AM
Quote from: Razz on Sep 13, 2010, 12:56:40 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 13, 2010, 12:29:32 AM
So is there online matchmaking for Firefight and Campaign in Reach?
Yes for both.
Holy f**k, praise jesus.

For clarity, I'm talking about being able to sort out a random game with random people, like how you can do Horde mode or Campaign in Gears of War with random pubbies, or like how you can play AvP2010's Survival mode with random people and not just your friends.

Halo Reach will have that for co-op Campaign and Firefight?
Yes i understood you for the first question, no need to repeat yourself.

So again yes for both.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 13, 2010, 06:32:35 AM
Also, when are we going to get a reviewer that has played all of the Halo games, and understood the story of each? You don't need to go out of your way and read the books, you just need the smallest attentention span. For Christ's sake, what do these people think when they watch movies or read books? You'd think these guys would come out of any movie and say something like "DUUURRRP, so DID IT STOP spinning, ERRR what? Cuz I dun wanna think bout it, k?" or "DID HE TURN BLUE??! THAT BLUE ALIEN?? Did HE turn N 2 IT?".

The Gravemind in Halo 2 threw an IGN AU reviewer off. What. Are you kidding me? You can be as basic as you want: It is the "leader" of the Flood. There you go, real simple. And then they couldn't keep up with the Arbiter side of the story- oh Gods don't even get me started.. these guys played Halo: CE, they have no excuse for taking off points in a "professional" review due to their inability to pay attention to a story. And some of these guys haven't even played through the past Halo games. Really, why would anybody want a reviewer with no past experience in the franchise?

/rant

Agreed. Reviewers can't deduct points for not grasping the story if, say, they've only played the third game out of a trilogy, as it happened with the Halo 3 review plague.

But seriously, how hard is the Halo story to grasp? It's interesting, sure, but also very simple.

1. You're the Hulk with guns.

2. You find a space hula-hoop.

3. You fight a group of Aliens.

4. You also fight the Head-crabs from Half-Life.

5. The hula-hoop will kill us all.

6. You blow it up.

7. Repeat until points three and four are false.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 13, 2010, 01:56:32 AM
Quote from: Aeus on Sep 13, 2010, 01:42:34 AM
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 13, 2010, 01:36:50 AM
Quote from: Xhan on Sep 12, 2010, 07:45:23 PM
QuoteHalo's strengths lie in its story and storytelling rather than the inherent action.

Joseph Staten admitted ON CAMERA they pulled 2 and 3 literally out of their asses at the last minute, and most of the budget for three went to multiplayer, which shows in spades.
Then their assholes must've been lined with gold, because just about every fan of the story loved both of them.

lolwat

Spot the b.net user.
It doesn't take a B.net user.

Could have fooled me. Ever been to other gaming websites?

The only thing 2 + 3 did well was the multiplayer, and I will forever love them for it. But the story was nothing special.

Razz

Razz

Ugh! So can't wait to get this bad boy tonight and installed ready for a huge ass play session tommorrow, this day is dragging. :-\

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

I liked Halo 2's story as well. It told its story better than any of the others. Wish 3 had kept that.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Aeus on Sep 13, 2010, 11:50:48 AM
BioWare
Inifinity Ward
Epic Games
Uber Entertainment
Rockstar Games
Ensemble
Blizzard
Bethesda
EA
Ubisoft
LucasArts

Yes, I have.

The only thing 2 + 3 did well was the multiplayer, and I will forever love them for it. But the story was nothing special.
Yeah, that's why they have multiple novels, comics, graphic novels, live-action trailers, and a full-fledged encyclopedia. You clearly just don't see why though. That's okay, but you've gotta realize that there is much more to the game than the multiplayer- you sound like one of the "professional" reviewers.

Also, B.net is the place where the story catches the most shit. I barely see where you were going with that.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 13, 2010, 02:34:13 PM
BioWare
Inifinity Ward
Epic Games
Uber Entertainment
Rockstar Games
Ensemble
Blizzard
Bethesda
EA
Ubisoft
LucasArts

Yes, I have.

And yet you think Halo's story is viewed in such a fond light...

Yeah, that's why they have multiple novels, comics, graphic novels, live-action trailers, and a full-fledged encyclopedia. You clearly just don't see why though. That's okay, but you've gotta realize that there is much more to the game than the multiplayer- you sound like one of the "professional" reviewers.

Merchandise based on the licence is there because there's a market, not because of the story.

Also, B.net is the place where the story catches the most shit. I barely see where you were going with that.

B.net tards are pretty much an internet joke.

VEF214

VEF214

Can't wait to get stuck into my Legendary Edition of Reach!

This splurge will pay off!

;D

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 13, 2010, 02:34:13 PM
BioWare
Inifinity Ward
Epic Games
Uber Entertainment
Rockstar Games
Ensemble
Blizzard
Bethesda
EA
Ubisoft
LucasArts

Yes, I have.

Refutation without reason or sense of history or context is where he's going with it and he's right. Every halo has glowing reviews in the same way madden had unilateral reviews... in the beginning. The same is true here. Bungie's technical prowess is where the core is which has jack shit to do with the story or its framing, or most especially and specifically with its context. Look at the SP framework and then the MP. It's no contest. And the amount of "backstory" is irrelevant, and you bringing it up shows a rather shallow attempt. Quantity does not quality make. There's also a complete disconnect between game relevance and import in the extended products, and just because the witers had access to the Bible doesn't make it better, much less of any significant quality.

Making a story derivative of a consumer's favorite things does magically make it less derivative or shallow, and Reach is by the far the crowning achievement in that regard, there's exactly no new terrirory here, not even the slightest attempt at thematic broadening of the universe.

Reach is about making MP the star of the show in totality, and the squad mechanics of the SP enforce that completely. Bungie and MS know where the money is and anything else is blatantly irrelevant, which is precisely why the story in this game is completely irrelevant. Everything that happens is predetermined, every shocking revelation is neither shocking nor a revelation. Fanpandering =/= raising the bar, much less even trying to reach the previous mark.

Effectz

Effectz

I love the Halo series Single player but i have had bad experiences with the xbox online play such as kids screaming down the mic constantly and stuff like that,also the controls i dont like,i think its because i play FPS on a mouse and keyboard.Also,all the Halo games look exactly the same,just a weapon or 2 but alot of multiplayer options,but they could of done that with a DLC  :-\

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I might go grab a copy at midnight. I'm sure Asda'll be open.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Get there early dude. Last thing you want is to be stuck in a massive line-up.

Razz

Razz

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 13, 2010, 09:30:56 PM
I might go grab a copy at midnight. I'm sure Asda'll be open.
Going to pick my pre-order up at a midnight Launch at game, just 10 minutes from where i live. Its all good. ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 13, 2010, 09:33:24 PM
Get there early dude. Last thing you want is to be stuck in a massive line-up.

I'll turn around if it's a long queue. I can pick it up before work too. Beauty of 24 hour supermarkets, I guess.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

There's something amusing about buying a video game from the same place that sells groceries and I have no idea what it is lol. I always go to specialty stores.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed