Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 194,228 times)

bobby brown

I put on the soundtrack for ALIEN 3 and just immersed myself in this comic.

What a fun read. I really enjoyed it.
Thank you, Tristan, for being so faithful with the artwork and thank you, Brian, for writing an interesting and quite original intrigue, the community has been lacking this for a while.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 27, 2016, 04:40:30 PM
Hicks, you said you had one nitpick. What was it?

It was just insanely petty on my part. It was a Conestoga-alike ship with Nostromo styled interior and a Seegson OS. Did nothing to diminish the experience but just struck me as a little odd.

Looking forward to picking up my copies! I've ordered doubles of the first few for Shevvie (my friend who occasionally joins me on the podcast). Going to try and get him into comics!

DemonicD13

Wow, this first one is fantastic. I have high hopes for this run.  ;D

robbritton

Picked it up today and thoroughly enjoyed. Lovely to see so much of the new Alien universe referenced in the art!

Xenomrph

Quote from: robbritton on Apr 28, 2016, 08:33:10 PM
Lovely to see so much of the new Alien universe referenced in the art!
Could you elaborate on this? (in spoiler tags if necessary I guess)

T Dog

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 28, 2016, 10:37:10 PM
There's various elements used that were introduced in Isolation.

Isolation expanded the the Alien world greatly so no complaints here.

StrangeShape

I was gonna pass on that one due to the pesky comments from the creators about Aliens, but then Ive read the entire thread and decided to give it a go, its too intriguing and I love some of Tristans ideas such as warrior/drone thing, hope itll be in the series. Im heading to a comic store tomorrow

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 29, 2016, 01:15:26 AM
I was gonna pass on that one due to the pesky comments from the creators about Aliens, but then Ive read the entire thread and decided to give it a go, its too intriguing and I love some of Tristans ideas such as warrior/drone thing, hope itll be in the series. Im heading to a comic store tomorrow

Please do. And understand, we all love Aliens, I just don't think it's aged as well as the others and I'm not a HUGE fan of the writing, but that's an across the board thing with James Cameron for me.

Also, I really, really, really, love your blog. Great source of thought out posts and reference material!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Apr 29, 2016, 01:23:59 AM
Also, I really, really, really, love your blog. Great source of thought out posts and reference material!

I know this is silly but I never noticed you had a link to Valaquen's blog in your signature, Shapes. Do you help him out?

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 29, 2016, 01:15:26 AM

You wont be disappointed. I absolutely loved #1 and would recommend everyone go pick it off. It's an absolutely solid start to the series in story and artwork terms. It feels fresh in the story but it also feels so right in the artwork. It all just works. I can't wait to see more! I'm getting extra copies for Shevvie - who hates comics but loves Alien - and I'm really curious to see how he reacts to this!

Some more artwork pilfered from Tristan's page.

robbritton

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 29, 2016, 12:14:07 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 28, 2016, 10:37:10 PM
There's various elements used that were introduced in Isolation.

Isolation expanded the the Alien world greatly so no complaints here.

Also Prometheus-esque moon base seen near the start. But yeah, mostly Isolation stuff. Am hoping for some of the better design elements from Colonial Marines to find some redemption here too!

Corporal Hicks

I'm just hoping Tristan snuck in that old Pulse Rifle like shotgun in there somewhere!

T Dog

Is Defiance set before or after the events of Isolation?

Corporal Hicks

Before at the minute.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 29, 2016, 11:50:05 AM
Before at the minute.
Was just wondering due to the cameo.

I think they'll have a lot of explaining to do in the story regarding
Spoiler
the androids going rogue from their programming. Doesn't really make sense how they can just "want" to change their programming. Didn't buy it anyway.
[close]

Also is Defiance coming out monthly?

tyrannosaurusjones

I like to look at DAVIS-01 as being the "ASH" of the lot. These basic models aren't tended to as closely, and are prone to things being overlooked because they're considered expendable. Because these are "adaptive" AI, like David, they're inclined to seek different outcomes based on their experiences. Davis-01 obviously being the first of that run of 12 has been up and about longer, and his experiences would be different to the rest. In his adaptive learning, he's figured out that his current software/coding needed upgrading, and in doing that to himself basically unlocked significant advances in his own adaptive AI. It's Skynet type stuff. The AI has found a way to bypass certain protocols without completely disregarding basic ones and advanced its own standing. Here, it sees the greater good, rather than "omission of action cannot allow the harm of another human being" Bishop runs with. Also consider -- Davis is based on David. If you add the finer details -- eye colour, hair, fingernails, etc. It's David. There's a misconception that these are Joes. They're basically out of the bag Davids in my mind; somewhere between Joes and Davids. He's an almost obsolete design and a cheap mould to be cast from having been around for so long.

BUT, knowing the propensity for bugs in systems in AI and even just straight up every day computers, Davis-01 might also have had conflicting coding, resulting in said conflict of interests, resulting in the upgrades, resulting in the AWOL move.

And hey -- if Call could do it...

Also, that flashback is set before Isolation, the rest is set after. I think...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed