Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 363,291 times)

maledoro

Quote from: Andrew127 on Aug 24, 2008, 10:29:26 PM
"Gross abuse of punctuation"? Wait, for miss reading a semicolon for a colon is your idea of "gross abuse of punctuation"?
In your case it was. You took advantage of an oversight and ran with it.

Wonder what will happen if I forgot a full stop or wrongly placed an apostrophe?
Well, now, that would depend on the sentence, now wouldn't it?

Yeah sorry for misreading that earlier but you couldn't believe my excitement after digging through my old collectables and finding that card.
Actually, I could believe your excitement.

Either way it doesn't matter. In my opinion it now offers some strong evidence for him being human, perhaps some of the best evidence we have found in recent times.
So, you're doing a 180°?

Im going to have a dig around latter and see if I can find the card explaining how the Egg got on board and the one explaining why the producers didn't go with Gibsons script. Oh Alien 3 and its mysteries.
For the most part, the cards tell the story from Ripley's POV. Since she was unconscious during the trip, she wouldn't know how the egg got there. I did a quick glance through some of the cards (but spent most of the time reminiscing with my Alien set I bought much earlier), but didn't see any production info.

As for skipping Gibson's script, Brandywine wanted him to do some rewrites but he was busy working on another movie. Add to that that with the fall of the Soviet Union, the producers felt having a Communist group of people in space would seem too outdated.

Andrew127

Maledoro, I'm not doing a 180, I just said it's some good evidence ,which I believe it to be. Yeah it was an over sight on my part and I admit it. I should have took a bit more time reading the thing but what do want from me? Another apology for misreading a piece of punctuation? If you look at the photo again, the dot of the semicolon is so perfectly in line with the cross section of the letter "t" that it is very difficult to see. Not exactly the hardest thing in the world to misread.

As for the cards being from Ripleys point of view, I disagree. In the film she believed him to be another android.

maledoro

Quote from: Andrew127 on Aug 24, 2008, 11:22:31 PM
Maledoro, I'm not doing a 180, I just said it's some good evidence ,which I believe it to be.
Let's see...
Quote from: Andrew127 on Aug 24, 2008, 03:49:42 AM
This is the best evidence I could find about him being a synthetic. I don't expect this to change peoples views but it certainly opens up more debates.
In my opinion it now offers some strong evidence for him being human, perhaps some of the best evidence we have found in recent times.

Yeah it was an over sight on my part and I admit it. I should have took a bit more time reading the thing but what do want from me? Another apology for misreading a piece of punctuation?
Not necessary. One crime, one apology.

If you look at the photo again, the dot of the semicolon is so perfectly in line with the cross section of the letter "t" that it is very difficult to see. Not exactly the hardest thing in the world to misread.
But you saw the card first hand. It was printed clearly on the actual card.

As for the cards being from Ripleys point of view, I disagree. In the film she believed him to be another android.
Her thinking he was a droid has nothing to do with what we've been discussing for the past couple of hours. And, if you disagree with the cards being from her point of view, check out what it says on the first three narrated cards:
QuoteAll seemed well. Hicks' injuries were serious, but not critical. And Bishop was in need of major repair. But we were finally heading home. Our ship, the Sulaco, was fully operational when Hicks, Newt, Bishop and I entered the cryotubes for an unknown length of hypersleep. But it wouldn't stay that way.
QuoteIn hypersleep, light-years are condensed into human seconds. And all is peaceful. None of us were aware of the chaos going on in the ship's bulkhead. The Sulaco's sprinkler system must have been automatically activated to contain an onboard fire; our cryotubes were ejected into the EEV. But a fire may not have been the only danger on board.
QuoteI don't know how long the Emergency Evacuation Vehicle had been hurtling through space before it made a crash landing on an unusual planet. If I had decompressed too quickly coming down through the atmosphere, I would become violently ill--but it could have been worse.
So, whose point of view is this being told from?

Andrew127

Saying that it opens up more debates is not doing a 180, same as saying it is strong evidence.

QuoteBut you saw the card first hand. It was printed clearly on the actual card.

Like I said earlier I should have spent more time looking at the the thing, but it is not a hard mistake to make.

QuoteSo, whose point of view is this being told from

The narrative ones are being told from her point of view but the character and making of cards are obviously not.  I really don't think Ripley would have known the full names of all the inmates and details into their crimes as well. (or in fact the making of the movie she has no idea she is in  :P)

maledoro

Quote from: Andrew127 on Aug 25, 2008, 02:03:14 AM
Saying that it opens up more debates is not doing a 180, same as saying it is strong evidence.
Saying that it's strong evidence for one thing and then saying that it's strong evidence for the contrary is doing a 180.

Quote from: Andrew127 on Aug 25, 2008, 02:03:14 AM
The narrative ones are being told from her point of view but the character and making of cards are obviously not.  I really don't think Ripley would have known the full names of all the inmates and details into their crimes as well. (or in fact the making of the movie she has no idea she is in)
So, the cards that tell what's going on in the story were narrated by Ripley. That's all I needed to hear.

The Demon

Human. AvP made a bad choice.

Eidotemit

Even when considering AvP, there is no conflict with the him being human.

The Demon

How? There happens to be another Bishop in the future that ends up looking just like him?

SM

SM

Ye Gods!  You mean people can't look the same??

Eidotemit

Its actually very plausible.

The Demon

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2008, 02:30:54 AM

Yeah.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Aug 25, 2008, 02:32:18 AM
Its actually very plausible.

Yeah but it seems to cheap for me to buy into.

Eidotemit

Quote from: The Wolf on Aug 25, 2008, 02:32:49 AM

Yeah.

You would do well from a crash course in genetics.

The Demon

Quote from: Eidotemit on Aug 25, 2008, 02:33:27 AM
Quote from: The Wolf on Aug 25, 2008, 02:32:49 AM

Yeah.

You would do well from a crash course in genetics.

Cool.

Andrew127

QuoteSo, the cards that tell what's going on in the story were narrated by Ripley. That's all I needed to hear.

Yeah but the character cards (the one in which the Bishop card comes from), comic cards and making of cards are clearly not. :P

maledoro

Quote from: Andrew127 on Aug 25, 2008, 02:37:13 AM
Yeah but the character cards (the one in which the Bishop card comes from), comic cards and making of cards are clearly not. :P
But I'm not concerned with them; just the ones that tell the story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed