DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017)

Started by Ultramorph, Oct 05, 2016, 07:51:53 PM

Author
DH Announces Aliens: Dead Orbit (April 2017) (Read 84,359 times)

Russ840

Russ840

Lol. I realised very quickly and didn't read on. Just went to the last paragraph.

Soooo. Just read #4. In fact I read 1 through 4.

Even though I hated having to, the wait was worth it.  Such a great series all round. For me it is tied with Labyrinth as best Alien comic to date. Although the story is run of the mill, Stokoe is such a great story teller that the usual tropes are welcome when rendered by him. The art is amazing.  Such rich atmosphere throughout.

The ending is worthy of the Alien universe. I am really happy with this issue and the series as a whole. I pray this gets a fancy pants edition release.

Xiggz456

Wow what an amazing series! So good I had to register on this forum just to gush about it haha! This last issue was certainly worth the wait and ended stronger than the majority of EU stories. I think this is possibly the best 4 issue Aliens series ever (Destroying Angels is the only one I can think of that comes close). The art had me endlessly staring at panels while the story kept me intrigued throughout. Thank you James Stokoe!

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 13, 2017, 10:57:59 PM
Wow what an amazing series! So good I had to register on this forum just to gush about it haha! This last issue was certainly worth the wait and ended stronger than the majority of EU stories. I think this is possibly the best 4 issue Aliens series ever (Destroying Angels is the only one I can think of that comes close). The art had me endlessly staring at panels while the story kept me intrigued throughout. Thank you James Stokoe!

Such a great series.  So happy with it as a whole.

Kurai

Spoiler

While I get why they did it, and it is thematically appropriate, the ending felt like I had just run full tilt into a brick wall.
Still...
[close]
A great and pessimistic look into the Aliens Universe. Totally recommend y'all read this series if you haven't already.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

@russ840 indeed! @Kurai I must respectfully disagree the ending was intense, satisfying and as dark as the carapace of a xenomorph. An equally strong finish to a superb series. It'd be cool to get a story of where that ragtag ship came from though!

Russ840

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Dec 14, 2017, 06:28:42 PM
@russ840 indeed! @Kurai I must respectfully disagree the ending was intense, satisfying and as dark as the carapace of a xenomorph. An equally strong finish to a superb series. It'd be cool to get a story of where that ragtag ship came from though!

It's a trait of Stokoe's to build the world so well that you want to explore it. Have you read any of his other material?

Ultramorph

I would love a prequel to this.

Russ840

I'd love a Stokoe AVP.

I would also welcome a prequel.

Did you read it yet Ultra ?

Ultramorph

Not fully, but I did thumb through on digital last night.

Russ840

Something to look forward to then mate.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

@russ840 I hadn't heard of Stokoe prior to this series but I've been eyeing his Godzilla story on Amazon as of late. I'm hooked by the sheer amount of tiny details his artwork entails as well as his story telling prowess. Very impressive. I'd be overjoyed if he returns for more stories in the Aliens, Predator or AVP universe.

Russ840

Godzilla Half Century War is amazing. I got the Oversized Hardcover because his art has such detail I didn't think the smaller pages would serve it best. I was not disappointed. I am currently reading his early comic called Wonton Soup.

Orc Stain is another of his work but there is only 7 issues and the 8 is no where in sight. But great stuff none the less.

If you can, get the hardcover of his Godzilla. It's on EBay, new, for around £25.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Nice! Thanks for the tip Russ!

Yikes! This Disney acquisition most likely means Marvel will soon get Aliens, Predator and AVP licenses. Hopefully Dead Orbit isn't the last Dark Horse Aliens comic we see. I'd assume There's most likely a set term (couple of years give or take) in the licensing agreement and I doubt Disney would breach that, but Dark Horse now has a finite time to publish new material. It's a shame because Dead Orbit, Defiance, and Life and Death were all solid entries (all of which I also want sequels to).

Prez

Great finale to a great series.

And sadly with the big news of the Disney buyout I think this may very well be one of the very last every Dark Horse published Alien comics.

Kurai

Quote from: Prez on Dec 16, 2017, 12:39:39 PM
Great finale to a great series.

And sadly with the big news of the Disney buyout I think this may very well be one of the very last every Dark Horse published Alien comics.

Until the license is up for renewal there won't be any problems with Dark Horse going about business as usual with Aliens, plus we have word of Dust to Dust on the way. So keep your hopes up.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed