AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,849 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 26, 2013, 01:19:49 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 26, 2013, 04:23:38 AM
Keeping the Aliens isolated is the only way to keep their character intact. The Alien films were based around keeping them as far away from large populations as possible. Sticking them right in the middle of a densely forested area rife with fauna and having it end with anything less than global destruction is a pretty big slap in the face to Ripley and her sacrifice in the third film.

Considering A3 was a slap in the face to the entire franchise, I'm not sure it matters anymore.

Alien 3 was the best thing that happened the franchise since Alien - it reeled it back into the primordial nihilistic cold darkness of space where it belongs; where there are no super heroes and truly happy endings. Trying to marry the two franchises by force (and failing miserably) on the other hand was a slap in the face. Even so, I do 'like' AVP way, way more than AvP:R. At least AVP tried whereas AvP:R was bad on all levels (...the only 'good' thing about it is that it seems to stroke the ego of certain Predator fans - "because Wolf is so bad ass!" - that's it's only 'quality', if you want to call that a quality that is) and failed even before failing.

SM

SM

QuoteAlien 3 was the best thing that happened the franchise since Alien - it reeled it back into the primordial nihilistic cold darkness of space where it belongs; where there are no super heroes and truly happy endings.

Shame the execution was kinda half arsed.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Oct 26, 2013, 11:37:14 PM
Keeping the Aliens isolated is the only way to keep their character intact. The Alien films were based around keeping them as far away from large populations as possible. Sticking them right in the middle of a densely forested area rife with fauna and having it end with anything less than global destruction is a pretty big slap in the face to Ripley and her sacrifice in the third film.

Considering A3 was a slap in the face to the entire franchise, I'm not sure it matters anymore.

Alien 3 was the best thing that happened the franchise since Alien - it reeled it back into the primordial nihilistic cold darkness of space where it belongs; where there are no super heroes and truly happy endings. Trying to marry the two franchises by force (and failing miserably) on the other hand was a slap in the face. Even so, I do 'like' AVP way, way more than AvP:R. At least AVP tried whereas AvP:R was bad on all levels (...the only 'good' thing about it is that it seems to stroke the ego of certain Predator fans - "because Wolf is so bad ass!" - that's it's only 'quality', if you want to call that a quality that is) and failed even before failing.

Like SM said, it was a half-assed execution. The setting was nice and I do prefer it to Aliens in some ways but for the life of me, I can't get past the God-awful story set up.

demonbane

demonbane

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 28, 2013, 01:04:52 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Oct 26, 2013, 11:37:14 PM

Like SM said, it was a half-assed execution. The setting was nice and I do prefer it to Aliens in some ways but for the life of me, I can't get past the God-awful story set up.
I think you meant "plot holes and inconsistencies." People would have been fine if they didn't kill off Newt and Hicks right from the start(Like mentioned billion times before!) You see no one bitches about Ripley death.

And trying to understand people favoring AVPR is like headbutting to wall. I keep trying only to end up getting headache.
I don't understand how people simply ignore forced teen drama and other awful acting. They say "oh all I want is monster fights!"
That's bullcrap. Might as well say the first Predator film should have solely focused on Predator itself.
And I was never bothered by AVP predator buildup. I mean... can't we think like Predators have different kind and looks like humans do? That is way better than that incompetent xenos held by wolf or skinning an officer in middle of an important mission.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Oct 26, 2013, 11:37:14 PMAlien 3 was the best thing that happened the franchise since Alien - it reeled it back into the primordial nihilistic cold darkness of space where it belongs; where there are no super heroes and truly happy endings.

I think Alien has a relatively happy ending. The movie as a whole is certainly not as depressingly grim as 3. If anything the original understands how vast and indifferent the cosmos is. 3 is just mean about it in an obnoxious and cruel way.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

3 had no other direction to go. I actually like the mean direction, but if there was a way to do it without killing off Hicks and Newt, that would've been nice.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 04, 2014, 08:48:15 PM3 had no other direction to go.

With a production like that I don't think they knew what direction to go in at all.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 04, 2014, 08:48:15 PM
3 had no other direction to go.
They had come up with plenty of other plots (with some decent and some awful, but whatever).

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

After two Alien and two Predator movies, they should've went straight into Aliens vs Predator imo.

SM

SM

Fortunately Brandywine were still in charge.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

I know this is hindsight, but a vs film was going to happen anyway.  An adaptation of the hugely popular comic, hot on the heels of Aliens and Predator, probably would've been a more bankable prospect than any of the proposed scripts for Alien 3 and pleased more of the fans.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

To be fair, the first AVP film was essentially a loose adaptation of the original story.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

And with better execution could've been awesome instead of mediocre.  That would've made me one  happy fanboy back in the nineties.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I haven't read the comics, but I read the novel Prey a long time ago. Decent story, well written, but the film had a much better handle on the Aliens than Prey did.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Decidedly. The film was quite well balanced. The only problem with it was the script-level decision to make the team-up like that. Renders the film's comic book nature evident.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed