Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 848,268 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 05, 2019, 04:51:03 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 05, 2019, 04:15:03 AM
Gangs of New York

Bill the Butcher is a great character desperately in need of a much better movie to be in. It's not terrible on the whole, but so much of the main story is tedious compared to the historical context stuff with Tammany Hall and the draft riots.

I need to give that movie another try sometime. That and Let There Be Blood. Everybody always talks about those movies but the few minutes I saw of each seemed rather rough.

I love There Will Be Blood, but Gangs is just meh.

Huggs

Huggs

Ah, right. "There Will Be Blood".

Perhaps I was watching a low budget sequel.

The Old One

The Old One

I've seen Gangs of New York.
Spoiler
But not the other one, not yet.
[close]

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 04, 2019, 10:34:29 PMThe Departed

Good movie, but arguably only high middle tier Scorsese. Granted, my enthusiasm was a bit hurt this viewing by my DVD f**king up out of nowhere right as they got in the elevator near the end.

One of the few foreign movie remakes they've actually pulled off, I like it just as much as the original to be honest. They're both amazing in different ways.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 05, 2019, 04:15:03 AMGangs of New York

Bill the Butcher is a great character desperately in need of a much better movie to be in. It's not terrible on the whole, but so much of the main story is tedious compared to the historical context stuff with Tammany Hall and the draft riots.

Yeah, that could've done with a good 30 minutes cutting out of its first half. The second half is so much better.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 05, 2019, 05:20:17 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 05, 2019, 04:51:03 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 05, 2019, 04:15:03 AM
Gangs of New York

I need to give that movie another try sometime. That and Let There Be Blood. Everybody always talks about those movies but the few minutes I saw of each seemed rather rough.

I love There Will Be Blood, but Gangs is just meh.

Just meh???   How very, very dare you!

I love them both, with the edge going to There Will Be Blood.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Rambo: Last Blood (2019)
Decent and certainly not a bad movie. Would've worked just as well if this wasn't a Rambo flick.
Best is when goes to 11 near the end. Storywise this felt like a direct sequel to First Blood made almost 40 years later.
Now I'd still like a sequel to Rambo (2008) set in the Middle East. With John doing all the things the bad over there do to the good.
Heads will roll, people will be hung, stoned, whipped, thrown off buildings,...
Ending with Rambo doing a suicide bombing but with a nuke
Spoiler
He survives, hides and prepares for Rambo 3, where he goes to Russia.
[close]
I want that or a Death Wish rip-off with old man Stallone. Just gimme some damn Death Wish rip-off franchise already. It's not hard or expensive.

Huggs

Huggs

Shot Caller (2/5)

"Get him Money!"

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Spectre

Finally got around to this one. There are a few cool moments here and there, but the story is a complete mess, and really does the previous three movies dirty. Yes, even Quantum was better than this. And now I'm worried that No Time to Die is going to trip over itself trying to clean this movie's mess up.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Alien DC.

For the first time in years. 

I personally didn't do it justice because I was running on very short sleep.  Still prefer the TC.  I was awake long enough in between my dozen or so mini naps that the egg morphing scene is jarring and out of place.  Not because of the content, but because of where it was inserted in the movie.  Just feels like Ripley is running around trying to figure shit out and takes a random side trek with no provocation. 

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 06, 2019, 06:14:46 AM
Spectre

Finally got around to this one. There are a few cool moments here and there, but the story is a complete mess, and really does the previous three movies dirty. Yes, even Quantum was better than this.

*cough*
Spoiler
John Logan
[close]
*cough*

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 06, 2019, 06:14:46 AMSpectre

Finally got around to this one. There are a few cool moments here and there, but the story is a complete mess, and really does the previous three movies dirty. Yes, even Quantum was better than this. And now I'm worried that No Time to Die is going to trip over itself trying to clean this movie's mess up.

I really want to like that every time I watch it, but it has this bizarre thing where it manages to make all its action sequences really dull. And like you, I hate how it tries to tie Silva from Skyfall into Spectre - I thought he worked much better as a stand-alone villain. It might not have been so bad if it ended with Blofeld's (initial) capture, but the final act really feels out of place and drags it down.

Batista was great though.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 06, 2019, 08:37:32 AM

I really want to like that every time I watch it, but it has this bizarre thing where it manages to make all its action sequences really dull. And like you, I hate how it tries to tie Silva from Skyfall into Spectre - I thought he worked much better as a stand-alone villain. It might not have been so bad if it ended with Blofeld's (initial) capture, but the final act really feels out of place and drags it down.

Yeah, he was the best part, and his introduction was badass.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Dodgeball
Hadnt watched this in years. Still hysterical

21 Bridges
A film they sold on the Avengers connection. Its an okay film. Just obvious where it was going

Lethal Weapon
Now THIS is a Christmas movie ;)

Russ

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 06, 2019, 08:37:32 AM

I've seen some vehement online vloggers saying that there's a backlash against the latest one for being too woke.

Is there any substance to this... I can't help but feel that there is: the very deliberate choice of writer, the female 007 (nothing wrong with a female 00... but it just seems to be daft having her as 007), the lines from the trailer ("get in my way and I'll shoot you in your knee" - something like that)?

The trouble is, as a middle-aged-white-man, I'm not really allowed to ask that question (which is kind of frustrating to be honest *lol*).

Friend of AVPG, Mr H feels that the wokness in a lot of modern movies really is a thing these days... but also says that overtly woke movies are failing because of this agenda pushing.

The battle-cry seems to be "just make a good movie" - like Aliens, for instance. Strong female lead, diverse cast and all that - straight white men love it. As does every other demographic.

I dunno, I've not seen the new Terminator, Batgirl, the new Charlie's Angels movies (these seem to be coming in for fire cos their woke stance)... Converserly, Rambo was under fire (ow, bad pun) for fighting Mexicans cos that was racist.

I dunno- is woke a phenomena or an over-reaction?

The Old One

The Old One

A bit of column A and B.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed