A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 35,077 times)

Kel G 426

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 02, 2016, 07:17:57 PM

That'd be ace - but my gut reckons the freezerino dream will be the "acknowledgement."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEjeTb1rrs
[/quote]

Good morning!

DerelictShip

My biggest problem is making a parallel film that works. Yes, you can ditch the events of Alien 3 and Alien R but how do you make Alien 2.5 work?
Do you return to LV-426?
As far as I'm concerned that is the only place people know of these alien eggs (post reactor explosion as well)
Or does another crew just HAPPEN to run into an Alien planet and hence more eggs?

Very difficult situation.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Kel G 426

It's not too difficult.  We know the film will adhere to Prometheus continuity because Blomkamp had to tweak his story to avoid any contradictions, in accordance with producer's Ridley Scott's wishes.  Ridley's movies are establishing an Engineer presence on multiple worlds.  That makes it not so unlikely that another Derilect ship could be discovered.  Going by the concept art, that has indeed happened.

Scorpio

Yeah, it's a wonder the Company went to all the trouble of trying to get Ripley when they could have gone to LV-223 or Paradise.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kelgaard on Nov 03, 2016, 02:07:07 AM
It's not too difficult.  We know the film will adhere to Prometheus continuity because Blomkamp had to tweak his story to avoid any contradictions, in accordance with producer's Ridley Scott's wishes.  Ridley's movies are establishing an Engineer presence on multiple worlds.  That makes it not so unlikely that another Derilect ship could be discovered.  Going by the concept art, that has indeed happened.

That would be a direction I'd like to see them go. They're actively searching for another Jockey or Engineer (if they retcon the distinction between them) facility to find a source of the eggs. I think it'd work and that seems quite likely given the Derelict concept art. I'd be just as happy with them returning to the actual Derelict and retrieving that though.

SiL

Wouldn't be a terrible way to set up an AvP idea, either, if they're going for some sort of inevitable cinematic universe -- go looking for Engineers, find Predators.

BishopShouldGo

All of this riff raff could've been avoided had Ridley just banged out a prequel trilogy in '12, '14, and '16. Thanks Ridley, you strands of Alien-DNA dork.

DerelictShip

I would love to see a Star Wars type universe for Aliens and Predators (Multiple planets, species, space crafts, etc.) don't get me wrong. But there is no way I can think of to make it work without losing the mysteriousness of the species or the fear factor they would present. Rather it would almost become adventurous and more action packed (which is okay but the others are key elements). You also can't keep spitting out the same story line which is my biggest fear for Aliens because it 'has' to begin with an egg or random facehugger and associate with Wey-Yu. How could you break those chains without reshaping the franchise ideal? It would be brilliant because it would finally move us into an expansive universe!

P.S hope everyone is doing well tonight, cheers!

fiveways

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 07, 2016, 01:35:40 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 06, 2016, 11:07:57 PM
lol

Biehn's been working consistently for years.

What I meant to say by that, is that he can remain in relative obscurity as a character in the background of many films or he can really use this opportunity to propel himself into the limelight again.  I am aware of his ongoing string of films that keep being produced.  This is an opportunity to change his career completely.  It will either be a defining moment for him, or not.  (Or it just won't happen.  Let's hope it does.)

His networth is 8 million dollars according to google.  He can pretty much pick and choose when he wants to work.  Might not be weaver or brad pitt style money, but that is enough to live a couple lifetimes comfortably.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: DerelictShip on Nov 04, 2016, 12:51:32 AM
I would love to see a Star Wars type universe for Aliens and Predators (Multiple planets, species, space crafts, etc.) don't get me wrong. But there is no way I can think of to make it work without losing the mysteriousness of the species or the fear factor they would present. Rather it would almost become adventurous and more action packed (which is okay but the others are key elements). You also can't keep spitting out the same story line which is my biggest fear for Aliens because it 'has' to begin with an egg or random facehugger and associate with Wey-Yu. How could you break those chains without reshaping the franchise ideal? It would be brilliant because it would finally move us into an expansive universe!

P.S hope everyone is doing well tonight, cheers!

Me too, Prometheus seems to be heading this franchise in that direction slowly. The old comics and novels showed us some species here and there, such as Aliens: Reapers, Alien: Aliens and Alien: Taste to list a few.

The new comics brought in some more species that you see a Predator hunt in Fire and Stone.

The new novels introduce a new species and mentioned that humans have met many civilizations with Arcturians being the first. River of Pain says Weyland-Yutani has been trading with Arcturians and that by the time of Aliens, we've already encountered several races some of them were friendly while others were hostile and Colonial Marines have had to face them in combat.

In fact, I'd recommend you read the Rage War trilogy, it's got all the things you'll probably like - far future setting, space battles, Aliens, Predators and hints of another race.

In terms of other species, I hope they're alien and unique. I don't mind humanoid shapes (Predators and Engineers are humanoid), but I'd hope for alien characteristics rather than just a funny forehead. I'd like them to have their own language (like Predators and Engineers do) and make weird alien noises (like Predators and the River Ghost) and have a strange biology.

Like the Arcturians for instance, they must be humanoid and attractive because Frost porked one of them. But they're alien enough because we can't tell the genders and Frost is teased for being with a male Arcturian.

The Predators are also really alien looking.

Engineers are the only race that we've seen similar enough to us. They're the good excuse we'll have for other humanoid races because humans can't be the only creations of the Engineers (assuming we were created by them and not being their sibling race as Weyland-Yutani Report hints at, although that could just be speculation on Weyland-Yutani's side).

You're right about them telling the same stories over and over. It's something I also thought for a long time. Alien stories are always either one sneaky Alien killing people in enclosed spaces or a huge infestation in a colony whereas Predator stories are always a hunt taking place in various places.

This is why I liked the Rage War books so much, they were such a refreshing take on the two monsters because the cycle was broken. And this is why I liked Prometheus too, for that same reason, it was completely new and inspired a much more detailed universe within the EU for me.

DerelictShip

I briefly got a chance to read some of the comics, I do like some of their concepts.

I'm starting to think that they could almost do multiple stories in one like the star wars series (How they're always cutting from place to place).

Maybe showing us some unique planets that have been terraframed (Or whatever the process was known as in ALIENS) but also cutting across to all of these different space ships that serve different purposes.

I don't know my brain is free roaming now....

The Alien Predator

I'd also love to see more of Predators hunting on alien worlds. In Fire and Stone, we see a really nice looking alien world with cool plants and animals that they stalked and killed before departing on their ships.

And yeah, the process you mentioned was called terraforming.

Ultimate badass

My thoughts for Alien 5, would be as follows. It would be set around 5 years after events of aliens 2. Now the sulaco that hicks, ripley, newt and bishop were on clearly is going back to earth or nearest human space station etc. So I think once they have returned and woken up they are tried and sentenced in prison or military prison for damage to colony, disobeying orders etc. You won't see this bit but will be refrence to it. So in the future instead of going to a jail for tens of years, costing massive sums of money, prisoners are put into hypersleeps in which you are given drugs to encourage tormented dreams and also age more quickly. So for instance 3 years maybe 15 years of aging to the body. This saves prison services huge cause costs and discourages crime as they are not simply asleep they have bad/stressful dreams etc. This explains the age difference of biehn and weaver and also may provide explanation for 3/resurrection as dreams.
By looks of it those teaser pics looks as though remains of Colony and egineer ship have placed either in a large warehouse on lv-426 or onto a large ship, for recovery and analysis. Whatever the case once served prison time hicks and Ripley, are forced to go back as advisors to help with operation or threatened with further prison time etc. Wherever it's set, all hell breaks lose and down to those two to save the day.

Russ

If that was your first post, its a great one. I love that idea of stealing years, its really cool!

SM

Putting people into hypersleep for a dozen years, monitoring them, giving them drugs to give them nightmares and make them age doesn't sound cheap.  Why not just put them on a prison planet?  Somewhere they can't escape, has water, they can grow their own food, etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed