Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 363,350 times)

Deadmeat

Quote from: maledoro on May 17, 2009, 04:18:57 PM
It's the old joke: "What has more than six legs and no brain? A committee."

;D

So the Bishop in A3 was an android if not a clone. That's my guess.

maledoro

Quote from: The PredBen on May 17, 2009, 05:58:14 PM
WY is just like a modern day company.
Or any other company.

I think the USSM wasn't a company , it was the human military , I mean those men there might have been marines ( the soldiers not the main people. )
That's a concept.

Dr.Wren seems like he'd fit into WY well and likely rise up , had he been born in that time.
In a non-specific sort of way.

But anyway I think until a new alien movie comes out , Bishop II will never be understood.
Most of us understood what the writers, director and others had made him out to be: Bishop's human designer. At least we don't have to jump through hoops to support claims that he's anything else but human.

Also why can't people believe he's human.
Two main reasons. First, they misunderstood what had happened. Second, some want him to be something other than human.

If he turns out to be purely a random bishop robot , I'll be pissed off for my own reasons.
For letting some writer get away with uncreative cheating retconning? I can't blame you.

Quote from: deadmeat on May 17, 2009, 05:59:18 PM
So the Bishop in A3 was an android if not a clone. That's my guess.
A pretty bad guess, since that was refuted, too.

Deadmeat

I said if NOT aclone.

maledoro

Quote from: deadmeat on May 17, 2009, 07:07:21 PM
I said if NOT aclone.
I read it correctly; he's neither an android or a clone.

The PredBen

The last time will see Bishop is in ALIENS - chess , guess who's the Bishop? But really , I think he'll not come back. Although if I could write an Alien 5 script ( which I may. ) I'd give him a strong and yet simple cameo. He is after all only human. Or is he? oh yeah thats the debate here. ;D

maledoro

Quote from: The PredBen on May 17, 2009, 08:31:57 PM
The last time will see Bishop is in ALIENS
We see him in the next film; well, pieces of him.

But really , I think he'll not come back.
Lance ain't getting younger.

He is after all only human. Or is he? oh yeah thats the debate here.
It shouldn't be, but some people insist otherwise.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Im really not a fan of the 'I know better than the creators" attitude and appriach. I mean, if its made clear (novelization) that Bishop II was human, thats so he is. Yeah, Anderson took an opposite appraich and made a movie implying Bishop II wasnt human but a copy of Mr Weyland. But if you ask me, that isnt valid - it is what it is - a MISTAKE or MISINTEPRETATION, or even better - lack of research. Its just plainly wrong thus its not canon. Saying otherwise (that Bishop II weasnt human cause its not stated in the movie or whatever) is just covering your eyes . The answer WAS given. And given a long time ago

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Quote from: VenomX on Dec 11, 2006, 08:59:05 AM

I really think Bishops clearity and cold focus even after the blow, was intentionally directed and acted out that way to show that he was after all an Android, also adding just another situation where it proves you cannot trust these corporations.

I agree. I am not a big 'Alien3' fan, but I always thought that was a great sort of 'bad Bishop' scene.
Its obvious its still an android putting on an unconvincing show as the Weyland. I too think it was a concious decision to portray Weyland in an Android-esque way.

SM

SM

Eh?  What 'clearity (sic) and cold focus'?  He's BEGGING Ripley to give him the Alien.  Smacks of desperation rather than any sort of focus.

Honestly I don't know if people actually pay attention while watching this scene, or just cherry pick bits to support bizarre opinions.

maledoro

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 18, 2009, 06:24:10 AM
I too think it was a concious decision to portray Weyland in an Android-esque way.
More like an unconscious way to perceive what was going on. He's human.

Vulhala

I've been thinking about this lately, and have come to a conclusion. He was human in A3 because by taking the Alien to study it, make weapons from it etc, he would directly put at least SOME human lives at risk. Maybe even our whole civilisation. And that goes against his core programming, which is something he said was "Impossible" in Aliens.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

Some good points here, including this post. I haven't seen Alien3 in a while, I will have to view it again as I am speaking from my last viewing about 3 years ago.
I'll be back.

maledoro

Quote from: Nachtfalke on May 18, 2009, 11:18:29 PM
Some good points here, including this post. I haven't seen Alien3 in a while, I will have to view it again as I am speaking from my last viewing about 3 years ago.
I'll be back.
Clicky

SM

SM

QuoteI've been thinking about this lately, and have come to a conclusion. He was human in A3 because by taking the Alien to study it, make weapons from it etc, he would directly put at least SOME human lives at risk. Maybe even our whole civilisation. And that goes against his core programming, which is something he said was "Impossible" in Aliens.

To which the boring and predictable response is "Oh, they reprogrammed him while they were putting red food colouring in his blood".

The PredBen

The fact is , is that he is likely human. I'd be pissed if he was a shitty android , with no purpose at all but to be a friendly face. Did you see how he reacted when Ripley killed herself? he was insane and shouted out " NOOOOO!" but whatever

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed