Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 363,371 times)

SM

SM

The nutrients could've been feeding the hugger for all anyone knew.

JamesCameronOnline

Going back to the question at hand - what esle can be said that havent been said already? Its interesting what a huge debate it sparked when the answer is actually given. As we all (or most of us) know, and whats been said many times before in this thread, the novelization answers the question - Micheal Bichop/Bioshop II was a man

I dont know about A3 novelization, but in vast majority of the cases, and ESPECIALLY back in the days, the writer of the novelization worked closely with the director/writers of the movie. So Im prety confident Foster didnt just came up with it on the spot

Besides, this is a movie we're talking about. If Bishop weas a droid, for the sake of the story and audiences it would be shown/revealed in a fairly obvious matter - like white blood for example. yes, I know this also has been addressed many times in  the thread, but some say he didnt have white blood to trick Ripley. While it may be a good explanation within the story, the movie itself needs something to show the audience that hes a robot - like with Ash in Alien. And there was no such thing in A3

SM

SM

ADF did take the 'Bishop = human' from the script, but didn't work closely with the filmmakers on Alien3.

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: SM on May 11, 2009, 11:30:57 PM
ADF did take the 'Bishop = human' from the script, but didn't work closely with the filmmakers on Alien3.

It was even in the script?

SM

SM

Yeah.  Scripted and shot.

JamesCameronOnline

Hmm. So why is that poll so close in results? I understand Anderson confused people by his version of Bishop's origins, but Anderson had no part in A3 so respectfully , he doesnt have any qualifications or right to make such changes to major characters and plots. In his movie Bishop may have different origins but AVPs are more like spinoffs for me

Plus, the A3 related sources (Novelization, lack of any obvious implication for the audience and possibly script) already answered the question. The good old rule - look and youll find

SM

SM

Definately script.  The scripted lines "I am not a droidddd!" are in the assembly cut and workprint.

JamesCameronOnline

Yeah, I know the assembly cut. I consider myself to be very knowledgable in Alien and Aliens, but as far as Alien 3 i dont know half as much even tho I love the movie.

He could still lie of course, but again, even if we discard the novelization, having him bleed with the red blood would confuse the audience and wouldnt be much of a 'reveal' that he's a droid, just the opposite

SM

SM

Quite.

The PredBen

Bishop II was human. He isn't an android , maybe he is a part cyborg , with robotic implants , but I believe he is mainly human. It is unlikely a plain android would be sent there without a high ranking man there. I used to like to think he was the head of the Weyland branch of Weyland Yutani , thus a human. Then I thought he was a simple android , it fit better. Then I thought he was " Michael Bishop ". Now I think he is human with some cybernetic parts. Also just curious about a point likely brought up before , How did Giedman and the other USSM buy out WY or whatever. Was it soon after Alien 3 or closer to the final alien movie? also is this the longest topic ever. It has over 118 pages , the only one I'VE seen over 100 pages.

maledoro

Quote from: The PredBen on May 15, 2009, 11:45:45 PM
maybe he is a part cyborg , with robotic implants , but I believe he is mainly human. Now I think he is human with some cybernetic parts.
Why? There is nothing that suggests even that.

Quote from: The PredBen on May 15, 2009, 11:45:45 PM
Also just curious about a point likely brought up before , How did Giedman and the other USSM buy out WY or whatever.
They didn't; WalMart* bought out WY.

The PredBen

I know that - but don't you think after that Erinns guy hit him with a wrench he'd be out cold. If someone hit me with a wrench I'd be out cold. I am suggesting minor implants. Also good joke , Walmart is evil. I made a band once , we were bought out by Walmarr.

maledoro

Quote from: The PredBen on May 16, 2009, 12:39:36 AM
I know that - but don't you think after that Erinns guy hit him with a wrench he'd be out cold. If someone hit me with a wrench I'd be out cold. I am suggesting minor implants.
Since the dawn of Man, people had reacted even less to greater head injuries. This was already covered in this thread. Not to mention how unlikely the Company would expect someone like Bishop's designer to take such knocks to the head and have the foresight to put implants there just in case...

Quote from: The PredBen on May 16, 2009, 12:39:36 AM
Also good joke , Walmart is evil. I made a band once , we were bought out by Walmarr.
Take it as a joke if you want, but you might want to read this.

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: maledoro on May 16, 2009, 12:49:05 AM
Since the dawn of Man, people had reacted even less to greater head injuries. This was already covered in this thread.

Yeah. Also, he wasnt directly hit in the back of the head right? His ear was hurt and bleeding, meaning he took the biggest hit on the side of his head

maledoro

Quote from: JamesCameronOnline on May 16, 2009, 05:42:47 AM
Yeah. Also, he wasnt directly hit in the back of the head right? His ear was hurt and bleeding, meaning he took the biggest hit on the side of his head
Yep.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed