Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 848,064 times)

SM

SM

Wonder Woman is still the best of the DC flicks for mine.  The bar isn't terribly high though.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I got a lot of enjoyment out of Aquaman and Shazam. Still want to see BoP, but haven't yet. Didn't like MoS or Suicide Squad at all and I have no intention of seeing BvS or JL.

With Aquaman 2, The Batman, and James Gunn's The Suicide Squad on the horizon, this is the most excited I've been for DC's slate in, well... ever.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 21, 2020, 03:01:53 AM
I got a lot of enjoyment out of Aquaman and Shazam. Still want to see BoP, but haven't yet. Didn't like MoS or Suicide Squad at all and I have no intention of seeing BvS or JL.

With Aquaman 2, The Batman, and James Gunn's The Suicide Squad on the horizon, this is the most excited I've been for DC's slate in, well... ever.

I'd rewatch any DC movie over Birds if Prey, any day! Easily the worst DC movie yet..

Prez

Prez

Elysium
First time I've seen this since it's release. Enjoyed it a lot more this time. I'm trying to figure out if Sharlto Copley's over the top performance is some kinda homage to Vernon Wells' Bennet in Commando.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Aug 21, 2020, 03:45:59 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 21, 2020, 03:01:53 AM

I'd rewatch any DC movie over Birds if Prey, any day! Easily the worst DC movie yet..

The trailers made it look like a less bland Deadpool to me. Really don't like Deadpool at all, but BoP seemed to have some charm.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Aug 20, 2020, 10:25:08 PM
Spoiler
God that ending is so stupid.

"Oh no, I killed the guy and nothing happened!"
"See?! You can't end war by just killing one person, people actually have a capacity for evil and indifference and it's more complicated than --"
"Wait, no, I just realised I killed the wrong guy -- now we're good!"

Way to almost make a point, movie.
[close]

Spoiler
I feel that ending was forced upon director. It doesn't seem as director's original intention at all and that's why I'm a bit more forgiving towards it. I think the point "people can be evil on their own" was made because of Ares saying something along these lines: "Look, I'm not controlling them - I'm just providing them with toys to play". Just his appearance in the movie at all distracted from that point. Also, it went against something I really liked about the movie untill that point - it was semi-realistic story set in WWI with Wonder Woman thrown in it. They should've made General the main baddy of the show. Transition between these two scenes was jarring. I can easily imagine some over-payed producer thinking: "Well, you can't call it a super-hero movie unless we have her fighting some unnatural creature at the end. Oh, and put shot of grenades flying towards her - that should be COOL!"

And that so-called "diplomat" wasn't convincing as God of War at all
[close]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2020, 10:36:06 PM
I wanted to badly to like Wonder Woman, and there were things about it that I honestly did, but overall, it just really kept falling apart as it went along. :-\

A lot of the issues I had with it, especially in the third act, felt very similar to the issues I have with Zack Snyder movies. And with him not guiding the tone and style of DC Universe anymore, I have higher hopes that the sequel might succeed where the first one fell flat for me.

Can you elaborate on this, please ? I think movie was pretty strong and cohesive right untill the ending

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 21, 2020, 06:03:14 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2020, 10:36:06 PM
I wanted to badly to like Wonder Woman, and there were things about it that I honestly did, but overall, it just really kept falling apart as it went along. :-\

A lot of the issues I had with it, especially in the third act, felt very similar to the issues I have with Zack Snyder movies. And with him not guiding the tone and style of DC Universe anymore, I have higher hopes that the sequel might succeed where the first one fell flat for me.

Can you elaborate on this, please ? I think movie was pretty strong and cohesive right untill the ending

The ending was a trainwreck and definitely the worst offense - generic gray CGI man that she fought at the end looked no different to me than what I've seen of the BvS and JL villains.

But even before that, there was a lot that wasn't working for me. Crazy amounts of speed ramping, which I just think looks ugly. The WWI action sequence looked mostly nice, but the Zimmer Wonder Woman theme was laughably out of place both in the scene and compared to the rest of the film's score. There were some other things that lost me in between all that, but I honestly don't remember vividly at this point - I haven't seen the movie since the theater and haven't felt any inclination to revisit it. What bummed me out about it the most, though, was that it had all the right pieces to work with; Gadot was excellent, the Diana/Steve chemistry was there, the WWI setting offered up a lot of great ideas. The film just never really amounted to anything past the sum of its disjointed parts.

I am very much liking the trailers for the sequel, however. Can't make promises that I'm going to see it in the theater, 'cause honestly, I don't know if I'm going to be stepping foot in a theater any time soon if COVID cases here don't really start declining. But otherwise, I absolutely would be seeing it on the big screen, and I will be seeing it at the earliest possible point that I can.

Kradan

Kradan

I liked Wonder Woman theme

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I think it was Junkie XL who did the Wonder Woman theme. If I recall correctly, Zimmer just did the Superman bits of the BvS score since he had already done three Batman movies.

Kradan

Kradan

Taxi Driver

Liked it a lot. Turned out to be much less violent than I thiught. I have a soft spot for that kind of setting - night city full of bright colors with light jazz in background. Liked score a lot too. Young De Niro looks nothing like 2019 De Niro

Also, Joss Whedon must've watched this shortly before writting script for Resurrection because:

Spoiler
1. There's guy with a gun up his sleeve

2. There's guy cleaning his boots

3. There's guy who got knife through his hand

Also, could somebody explain to me - was that ending supposed to be real or him dreaming in coma ? Because I find him being treated as a hero and not even jailed as kind of unplausible
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Jojo Rabbit

"We have stop them before they eat us and rape all our dogs." :laugh:

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 22, 2020, 04:08:34 AM
Jojo Rabbit

That was a pretty good movie. Although I went in thinking it was a comedy and I definitely wouldn't go and call it that...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Gentleman Death on Aug 22, 2020, 04:18:31 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Aug 22, 2020, 04:08:34 AM
Jojo Rabbit

That was a pretty good movie. Although I went in thinking it was a comedy and I definitely wouldn't go and call it that...

I'd call it a comedy/drama.

Huggs

Huggs

The Edge

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Adventures of Tintin

One of Spielberg's best from the past decade, shame how the sequel has stalled out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed