Script in the works for PROM Seq

Started by draken161, Feb 27, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Author
Script in the works for PROM Seq (Read 66,601 times)

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 28, 2013, 12:59:09 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 12:12:49 PM"Dismissive" in that he didn't really want to do another movie with xeno's and eggs etc. you mean?

Not at all. He did make a movie with 'xenos' and 'eggs', they were just unintelligible versions of what was already an iconic idea, an idea he thought was overdone.

EDIT: Untalics.
Yep but that's just being pedantic though. There's a world of differnce between devolving the xeno and or showing its origins (wether it works or not) and just doing another movie with xenos with acid for blood leaping about in dark corridors. Surely you don't have to like Prometheus to at least appreciate that they were trying to do something different with the format?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 28, 2013, 03:17:25 PM
That's something I can agree with for sure. Prometheus had the right atmosphere. Nice atmosphere, and nice visuals. Ridley Scott never fails those two aspects in his movies.

Had the right kind of set design (would have been nice to return to guts-and-bones biomechanics of the Engineer interiors, instead of just mechanics, though), but something was missing from the atmosphere, IMO. It says a lot that the original Space Jockey scene is on for a fraction of the time that 'Prometheus' keeps going to the (non-pyramid-shaped) pyramid, but is infinitely more memorable. You kind of just trudge along with the characters through the tunnels of the new one. With the old one, it feels like some kind of desecrated 'tomb of the dark gods' or whatever.

That whole here-be-dragons thing gets conveyed when I watch the original. It doesn't when I watch the new one. Feels like an attempt to imitate, rather than invoke/expand upon.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 28, 2013, 05:12:18 PM
That's something I can agree with for sure. Prometheus had the right atmosphere. Nice atmosphere, and nice visuals. Ridley Scott never fails those two aspects in his movies.

Had the right kind of set design (would have been nice to return to guts-and-bones biomechanics of the Engineer interiors, instead of just mechanics, though), but something was missing from the atmosphere, IMO. It says a lot that the original Space Jockey scene is on for a fraction of the time that 'Prometheus' keeps going to the (non-pyramid-shaped) pyramid, but is infinitely more memorable. You kind of just trudge along with the characters through the tunnels of the new one. With the old one, it feels like some kind of desecrated 'tomb of the dark gods' or whatever.

That whole here-be-dragons thing gets conveyed when I watch the original. It doesn't when I watch the new one. Feels like an attempt to imitate, rather than invoke/expand upon.
There's a minimalism in those scenes from Alien that really help that entire sequence linger long after. Prometheus is much more drawn out and I personally think we spend too much time in those same interiors... It's also worth noting that what we were seeing in Alien was entirely new... Prometheus is obviously re-treading old ground...

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Too much humor in Prometheus - almost as bad as A:R, which is one of the biggest reasons I'm not that fond of A:R.

Alien³

Alien³

Nothing matches the crappy, senseless, humor of A:R, not even Prometheus.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

People are dying... we need guns!

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: OpenMaw on Feb 28, 2013, 06:40:12 PM
People are dying... we need guns!

My god... I'd forgotten.

T Dog

T Dog

I'm well with you there. I hated how modern and boring they made the Jockey stuff. I miss the "guts and bones". It was truly Alien.

Bio Mech Hunter

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 28, 2013, 07:26:48 PM

I'm well with you there. I hated how modern and boring they made the Jockey stuff. I miss the "guts and bones". It was truly Alien.
I can't agree with you more. I couldn't stand it. I'm also upset with the trilobite and deacon designs. They're just so blah.

And don't get me started on the engineers.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 04:34:52 PMSurely you don't have to like Prometheus to at least appreciate that they were trying to do something different with the format?

Of course not, and I do appreciate it, I just think that they failed and ended up making a watered down version rather than something original. Like I said earlier, I am all for new directions. Hell, if Scott is writing let's hope that it is as far away from Alien as possible. He needs to get out of this universe, stat! :P

szkoki

szkoki

OK, MY THOUGHTS ON THE SEQUEL

i'll use spoiler tags because its so obvious it maybe true

Spoiler

not the whole story but at least a segment of it...what do we know so far about the engineers and what Shaw and other possible characters may know regarding the black box Prometheus?

Characters know that Engineers used a military base to make bio weapons and one of their ship was meant to head to Earth.
We know this and that Engineers seeded life on a planet ( on Earth maybe aswell- this is Shaw's theory too).

And in the end of the story Prometheus what do we think about them? "They made us and they tried to kill us."

Good build up to a possible twist Sir Scott if u reasonable! How about always mr friggin negative thinking humanity?!
Yeah we saw that one of them or possible a few of them tried to kill us! What if the twist and the plot are the following....

- Shaw is heading to Paradise
- military rescue team finds the wreckege of Prometheus and its black box, get information about a possible threat for Earth, gets the same info about the Engineer's homeland as Shaw, possible new character as an USMC soldier, maybe a little war with the xeno from the end of the first movie just to prove the threat even more
- its war time, the USMC is heading to Paradise
- Shaw meets the Engineers, few adventures, answers blabla finds out that some outlaw Engineers planned to destroy Earth on that base for some reason but the good ones stopped them by causing that outbrake 2000 years ago
- the good engineers is about to win the battle over the bad ones as only a few of them lives now and few of them owns juggernauts and bio weapons
- USMC arrives and destroys everything even the good one's planet
- we are in big shit as one of the bad Engineer escaping from the war and heads towards to Earth with a juggernaut packed with their newest ultimate weapon, with the xeno eggs - possible connection with the (first?) xeno (ever?) we saw in the end of Prometheus
- Shaw manages to get on board and crashes that ship on lv-426 - some battle with xenos - some whatever it needs to be to finish Shaw's saga
- the end, its connected to Alien
[close]

sure it can be expanded regarding the characters and scenes and etc. but in short i think this can be a possible and good sequel to Prometheus and prequel to Alien

have nice day :)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: DontRelaxJustYetMarines on Feb 28, 2013, 10:57:53 AM
If it had been truly scary/shocking, that means less butts on seats, which won't make back the 100 mil budget.  So they make it lukewarm, so nobody has to get out of their comfort zone.

But that's thinking like an exec, rather than a fan of film. People would embrace a truly scary film rather than a teen gore flick (which is where horror has gone over the last decade). You'll never create a buzz around a film (beyond it's pre release hype) if you keep towing the line.

If I have one criticism of Prometheus it's that anticipation had made me believe that it would be quite a difficult and unnerving movie to watch - and Ridley was quoted as saying he aimed to scare the shit out of us and lot's had been kept away from the trailers, but ultimately the suspense was played down and everything had been revealed. It wasn't a horror film and after the event you can re-evaluate it as such but at the time I felt it needed more visceral terror. I still think it handles it's violence and graphic scenes more convincingly than any of the Alien sequels - (bar 3 perhaps) but it could of benefitted from less compromise.

It's possible than stuff was shot that was kept back from the trailers, and maybe it was excised to keep aspects of the story ambiguous until a sequel explores it, in that case Prom 2 might well be more of a horror film, especially given the anticipation and post release reaction to Prometheus.

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 28, 2013, 09:29:38 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 04:34:52 PMSurely you don't have to like Prometheus to at least appreciate that they were trying to do something different with the format?

Of course not, and I do appreciate it, I just think that they failed and ended up making a watered down version rather than something original. Like I said earlier, I am all for new directions. Hell, if Scott is writing let's hope that it is as far away from Alien as possible. He needs to get out of this universe, stat! :P
I actually thought it was quite an original take on a conventional sci-fi premise (much like Alien was). If there was any "watering down", it was in terms of its tone and violence - so yes I'd agree with that (if that's what you mean). I'm firmly of the opinion that if it split Alien fandom then it did its job. Of course it would be utopia if everyone liked/loved it, but I'd much rather a film that polarised the fans rather than universal apathy.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 05:26:20 PM
There's a minimalism in those scenes from Alien that really help that entire sequence linger long after. Prometheus is much more drawn out and I personally think we spend too much time in those same interiors... It's also worth noting that what we were seeing in Alien was entirely new... Prometheus is obviously re-treading old ground...

I don't think it's to do with time. Nor about how fresh it was - I can still get the same kind of emotional sensation and level of engagement when I watch the original, no matter how many times I've seen it.

The sequel just doesn't have the same feeling of something forbidden and ominous.

Gash

Gash

If a film had universal praise and people were bleating on endlessly about how brilliant it was, I'd get very bored with hearing about it. At least there's plenty to debate. Some criticisms are valid and some are ridiculous. Prometheus has it's flaws but ultimately I enjoyed it and and it was my favourite film of 2012. Only two other films impressed, neither of them sci-fi.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed