The blue liquid

Started by SlappyMCnasty, Nov 07, 2007, 03:37:56 PM

Author
The blue liquid (Read 51,690 times)

bobcunk

bobcunk

it could be a very strong base that mixes with the alien acid and explodes like when you mix vineger(and acid) to baking soda(a base).

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

If the base causes conductive electricity, that will affect the acid causing the alien to turn into powder from the inside out.

Axlotl

Axlotl

Quote from: Rhaw on Nov 07, 2007, 09:46:55 PM
Quote from: Pred-Wolf on Nov 07, 2007, 08:07:53 PM
Quote from: Rhaw on Nov 07, 2007, 06:29:01 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 07, 2007, 06:17:48 PM
They can't be composed of acid because acid is a liquid. Aliens are clearly not made out of liquid. :)
Humans are 60%+ made up of water.
Aliens aren't human their Aliens we don't know what they're made up of.
The point wasn't whether they are like humans the point was that an animal can be made up of mostly fluid and not clearly demonstrate it. How many people know they are mostly water, so the aliens could easily be mostly acid?

For the second part you are right we don't know what they are made of they are aliens. And that is even more of reason to get over "The Blue Liquid" and how it works.

My question is why wasn't it red, because blue isn't a very predator color? ::)

All acids exist in an aqueous solution. (suspended in water)

Axlotl

Axlotl

Quote from: MartyPredator on Nov 07, 2007, 04:24:29 PM
they predators...they have technolodgy more advice than us
in Predator 2 the spear didnt show up on the elemental table
but
its blue liquid that destroys the evidence of aliens
leave it at that lol

That part always left me going "what?"
That means its over atomic number 100 on the periodic table and all that stuffs highly radioactive with really small half-lifes. Its a cheap-ass plot device to many scifi movies use. They would be better off saying that its an unknown ALLOY instead of element.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Rhaw on Nov 07, 2007, 06:29:01 PM
As I say, it screams out 'plot device'.

The Predator was a plot device for an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

No, it was a character functioning as the antagonist. Not nearly the same thing.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 07, 2007, 06:17:48 PMPersonally, I'd say a big enough dose of super-heated plasma/whatever it is should be enough to incinerate any corpse evidence. All it would take is an extra setting on their guns. But that's just me.

Yes use one plot device as the end all be all plot device?

How do you figure that? Predators already have guns which fire some sort of super-heated energy. People presume it's plasma, but there's never been any indication as to precisely what it was. It might even be a concentrated form of ball lightning.

Using a higher setting to bathe Alien corpses with would simply be them using what they've already got in a practical way to achieve the same ends.

Using some sort of blue liquid to turn Aliens into dust, by contrast, is an excuse for Hydraulx to copy vampire deaths from 'Blade 2'. :)

It's giving the Predators something they don't need.

They can't be composed of acid because acid is a liquid. Aliens are clearly not made out of liquid. :)

Humans are 60%+ made up of water.

Which leaves an awful lot which isn't.

Ever seen mummified corpses from Egypt? All the fluid has been taken out of them. That still leaves a lot of flesh, skin and bone.

It seems the directors' original idea was to neutralise acid. Now, after it being pointed out that while Aliens apparently have acidic fluids flowing through them, they are not 100% acid, this explanation has been changed to something a lot more ambiguous.

Because of that, as with their recent admission over the Predalien reproduction method, my feeling is that this was something they just tossed in there for the sake of it. :)

QuoteIt's not a get rid of the evidence plot device it's a preserve continuity plot device.

Same thing.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 07, 2007, 04:48:18 PM
A Base is the opposite of an Acid.

well, the aliens blood is not actual acid. The phrase "acid for blood" gets thrown out there because its the closest/easiest way to describe what it does, burn the shit out of anything it touches. I'm not sure that the alien physiology/biology is that familiar in order to say it is mere acid that can react with base elements.
The aliens blood, is made up of compounds that form the yellowish/green liquid that simply happens to have a very low ph level, making it mimic the effects of hydrochloric acid.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: ShadowPred on Nov 07, 2007, 11:34:33 PM
If the base causes conductive electricity, that will affect the acid causing the alien to turn into powder from the inside out.

I don't know about that, not entirely familiar with physics/chemsitry in that regard. lol.

but according to info on both these sites:

http://www.anchorpointessays.com/essays.html

http://www.serenadawn.com/Alien-TheCollectedEssays.htm

it seems that the aliens blood functions like a bio-electric "battery" of sorts, and the aliens internal structure is not damaged by the acidic "blood" it contains. It oxidizes after death, so the acidic reactivity is not merely inherent to the static properties of the fluid itself.
I'm not sure you can just cause a reaction indusive to electricity and then have it harm the aliens internal structure.

this was particularly interesting:

"This process of neutralization could indicate that the low pH levels are being maintained through a specific organ, or group of organs. In such a theory these organs could maintain a specific pH level through the controlled release of alkaline components into the blood stream - then once the organ ceased to function the pH levels may be able rise as this control is lost and the body floods with the neutralizing base"

So if a base is added to the aliens physiology, why would it react explosively? It seems it would only neutralize the acidity of the circulatory fluid that is called "blood" for the purposes of simplicity.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 08, 2007, 06:32:47 AM

I don't know about that, not entirely familiar with physics/chemsitry in that regard. lol.

it seems that the aliens blood functions like a bio-electric "battery" of sorts, and the aliens internal structure is not damaged by the acidic "blood" it contains. It oxidizes after death, so the acidic reactivity is not merely inherent to the static properties of the fluid itself.
I'm not sure you can just cause a reaction indusive to electricity and then have it harm the aliens internal structure.

"This process of neutralization could indicate that the low pH levels are being maintained through a specific organ, or group of organs. In such a theory these organs could maintain a specific pH level through the controlled release of alkaline components into the blood stream - then once the organ ceased to function the pH levels may be able rise as this control is lost and the body floods with the neutralizing base"

So if a base is added to the aliens physiology, why would it react explosively? It seems it would only neutralize the acidity of the circulatory fluid that is called "blood" for the purposes of simplicity.

If on the other hand it causes reactivity, then it will act as a corrosive and literally melt the alien inside out, but as i said before.......powder if it is conductive electricity

Wolfs Girl

Wolfs Girl

Quote from: Rabbit2100 on Nov 07, 2007, 05:12:40 PM
Quote from: Accaris on Nov 07, 2007, 03:39:35 PM
Quote from: SlappyMCnasty on Nov 07, 2007, 03:37:56 PM
this bluliquid kinda destroy some of the verry cool spect of the alien creature

This should be the least of your worries.
yeah id worry about the scene where wolf takes out his dick and butt rapes every alien he sees.
DON'T say that. I might get ideas.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: ShadowPred on Nov 08, 2007, 06:52:50 AM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 08, 2007, 06:32:47 AM

If on the other hand it causes reactivity, then it will act as a corrosive and literally melt the alien inside out, but as i said before.......powder if it is conductive electricity

but an alien can withstand the acidicity of its own blood and it doesn't burn its organs if it bleeds internally. So I don't see how something can react with its blood and cause it to melt from the inside out or end up as nothing but powder. Even if deadly to the alien, and somewhat calcifiying, corrosive..etc and so on, your not conveniently going to have no traces of the alien at all.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

The most likely thing to happen though is tissue digestion, if the alien indeed does not have any skeleton besides the exoskeleton then the exoskeleteon willl be the only part that remains and evrything inside will tunr into mush, which then the exoskeleton can easily be crushed into dust by anything as weak as fingertips

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Ballzanya your posts have been very interesting however you're forgetting the golden rule when dealing with predator technology and biology.  Anything ambiguous (and there is A LOT of ambiguous stuff in the predator franchise) is easily explained by "BECAUSE THEY CAN". ;)  In this case all you need to know about the blue liquid is that it's alien in origin and exempt from the rules of science.  It really is that simple.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Nov 08, 2007, 07:11:05 AM
Ballzanya your posts have been very interesting however you're forgetting the golden rule when dealing with predator technology and biology.  Anything ambiguous (and there is A LOT of ambiguous stuff in the predator franchise) is easily explained by "BECAUSE THEY CAN". ;)  In this case all you need to know about the blue liquid is that it's alien in origin and exempt from the rules of science.  It really is that simple.

oh yeah, i forget, it's the old "its science fiction, therefore the average movie audience won't know the difference between real science and shit we just made up" excuse.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Science is used for eveything damn it. You can't just say that lame excuse.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: ShadowPred on Nov 08, 2007, 07:07:58 AM
The most likely thing to happen though is tissue digestion, if the alien indeed does not have any skeleton besides the exoskeleton then the exoskeleteon willl be the only part that remains and evrything inside will tunr into mush, which then the exoskeleton can easily be crushed into dust by anything as weak as fingertips

what would result is some withered, eroded tissue and remnants of the acidic blood, even if no discernable features remain. There's still no believable argument that is going to remove the blue liquid idea from the category of convenient plot device for the sake of continuity and place it in the scientifically or remotely plausible one.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed