Why isn't Predators (2010) great?

Started by Duracell, Jan 27, 2024, 09:01:32 PM

Author
Why isn't Predators (2010) great? (Read 3,105 times)

BigDaddyJohn

And Fishburne probably costed too much to have around longer anyways  ;D

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 01, 2024, 06:37:13 PMAnd Fishburne probably costed too much to have around longer anyways  ;D

I am just glad wd got him at all. :)

Nightmare Asylum

I really love Fishburne, but I think Predators grinds to a halt once the characters reach his hideout, and it never really recovers after that. There's some pretty decent tension and atmosphere in the first half of the movie up until that point, but from his death onwards, the movie basically becomes a choppy montage of loosely strung together greatest hits beats from Predator.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 01, 2024, 06:57:01 PMI really love Fishburne, but I think Predators grinds to a halt once the characters reach his hideout, and it never really recovers after that. There's some pretty decent tension and atmosphere in the first half of the movie up until that point, but from his death onwards, the movie basically becomes a choppy montage of loosely strung together greatest hits beats from Predator.

I wholeheartedly agree. It stagnates in the hideout. 

Thatguy2068

From what I saw the movies is decent, then again, it's been a while since I watched the movie so maybe later I'll watch it again.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I think this film aged a bit better with time. Back when it came out expectations were much higher. And it looks even better now since The Predator came out and just shit the bed.

The film overall, though, has a lack of oompf! In the first film, you really feel how Dutch's team is rattled, but you don't get that same sensation here. Also, I find it annoying how it spells out everything to the audience. It has a bad habit of doing that.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Predators definitely felt retroactively better after The Predator, but then Prey came along and delivered a much more solid experience with the tone I was expecting from Predators to begin with. Predators totally fizzles out in its back half in a way that Prey never does.

If we ever do see another Predator movie set in space (Which I want! Please do that, Badlands!), I hope it's a much more heightened, stylized, pulpier locale than the pretty standard Earth-like forest/jungle of the hunting preserve planet in Predators.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Did they really plan to use Danny Glover instead of Fishburne in the initial stages? It would have been kind of disrespectful for the character.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 02, 2024, 12:56:25 PMDid they really plan to use Danny Glover instead of Fishburne in the initial stages? It would have been kind of disrespectful for the character.
Yeah, I'd rather they let past characters be, ESPECIALLY if the treatment is poor, which it usually turns out to be. So glad Arnold said no all this time.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Interesting that he agreed with Hunting Grounds though.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2024, 12:40:20 PMPredators definitely felt retroactively better after The Predator, but then Prey came along and delivered a much more solid experience with the tone I was expecting from Predators to begin with. Predators totally fizzles out in its back half in a way that Prey never does.

If we ever do see another Predator movie set in space (Which I want! Please do that, Badlands!), I hope it's a much more heightened, stylized, pulpier locale than the pretty standard Earth-like forest/jungle of the hunting preserve planet in Predators.

Would be neat to see The Predator bunt in a desert climate.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Tons of potential there with the mirage effect of the cloaking technology alone.

SiL

SiL

I'd say not many places to attack from above but Prey showed that's irrelevant.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Huntsman on Apr 05, 2024, 07:40:08 AMTons of potential there with the mirage effect of the cloaking technology alone.

Would be sick to do a Lawerence of Arabia scene and an armed man at a well has a Pred cut them down and the blood fills t he well, and he is strung up on a palm tree near the well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed