Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 848,243 times)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: necrotard on Nov 16, 2018, 03:55:21 PM
Suspiria

I absolutely loved it, and it needs your money.  Go see it.

How does it compare with Argento's version from 1977 ? Always a little suspicious of remakes.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Quote from: TheKurgan on Nov 16, 2018, 04:47:42 PM
Suspiria

How does it compare with Argento's version from 1977 ? Always a little suspicious of remakes.

Vastly different.  Very different story, style, and vibes.  Honestly, I love the original but find it a little slow.  I personally enjoyed this one more.  It had more of a wow factor for me.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: necrotard on Nov 16, 2018, 04:51:35 PM
Quote from: TheKurgan on Nov 16, 2018, 04:47:42 PM
Suspiria

Vastly different.  Very different story, style, and vibes.  Honestly, I love the original but find it a little slow.  I personally enjoyed this one more.  It had more of a wow factor for me.

Sounds great  :)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Commando

"f**k you, asshole!" *click* "f**k you, asshole!" :laugh:

Oh, and the new Suspiria was f**king great, since that conversation is going on. Can't wait for the blu-ray on that one.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Prez on Nov 15, 2018, 12:28:53 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 15, 2018, 05:14:25 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 14, 2018, 11:49:54 PM
Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Excellent sequel. "My body's a temple." "Well now it's an amusement park!" :laugh:

Hellboy III when? :(

As much as I enjoyed Del Toro's take on Hellboy as a purist who has all the comics it was a bit too fantasy at times rather than pure horror. Hoping Marshall's take is more akin to the Mignolaverse.

I'd be interested in a comics-accurate take on Hellboy for sure (though I would have loved to have seen Hellboy III happen first, to finish up GdT's trilogy before moving on and rebooting), but I very much doubt that Marshall's film will be that. Based on the leaked trailer, it just strikes me as a shoddy, bland remake of del Toro's first film. About the only decent thing associated with the entire mess is the casting of Harbour, who I think will likely do quite well with the role. Beyond that though? I have zero interest in the film.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Eating Raoul (1982)
A couple in need of money starts killing swingers. And there's a burglar named Raoul involved. Guess what happens to him in the end?
Overal not bad. Except for the massive spoiler in the title but it's not much of a bother for this type of movie.

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs (2018)
Proper western anthology movie by the Coen Brothers. Might be their best work in a while.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

"This is gonna be a hairy turn." :laugh:

Friday the 13th (2009)

Better than I remembered, but between this and AVPR, someone needs to remind Daniel Pearl that lighting is a thing.

Huggs

Huggs

All Is Lost - Bluray

My second viewing. A masterpiece.

All this for only $8 or $9 million. Behold the power of story and acting.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

100 Bloody Acres
Absurdly funny Australian Horror Comedy, with shades of Tucker and Dale Vs Evil

Huggs

Huggs

Shin Godzilla - Bluray

It's grown on me big time. I can't help it. That night destruction scene was simply fantastic. I hope to see another Toho Godzilla in this style some day.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 16, 2018, 10:53:49 PMCommando

"f**k you, asshole!" *click* "f**k you, asshole!" :laugh:

"Keep on the airwaves and let me know if you hear anything unusual."
"I'll keep at it. What are you expecting?"
"World War Three."

MudButt

MudButt

Widows

Caught this yesterday morning and I walked out pretty satisfied. The trailers made had me hyped and I couldn't wait to see this cast in action, and the performances do not disappoint at all. One of my biggest issues with the movie and it's more of a personal one than something I think that is actually technically wrong with the movie is the lack of screen time for the main characters husbands. Now before you attack me for saying "Oh well the movie is called Widows, so of course they'd not be in it that long". I know. We get so little time with the characters and their significant others it's hard to feel the Widows' pain at the start. Liam Neeson and Viola get the most backstory and it works for the most part. Would have loved a separate film with Neeson and his crew (which includes a criminally wasted Jon Bernthal).

Anyways the core cast, our titular Widows, are all fantastic. Viola Davis and Elizabeth Debicki are standouts but Cynthia Erivo and Michelle Rodriguez both do great work as well. I would have like a bit more fleshing out with Erivo's character because she just kind of shows up and gets involved in the plan and it doesn't feel organic at all. She plays a great part though as part of the crew. As for supporting characters we got Daniel Kaluuya as an enforcer for his brother played by Brian Tyree Henry (from Atlanta) and Kaluuya does amazing stuff here with his psychotic character. I loved his scenes. We get some good stuff with Collin Farrell and Robert Duvall. A big problem is that a lot of the supporting cast doesn't get a ton to do and there are a couple of storylines that don't even wrap up by the time the credits roll which bugged me. Carrie Coon is part of the films twist and she's ultimately wasted as well and that storyline never goes anywhere. I would assume the movie has a ton on the cutting room floor that was cut to bring down the runtime because I can't imagine certain stories didn't have an ending ever scripted.

The heist that it leads up too is good but not as intense as I would have hoped. The planning stage is good but the heist itself didn't lead up to what the movie was building towards. I'd say this movie is elevated by it's performances for sure and if not for those this movie might not be as good. Definitely worth the watch though.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

May the Devil Take You (Sebelum iblis menjemput) (2018)
Proper and brutal Indonesian horror with some Evil Dead influences.
From the writer/director of Killers, Headshot and The Night Comes For Us.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 18, 2018, 11:04:55 AM
100 Bloody Acres
Absurdly funny Australian Horror Comedy, with shades of Tucker and Dale Vs Evil

Aussie and New Zealand have been producing some quality movies the last years: What We Do In The Shadows, Wyrmwood, Deathgasm, These Final Hours, The Mule, Hunt For The Wilderpeople,...

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 19, 2018, 04:30:20 AM
Shin Godzilla - Bluray

It's grown on me big time. I can't help it. That night destruction scene was simply fantastic. I hope to see another Toho Godzilla in this style some day.

I love the approach they take in this movie. And how Godzilla evolves.
Wouldn't mind seeing more either. Think there might come (or already is) a cartoon sequel. Don't think the director was gonna do another live action movie.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3499850/toho-ditching-shin-godzilla-2-favor-massive-kaiju-filled-cinematic-universe/

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 20, 2018, 02:04:43 AM

I love the approach they take in this movie. And how Godzilla evolves.
Wouldn't mind seeing more either. Think there might come (or already is) a cartoon sequel. Don't think the director was gonna do another live action movie.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3499850/toho-ditching-shin-godzilla-2-favor-massive-kaiju-filled-cinematic-universe/

If they are all part of a shared universe, and in the style of Shin then I'm good with it. Although I'd love to see Shin Godzilla return someday, both in concert with other monsters, and in an actual sequel.

Prez

Prez

Currently re-watching Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition (about an hour or so each night). Still my favourite in the series simply because the character and world introductions are beautiful. I'm actually listening to the unabridged audiobook at the same time. I haven't read the book since highschool (1988!) but it's interesting comparing the beats of the film and book side by side.

How wonderful an actor is Ian Holm. Though I half expected him to ram a rolled magazine down Frodo's throat when he's denied holding his old ring in Rivendell  ;D

I must admit that despite adoring Jackson's adaptation I do hope one day we may get a completely faithful version on film (or TV).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed