Translation of the German article featured in Play³ Magazine....

Started by perfect organism, May 13, 2009, 11:31:35 PM

Author
Translation of the German article featured in Play³ Magazine.... (Read 12,035 times)

Mustafuk

Mustafuk

The problem isn,t Fox, or the brothers, or the pred fanboys..., the problem is the avp concept of the alien, and the perception you get from these warriors when looking at them. It looks like the people who design the avp warriors focus only on all those 1KM-LOOOOOL-oversized tails and lolololol tailblades, and then forget about the alien creature Itself, you know what I mean?, they look like aliens created for the children..., where is the fearsome creature from alien?, where are those vicious bots from aliens?, they are forever gone in avp concept of them.

All I mean is that It,s difficult for me that one of these "bugs" (never aliens) have a chance against any experienced predator, and I repeat, I,d like the alien to be the best in close combat, but while they continue doing these pitiful avp aliens, my perception will continue being like this.

affinity

affinity

um all of this is made up.  they are fictional species.   ;D

anyways, the Predator didn't need to lift Arnold so high.  the goal was just to pin up against
something to take a good look at his skull.  

Dutch killed a Predator because of that huge heavy log/boulder thing that fell from a high
elevation, that would have crushed an alien too.   Dutch would not have won in hand to hand combat.

Harrigan got lucky cause Predator didn't notice the disc-blade was right there.  

yeah like I said, Aliens are strong too, but Grid Alien just caught that Predator by surprise.

Grid Alien pinning the second Predator was brief, he headbit him fast cause you know the
predator would be able to roll on top and take control like he did earlier in the battle.
even in the second case, I remember at least once case where an alien got on top of Wolf, but Wolf had the strength to them off.  

Aliens lifting people 50-60 is not the same as Aliens lifting Predators that high.  Preds are much heavier.  

but this debate is as pointless  as  determining whether a pirate and a ninja would win at a
arm wrestling contest.    even if the ninja is stronger, the pirate can shoot their head open.

within their full potential, Predators dominate Aliens, as shown in AvP movie's history of
Predators and Aliens,

and the fact that Aliens have failed to take over Earth in AvP movie and AvPR.  

the Hadley's Hope queen's colony has failed to survive.   she got beat by some woman
with no military experience and no guns. 

the last Alien from the 2nd movie's queen failed to survive in Alien 3.

the Aliens in that story were all killed off in Alien Resurrection, including the queen.

the aliens were defeated in AvP game,

aliens were defeated in AvP2,  

and history has humans and predators to thank for that.

so if you look at the scoreboard, Aliens really are the worst of the 3 despite their "potential".

affinity

Quote from: Mustafuk on May 14, 2009, 09:02:21 PM
The problem isn,t Fox, or the brothers, or the pred fanboys..., the problem is the avp concept of the alien, and the perception you get from these warriors when looking at them. It looks like the people who design the avp warriors focus only on all those 1KM-LOOOOOL-oversized tails and lolololol tailblades, and then forget about the alien creature Itself, you know what I mean?, they look like aliens created for the children..., where is the fearsome creature from alien?, where are those vicious bots from aliens?, they are forever gone in avp concept of them.

All I mean is that It,s difficult for me that one of these "bugs" (never aliens) have a chance against any experienced predator, and I repeat, I,d like the alien to be the best in close combat, but while they continue doing these pitiful avp aliens, my perception will continue being like this.

LOL! yeah that is messed up how they treated the Alien tail,  it just convinced people to keep whipping the tails like they were playing a Castlevania game.  whip whip whip.  lolololololol 

but yeah,  I'd like to see what else they will improve for the alien in this one.  Well yeah their claws/hands are bound to do good damage and speed.  a pounce would be useful. 
their jaws might do one hit kills like the first AvP, but pretty hard to trigger.  I wonder if the climbing/clinging controls are like AvP1.   where you just hold one button and you can run on any wall/ceiling and just hang there until you let go. 

Xhan

Quote from: Aeus on May 14, 2009, 07:42:40 PM
The Shoulder Cannon does not make it an even contest.

"Bound"? A Predator isn't bound to do anything. Anytime tried to kill Dutch with the shoulder cannon plenty of times, only changing his mind in the last minute. Pussyface tried to kill Harrigan with his wrist cannon, his spear...Couldn't give a damn about what he's bound to do.

But if you're talking about AVP, then yeah they're "bound" to kill an Alien, not nessacerilly in close combat...But this is also a film where a Predator went toe to toe with an Alien with just some blades, and was hardly hamburger meat.

I'm not saying an Alien shouldn't destroy a Predator in close combat, it should easily win, if the Predator is without any ranged weapons. But don't go round saying it's "bound" to go into close quarters, there's far more evidence to suggest otherwise. The Predator is there for the thrill of the hunt, nothing more.

That's why "bound" is in quotes. I'm saying in game terms. As YOU said, the tactical mistake was in attempting to soften at ranged... however going in should be just as uphill an option.. because any mistake should result in instantaneous carnage.

Quotecanon now

Actually, Rebellion disavowed both movies already, both in scale and scope, and the Brothers have stated openly that the double grab scene was complete BS (har) but they chose to do it anyway as proper godfearing Pred fanboys. I have no doubts a Pred could pick up two Aliens. I also have no doubt in a "real situation" said Pred would look like a completely eaten neon green apple core when his amazingly smart action reached its foregone conclusion.

Aeus

Quote from: Xhan on May 14, 2009, 10:09:18 PM
That's why "bound" is in quotes. I'm saying in game terms. As YOU said, the tactical mistake was in attempting to soften at ranged... however going in should be just as uphill an option.. because any mistake should result in instantaneous carnage.

"Bound" in game terms? Elaborate. There's no need to get up close with an Alien, a smart player will keep his distance and used ranged weaponry against one in order to take away any edge it would have against him. If you need to collect skulls, you'd do that against a human, much easier.

Xhan

You're assuming they'll always be available.

Spaghetti

'one on one' does not necessarily mean 'hand-to hand', or 'up close' if the pred is sniping from cross a map.

as an alien player im hoping rebellion fully understands the aliens agility so ill be able to run circles around trigger happy preds and close in for the kill when they're out of plasma, overheated (whatever) their weapons. Aliens should be faster and stronger than both marines and preds if they have no mid/long range weapons. duh.

Xhan

Quote from: Aeus on May 14, 2009, 10:23:12 PM
"Bound" in game terms? Elaborate. There's no need to get up close with an Alien, a smart player will keep his distance and used ranged weaponry against one in order to take away any edge it would have against him. If you need to collect skulls, you'd do that against a human, much easier.

And all that aside you seem to have missed the Strause tastic art AND the fact that Jason has to corrected by his lead designer AND the interviewer that a Pred can actually you know, be killed. A familiar dance, and one that ends with poor sales.

Mustafuk

Quotewhip whip whip.  lolololololol
hahaha, yeah. tails are now bigger in size that the alien itself right?, how can someone take this kind of alien seriously when It,s in melee against a pred? ;D, I can,t, the pred wins

QuoteIf you need to collect skulls, you'd do that against a human, much easier.
I hope collecting skulls isn,t focused on the humans only, despite I know the humiliation to the humans by  doing this is going to be sweet

Quotewhen they're out of plasma, overheated (whatever) their weapons.
I liked the overheating concept of the shoulder cannon from concrete jungle. I think It would be cool to use that too.

affinity

preds collect alien skulls too.  check P2

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xhan on May 14, 2009, 07:28:30 PM
That's not the issue Aeus, and you know it. The weapons a Pred brings to bear makes the fight an EVEN contest, without them even with his fantastic strength and durability a Pred is hamburger meat against an Alien, ESPECIALLY in single combat wherein where the Pred is "bound" to bring the fight mano y mano. The whole point is gaining the machismo through defeating a superior opponent through guile and martial skill. An experienced Pred should pwn a fresh Alien... an experienced Alien should tear ANY Pred a new ass in close combat spear or no spear, wristblades or no wristblades.

Even that's out, because Aliens have generational genetic memory. If anything, an experienced Predator should make a one-on-one contest more even, not a sure thing. Against an Alien whose genetic heritage doesn't include confrontation against them, then it's a different matter.

I'm starting to find it marginally hilarious that they're making up artificial differences, purely for the sake of balance, yet ignore the one thing which would make the most authentic and common sense balance of all: Letting the Alien be the deadliest when the range closes to nothing.

Quote from: affinity on May 14, 2009, 08:09:47 PM
dude a Predator can kill a chestburster WITH HIS THUMB!!!!!

I'm not sure what your point is. A human might be able to do that, too. They're sort of squishy and there's a reason why one of the first things they try to do is accelerate away to mature.

Quoteand in AVPR Predator can chokehold and lift up two FULL GROWN ALIENS AT THE SAMETIME!!!!!

In that film, aliens also died from firepower their armour was shown to be immune to in 'Aliens' and didn't bother to try to defend themselves in circumstances when they obviously should have, too. the scene you mention is a case in point.

Regardless of that, since when does weight have a direct impact on strength? Aliens could specifically have a light skeletal structure, like birds do, so as to make them faster and more athletic in movement.

Quoteeven if you disagree, Fox has allowed that to be canon.   So no one can deny it since Fox owns the rights to AvP and can allow the rules to be whatever they allow.

Before 'Requiem', I was one of those saying the new series had every right to be canon and wasn't particularly contradicting anything major. The last film, though, did. Getting killed by a few handgun shots, the Predalien's reproductive method and so on... It all contradicted canonical information.

Because of all that, it's canonical status is a bit in limbo, so far as I'm concerned.

QuotePredators have more strength than people admit. Aliens are massively strong too.  but a Predator can rip their head clean off even without wristblades.

And Aliens have been shown to tear their way through successive welded metal doors, among various other things. So... What's the issue here?

They should be either equal or superior to a Predator, when things get to close range - especially with that tail. Having the Predator superior to everything else, at all ranges, does away with the rock/paper/scissors theme which should be the founding principle of putting these three factions in a single environment.

RumorControl

Also, if Aliens are analogous to bugs, and bugs can lift up to ten times their own body weight, it would make sense that Aliens are indeed stronger than Predators.  Compare the physiques of the two species: Predators are like humans in that they obviously have body fat and similar physical characteristics.  Aliens on the other, look like they're made out of pure muscle.  They're almost like machines.  Therein lies their strength: the Alien is a weapon, something that's basically sheer willpower.

Mustafuk

Mustafuk

the predators were only fat in the biggest failure and shameful attempt of one human being  translating the avp universe to the big screen. obviously, the outcome was a failure (and put us all to shame btw, just a reminder for you all) because all of that was made out of the mind of a child. thank you anderson, are you planning to screw any other videogame franchise in the future too?, didn,t you have enough by screwing resident evil/avp?, why are you so childy and ridicolous in your overall vision of avp/resident/whatever you do?

Sorry, pure incontinence when I think on this individual. Now back on topic. Predators are thin and very strong at the same time, and this is the "alienish" concept we have about both preds and aliens..., our minds describe both as thin/very tall creatures, but bearing an inhuman strengh. This is the classic concept all directors/writters have of any alien creature, not only about preds/aliens, and I think It is still the right one, because fat or strong (in appearance) predators like the ones from avp, don,t fit imo. that,s more the concept for a human, and I mean, a human is strong when he is someone like arny (jusy an example guys ;D), a big human I mean, but when we refer to an alien creture, It has to be the opposite.

QuoteAliens on the other, look like they're made out of pure muscle.  They're almost like machines.  Therein lies their strength: the Alien is a weapon, something that's
I thought the aliens were more skeleton-like, one more factor that made It so scary in the past, not only for having a human-like behaviour.

Quotethe Predalien's reproductive method and so on... It all contradicted canonical information.
I agree the personal vision of the predalien/praetorian/whatever is that is pure bullshit too, but I,m just referring to one thing that has always worried too much to some of you guys.

In the universe of alien exist just one canon per movie (but resurrection of course), why do you all try to mix them together? there exist three different canons, scott,s, cameron,s, and fincher,s.

I,ll put you one annoying (I know I know) example..., the gigeralien and the cameralien. we already know It,s the same kind of alien, but since cameron decided It lived for months or years, instead of just some days or weeks, so here we got one big contradiction, you know, the canon is gone UNLESS you split this very same alien into two different human-alien classes, and this is the only way. btw, by doing this we would be able to explain why both are so different in shape, behaviour,  colours, design, etc, without having to say that cameron,s liked more this model, and scott like more the other, and respecting both alien film canons at the same time, and this is the only reliable way I see in order to make a "codex" of the human-alien class.

What are my thoughts due to this situation?, you have your own canon, the other guy has his own, they have theirs..., everything depends on you.

All I mean is there doesn,t exist one single and canon for the three alien movies..., there exist three, and then the most important thing of all, your opinion/own vision of such a wide and open universe.

Chris!(($$))!

Wait... The Predator is the strongest in 1 to 1 combat... I swear to God I hope they mean in ranged weapons. If they mean in hand to hand combat then I will simply not play this game if I see Predator owning Xenomorphs left to right with that god damn sharp stick. Any veteran Xenomorph should be able to take down an average Predator especially if its a PredXeno.

Mustafuk

QuoteAny veteran Xenomorph should be able to take down an average Predator especially if its a PredXeno.
while these veterans are the classic aliens I absolutely agree, but if you are talking about these avp aliens, I can,t..., pred wins. :(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed