Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 118,983 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

Gay vampires and ladyboys? Homophobic much?

Valaquen

Remember the PURGE screen in Blade Runner? 'Connects the universes,' some say. Expect someone to mention a 'company' in Prometheus - canon argument frenzy!

I'm still gutted. If only I hadn't been hyped for so long. I really had faith that Ridley could pull off a pre-Alien Alien movie and not wreck it. I like Ridley's filmography anyway, and especially his two sci-fi flicks, so despite all the wailing I'll still be seeing Prometheus. I'll probably love it too. But it'll forever be connected with Alien now.

As for Alien 5 ... I don't wanna even consider it.

Vertigo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 15, 2011, 12:57:47 PM
Comeon, Johnny, you know better than that. Aliens was given to Cameron based on the talent he'd shown in his script and with the success of Terminator.
Actually they signed him up based entirely on a script draft, they let him delay starting production on Aliens until he'd wrapped Terminator.

Then again, it's bloody rare to find a director who's also a keen and talented writer. Combined with his special effects background, he was a hell of a catch, even as an unproven director. They'd be very lucky to have that opportunity come round again.

Gash

Gash

Cameron's a talented writer? Is there any evidence for this?

Valaquen

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 15, 2011, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 15, 2011, 12:57:47 PM
Comeon, Johnny, you know better than that. Aliens was given to Cameron based on the talent he'd shown in his script and with the success of Terminator.
Actually they signed him up based entirely on a script draft, they let him delay starting production on Aliens until he'd wrapped Terminator.

Then again, it's bloody rare to find a director who's also a keen and talented writer. Combined with his special effects background, he was a hell of a catch, even as an unproven director. They'd be very lucky to have that opportunity come round again.
He only got the job of writing Aliens because of the Terminator script. He then got a 'best efforts clause' which meant that because they were so happy with the developing Aliens script, he'd get to direct it if Terminator was a success. Nothing was set in stone. Cameron speaks about this in the Illustrated Screenplay, I'm sure.
Quote from: Gash on Jan 15, 2011, 02:46:43 PM
None that you'll see, I'm sure.

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jan 15, 2011, 12:29:11 PM

I don't blame FOX for this in the slightest.

And they didnt wait 30 years, they made a whole series of movies in between that you know... and they didn't give a shit for Ridley in the mean time..or Giger. They gave the sequel to a noob, that noob just happened to be James Cameron, and they did it again with Alien 3.

They will do it again, and in a Hollywood that is flooded with screaming Teen's that like gay Vampires and Ladyboys, they will make the movie with that in mind. 'Cause that is economically viable. And so is the Alien franchise.

Expect a low-budget Reboot/Re-Imagening/Remake in the near future without Ridley is all i'm saying.

Oh dear.....

Gash

Gash

I'm not expecting another AVP film ever.

Pretty sure if Ridley is making a Sci-Fi film that even vaguely resembles the tone and ethos of Alien, Fox won't be undermining him by resurrecting b*llocks like AVP.

Valaquen

QuoteRidley told me some of his ideas when we were here in Toronto. He will - there's no question. He has a very clear understanding of where this should go. They kind of stopped dead one of the greatest horror franchises there's ever been, and it had legs to go on. So I'm hoping he'll revive another three, because that would be brilliant. The world certainly wants it, and the fans want it - everybody. It's a landmark. And that first film - you can see it on television and go in three quarters of the way through and you're sucked into it.
Oh, the optimism of Roger Christian. I felt it. Once.

battyfan

The Alien Anthology Boxset had a foreword from Ridley Scott about the exciting vision he had in store for the prequel as well. It seemed that the foreword was a Official announcement of the pequel (at least to me). Just very angry and disappointed right now. In a way though I've always wanted to see a proper end to the Ripley clone storyline from Resurrection as well as going back to a more serious tone with the franchise. Would still love to see a fifth film set on a overly crowded, claustrophobic future Earth and Aliens overrunning the place and maybe Ripley mutating (or evolving into more of an Alien Queen). And then having a sixth film go to the Alien homeworld and possibly destroying the creatures (with or without Ripley depending on how fast she may mutate or who's side she's on). I like the idea of 2 trilogys. The first being with the original Ripley and the second being with the Ripley clone and her connection to the Aliens and the possible destruction of the Aliens in a final epic film.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Gash on Jan 15, 2011, 02:46:43 PM

Yes, a statement from qualified people who are actually in the field and know what theyre talking about. I was shown what a great writer he is in flm school where we were studying his scripts for T2 and Abyss because they were complex and multilayered, and we could learn different aspects from them. I also know that they show T2 in at least 2 more different film schools in 2 different states. Lets not forget that for his writing alone he was honored by NATO , numerous times by Saturn Awards , Academy of scifi , Golden Globes, Satellitle Awards and Writers Guild of America. The Terminator has been selected for preservation. He was also praised by the screenwriting guru, Syd Field. If someone doesnt know who that is, then better do a research fast. His writing was also praised by likes of Spielberg, Jackson and Tarantino, not to mention multiple publications including Times magazine. For just few examples of the complexity and talent, have a read here - http://www.dvdvision.fr/jco/T2Complexity.htm

Valaquen

Syd Field be the screenwriting mastermind.

TheAncientEnemy

Stalker,
This film didn't KILL the Alien prequel, it is a film set in the same universe taking place before Alien. So, in essence, it is still THE OMG ALIEN PREQUEL. Luckily we might no longer have to worry about CG space jockeys flying around and exploding (which I 100% guarantee we would have gotten) and can look forward to something that is probably more in line with the feel of Blade Runner and the first half of the original Alien.

I'm glad for this. Really, Alien is the BEGINNING. Any contact with the creature previous to that distress signal robs the original of it's importance.

This will be great. It's about time for Scott to get back into this genre and to expand the Alien universe with its themes of corporate greed and grit... awesome.

Scott FTW.

Stop getting your panties in bunches. You guys constantly piss and moan about how nobody good wants the franchise anymore, AVP is crap, etc etc. Finally the FATHER of the series comes in and decides to do something artistic with the material instead of showering you with comic book goofiness and, again, the crying begins.

You guys are masochists. Often I think that this fan base deserves what it got with the AVP movies. You get to see these creatures on screen again (which I think is all some of you guys are really worried about) AND you get to whine about it when big bad Fox forced you to go see a movie in the theater that you knew was going to be trash from the get go.

Gash

Gash

Such esteem then surprises me. Cameron's stories don't seem at all complex, and If I was being told so at film school I'd be disappointed. I always thought he needed to employ the services of a rather brutal script editor. And the dialogue he writes - wholly awful. Just my opinion.

If he has an idea for Alien 5, I'd find that a lot more depressing than Ridley no longer making a prequel.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: TheAncientEnemy on Jan 15, 2011, 03:57:02 PM
Stalker,
This film didn't KILL the Alien prequel, it is a film set in the same universe taking place before Alien. So, in essence, it is still THE OMG ALIEN PREQUEL. Luckily we might no longer have to worry about CG space jockeys flying around and exploding (which I 100% guarantee we would have gotten) and can look forward to something that is probably more in line with the feel of Blade Runner and the first half of the original Alien.

I'm glad for this. Really, Alien is the BEGINNING. Any contact with the creature previous to that distress signal robs the original of it's importance.

This will be great. It's about time for Scott to get back into this genre and to expand the Alien universe with its themes of corporate greed and grit... awesome.

Scott FTW.

Stop getting your panties in bunches. You guys constantly piss and moan about how nobody good wants the franchise anymore, AVP is crap, etc etc. Finally the FATHER of the series comes in and decides to do something artistic with the material instead of showering you with comic book goofiness and, again, the crying begins.

Agree wholeheartedly. The latest news is all good.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Gash on Jan 15, 2011, 04:00:14 PM
Such esteem then surprises me. Cameron's stories don't seem at all complex, and If I was being told so at film school I'd be disappointed. I always thought he needed to employ the services of a rather brutal script editor. And the dialogue he writes - wholly awful. Just my opinion.

If he has an idea for Alien 5, I'd find that a lot more depressing than Ridley no longer making a prequel.

the dialogue IS his weakness, thats why Hurd and Wisher used to touch up and help with the dialogue. But his scripts ARE complex, and its all there black on white in the link I provided

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed