Whislist for next patch

Started by -Sharky-, Apr 12, 2010, 08:13:32 PM

Author
Whislist for next patch (Read 20,433 times)

Deviation

Deviation

Quote from: xenotool on Apr 12, 2010, 08:46:14 PM
how about fixing the broken melee altogether?

The sliding counters that never connect in time , the predator HA that hits you from around corners, the 10ft stealthkill slides, the predator that just won't get knocked off its' feet?

that'd be pretty awesome.

We have a winner.

S.Y.L

S.Y.L

Quote from: safetyman on Apr 12, 2010, 09:52:59 PM
No, guys... There are serious implications that point toward the needlessness of a crouch feature, but from here on my post is going to trail into a generic PR non-answer to dodge having to give a real, honest-to-god answer.

what are these "serious implications"?

ManaCraft

ManaCraft

Quote from: AcidGlow on Apr 13, 2010, 12:16:56 AM
And if the enemy has their mouse to HIGH SENSITVITY, they will turn around instantly therefore making your "hold button" request resulting in stealth kills never happening.

You're exaggerating quite a bit here, but never mind that. Also, I don't favor any suggestion in particular, but apparently that point didn't get across well enough. The central point here is that stealth kills needs some form of condition added so as to prevent drive-by SKs, delayed SKs and SK jumping (the latter two in particular are to some degree a latency issue, but can still be improved upon greatly). Getting rid of the silly stealth kill conga lines would be an added bonus as well.

Quote from: AcidGlow on Apr 13, 2010, 12:16:56 AMTo the point where there's no point to even use heavy melee?

Was that what I said?

Regardless, I'll clarify. It should not be possible to land a continual stream of heavy attacks without fear of being interrupted by a light (due to permanently stunning the target). As for the tail, I take exception to the fact that anything that simply turns you into a spectator to your own death is "fine". But we seem to disagree on that part anyway, so I'll just leave it at that.

Quote from: AcidGlow on Apr 13, 2010, 12:16:56 AMAnd what about marines? they are knocked down by aliens countering them too.

Don't really give a damn about the marines, if they're dumb (or brave, whichever) enough to engage in active melee with a clearly superior foe, and get knocked down as a result of their melee attack being countered, quite frankly they deserve it.

I would, however, like to see the predator and alien put on equal footing in melee - which currently they are not.

Quote from: AcidGlow on Apr 13, 2010, 12:16:56 AMIn AvP2, the sniper rifle in that game was a 1 hit kill

How lucky, then, that is is not AvP2.

I'll concede that you have a point though, and if ammo pickups weren't so few and far between I might agree with you.

It's their high powered weapon. Sees anythng, locks on and can track through walls.. Xray vision..
It's fine how it is. Giving it more ammo would just make marines camp with it alot more..

IMO the smartgun isn't exactly "high powered", it requires just as many rounds to kill a target as a regular pulse rifle in my experience - actually I often need more, given that headshots are pretty much impossibly with the auto-aim. Anyway, for something that requires you to drop all your other weapons (save the pistol) and takes away your ability to sprint, it could definitely use a spare clip. Again, if ammo pickups weren't so rare (you actually have no alternative but to wait for the same smartgun to spawn again) this would be less of an issue.

Quote from: AcidGlow on Apr 13, 2010, 12:16:56 AMYes it should and it should light targets on fire too! So if you die you can still get a burning kill on them over time. That would be the benefit to use the flame thrower instead of how it is now.. weak and useless..

Another thing that would be nice is the flame jet lighting up the predators thermal vision - something that I saw another user suggest in the Rebellion Q&A thread.

You can counter them just fine if you are facing them... use weak melee but you have to know what to look for and when to expect it.. it's not that hard but not that easy at the same time..

So subsequent predator heavy attacks *are* interruptable by a light attack? I know the first one is, but had heard from multiple sources that the following heavys are not...

No it's fine. Only change that's needed is aliens Focus Attack should knock marines down just like preds do.

Well, we flat out disagree here, so not much to discuss I guess. You want to add more one-hit kills, I want more restrictions on them.

Quote from: AcidGlow on Apr 13, 2010, 12:16:56 AMAuto lock on has always been part of the shoulder cannon. And since it's a SLOW moving projectile.. it will be extremely hard to hit moving targets..

Yes, imagine actually having to aim. How's that for a first person shooter? ::)

True though, the autoaim has been there for a long time, and is also a fairly iconic part of that particular weapon. I'll also freely admit that the plasma caster is a current pet peeve of mine. But regardless, it does deserve a small nerf (and not a raw damage nerf, which wasn't the best way to go about nerfing the disc either btw). I'm not holding my breath for the autoaim to be removed either (I could see the knockdown go though), but this is a wish list after all.

Quote from: AcidGlow on Apr 13, 2010, 12:16:56 AMThey could add a cooldown effect so you can't double jump after the first one for like.. 3 seconds or something.. but I got an instant remedy for you right now that will help.. aim up.. that's how I deal with bunny hoppers in Quake, Unreal Tournament.. and since they don't jump that high in AvP.. you won't have to aim very high..  :)

I aim up already (when I have a weapon that is - dealing with bunny hoppers in melee is just plain annoying, not to mention silly), but this is more of a stop-gap measure than a fix. For solutions, a cooldown effect is probably a good bet, but the trick is going about it in such a way that it does not impede other forms of jumping (predator focus jumping, aliens jumping from surface to surface).

Wolf_sas

Wolf_sas

Game is fine as it is, just include an option for server admins to remove stealth kills and the game will be perfect.

I didnt mind the E spammers at first because I thought it was a novelty and would eventually die down, but now, holy shit, some people(the vast majority of alien players) only use the w,s,a,d and E keys, its just disgusting.

I make a point of telling them that the reason they suck at the game is because all they have done since buying it is spam E and get maybe 12 kills a map, when, if they could master the very simple melee system, they could get 25+ every map, this usually doesnt go down well amongst said newbs.

p.s. To the guy above, you have a pet peav with the plasma caster? Its now the predators only true reliable ranged weapon, it needs a long charge to lock-on and kill(giving away the pred's position), it can only be fired 4 times max(even less if you heal at some point), and doesnt always hit due to the tracking system, any small change in direction throws it off considerably. And after the latest patch it doesnt knock down without nearly full charge.

If they nerf the caster from its current incarnation then I want the pulse rifle's damage nerfed by 50% and my cloak to not "shimmer" when moving so I can engage in melee with marines more often without having to be up high.

Kane

Kane

Quote from: Wolf_sas on Apr 13, 2010, 09:52:33 AM
Game is fine as it is, just include an option for server admins to remove stealth kills and the game will be perfect.

I didnt mind the E spammers at first because I thought it was a novelty and would eventually die down, but now, holy shit, some people(the vast majority of alien players) only use the w,s,a,d and E keys, its just disgusting.

True.
I hate it when aliens / preds circle around me and then just press E.   >:(
It wouldn't be a problem when they actually try to put up a fight, but there are players out there who are, like you said, just trying to get behind you to sk.

Brother

Brother

The lag issues make it worse when you are getting sked all over the place and can't even see the guy. And there will always be lag so to fix the thing would require serious work and changing the whole concept, something I don't see happening.

safetyman

safetyman

Quote from: S.Y.L on Apr 13, 2010, 06:30:17 AM
No, guys... There are serious implications that point toward the needlessness of a crouch feature, but from here on my post is going to trail into a generic PR non-answer to dodge having to give a real, honest-to-god answer.

You should know, you yourself do it and you work with the people that wave legitimate questions away using that phrase... paraphrased, of course.

michibee

michibee

Quote from: Deviation on Apr 13, 2010, 03:24:05 AM
Quote from: xenotool on Apr 12, 2010, 08:46:14 PM
how about fixing the broken melee altogether?

The sliding counters that never connect in time , the predator HA that hits you from around corners, the 10ft stealthkill slides, the predator that just won't get knocked off its' feet?

that'd be pretty awesome.

We have a winner.
I totally agree with him. +1

S.Y.L

S.Y.L

Quote from: safetyman on Apr 13, 2010, 02:32:09 PM
Quote from: S.Y.L on Apr 13, 2010, 06:30:17 AM

You should know, you yourself do it and you work with the people that wave legitimate questions away using that phrase... paraphrased, of course.

that didn`t answer anything, what implications were you talking about?

xenotool

xenotool

Thanks. The melee is supposed to be the meat n' bones of the gameplay. As it stands (at least online), it definitely doesn't work as it should.

S.Y.L., he's just being sarcastic stating that rebellion is always dodgy when it comes to answering why crouching shouldn't be in the game. IMO it's just cutting corners and unnecessarily simplifying gameplay.

Wolf_sas

Wolf_sas

Actually, remove the stun from wall tail, its disgusting having to just stand there and take 3 alien tail hits by some pleb because of the stun lasting 5 seconds a time.

It promotes one style of repetitive inane game play and every map becomes a stale wall tailing afair with sometimes up to 3 aliens all scurrying around on the ceiling hammering the heavy attack key in the vain hope that one hits you.

Brother

Brother

Should we remove the pred stun too?

Highflys

Highflys

About the Wall Tail, it takes 3 hits to kill an enemy, but the stun from each almost guarantees a consecutive hit. This could be fixed, but it would be taking away from the Alien's already limited offensive capabilities. Granted, in levels like Pyramid, it becomes absurdly spammable. But this is where strategic planning comes into play. If you're playing with aliens, it makes sense that you should stay away from walls and avoid lingering in hallways. Hallways and walls are the Aliens' turf, just like high perches are occupied by Preds so they can see everything and strategize accordingly.There are definite and simple ways to avoid the wall tail. Such a conditional advantage does not deserve nerfing. However, if it had to be done, how would balance be preserved? Reduce stun and increase damage? Or simply learn from your own mistakes? Just stay away from walls and be more aware of your surroundings. Who's going to use Wall Tail if a smart Marine is out of reach and continually punishes Wall-Tailers? No one.

Darklarik

Darklarik

Quote from: -Sharky- on Apr 12, 2010, 08:13:32 PM
Okey takeing a break from AVP now so I can come up with some stuff here I really think we need in the next patch:

Fix Stealth kill range, make it even smaller - still seeing ppl SK from 10-20 feet.
Perhaps add a function when you turn around, SK is canceled before it has stared (this is perhaps better than range fix?).

i dont think a cancel, but instead a front grab, which causes damage, simply dosent kill when done prematurely. so the person dosent bitch for suffering from lag and that the stealth kill dosent work because the lunge wasent fast enough to keep up with a running player.

Ps: they already said the flamethrower would receive balancing.

Eldritch

Eldritch

Quote from: Highflys on Apr 13, 2010, 11:50:43 PM
About the Wall Tail, it takes 3 hits to kill an enemy, but the stun from each almost guarantees a consecutive hit. This could be fixed, but it would be taking away from the Alien's already limited offensive capabilities. Granted, in levels like Pyramid, it becomes absurdly spammable. But this is where strategic planning comes into play. If you're playing with aliens, it makes sense that you should stay away from walls and avoid lingering in hallways. Hallways and walls are the Aliens' turf, just like high perches are occupied by Preds so they can see everything and strategize accordingly.There are definite and simple ways to avoid the wall tail. Such a conditional advantage does not deserve nerfing. However, if it had to be done, how would balance be preserved? Reduce stun and increase damage? Or simply learn from your own mistakes? Just stay away from walls and be more aware of your surroundings. Who's going to use Wall Tail if a smart Marine is out of reach and continually punishes Wall-Tailers? No one.

This is probably related to lag, but more than enough times I've seen this one pulled off in under a second. It counts as a heavy attack (damage-wise and stun-wise) but it pulls off like a light attack (fast) and is unblockable.. That is my main problem with the whole thing. Trying not to step to close to an alien is pretty damn hard in most maps, especially when lag is high and aliens move in crack.

Many times, it almost seems as if the regular heavy attacks are really fast to pull off.. you hear the growl/hiss too late, or the heavy attack animations do not show properly when they are pulled off while the attacker is moving..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed