The Reviews/Interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Oct 02, 2014, 10:36:46 PM

Author
The Reviews/Interviews Thread (Read 109,177 times)

WinterActual

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Wow. I thought the 360 version would be a mess. Glad they've given the people who haven't upgraded a decent version for the old gen

thecaffeinatedone

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Oct 04, 2014, 06:42:39 PM
Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 04, 2014, 06:17:04 PM
http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/alien-isolation-xbox-one/review/

X360A 90/100

360? :p Pretty sure it says Xbox One in the review title.

And what the review platform have to do with the name of the website  ???

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 04, 2014, 06:57:36 PM
Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Oct 04, 2014, 06:42:39 PM
Quote from: WinterActual on Oct 04, 2014, 06:17:04 PM
http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/alien-isolation-xbox-one/review/

X360A 90/100

360? :p Pretty sure it says Xbox One in the review title.

And what the review platform have to do with the name of the website  ???

Disregaurd, misread that as you quoting that they were reviewing it on the 360. :p

MrSpaceJockey

Website doesn't have 360 in the title.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Sure, thats why even their email is still  tips@x360a.org  ;)

MrSpaceJockey

Looks like I'm going to have to send a strongly worded email every time I want to know the name of a website, because the address bar and the website's heading isn't good enough.

Mr. Clemens

Vepariga

Vepariga

i lol at people giving it a bad reveiw becuase the Alien keeps killing them.

Isnt that the point of a perfect killing machine? Of course your going to die, and die alot.

I think they are too used to CoD and rechargeable shields.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Vepariga on Oct 04, 2014, 10:29:43 PM
i lol at people giving it a bad reveiw becuase the Alien keeps killing them.

Isnt that the point of a perfect killing machine? Of course your going to die, and die alot.

I think they are too used to CoD and rechargeable shields.

Quite possibly.

However, I must say that I do think that a lot of people on this forum are being willfully dismissive of the negative reviews, whilst simultaneously cherry picking the positive ones (not necessarily you, Vepariga.  This response really isn't directed at yourself specifically).  I understand what it's like to highly anticipate something, desperately wanting things to turn out for the best.  Even if, often in the process, you end up disregarding anything negative said about that which you've become so invested in.

It's a lot like going out with someone during the initial stages of a relationship.  You're attracted to that's person's natural beauty and are so allured to that person's wily charms that you'll be damned if you won't shout down the first person who dares to badmouth the one with whom you've become so besotted.  The problem is that not all of the time but some of the time; once that initial infatuation has worn off; once the blind nature of love has evaporated into the ether and you now have 20/20 vision; well, now you see the true colours of the one that you've given so much of your heart and soul to.

There, before you, where your loved one once stood; now stands an overweight succubus, with all the charm and grace of a diseased mole rat, swimming in your prize guacamole (which in turn, due to the unfortunate rodent related incident, has now become quite the metaphorical 'guacamole-rat').  In life, sometimes you come to realise that all of those people that you were so very dismissive of; that twat that you punched for calling your partner an asshole...  well, sometimes, in hindsight, you realise that the "twat" was right all along.

What I'm saying is that a review is simply one person's honest opinion of what is, ultimately, a subjective form of art.  Well, unless said review is paid for but then again, how many publishers really pay for a negative review?  Not many, I'd wager.  Therefore, one must assume that the reviewer's opinion is genuine (unless they have an ulterior motive of drumming up controversy by giving a bad review.  Which is a possibility, granted but that's veering far too close into 'conspiracy theory' territory for my liking).

Who knows?  Maybe upon completing 'Alien: Isolation', people's general response will be one of pure love and the masses will have nigh-on nothing but kind words to say about their time with the game.  Equally, perhaps some of us will look back on 'Alien: Isolation' as that regretful fling.  That outwardly gorgeous engagement; the one who turned out to have a rotten, festering core.  Perhaps we'll be made to feel the fool for not best heeding the warnings that came from others.

Either way, does what certain reviewers feel about 'Alien: Isolation' invalidate our ultimate opinion upon the game?  Surely not and if we follow that logic, then does our opinion of the game dictate that any and all reviews must mirror your own thoughts?  I wouldn't say so.  The door swings both ways.  Yes, it's a tired cliché but behind every cliché lies a great truth.

In a long-winded, roundabout way, what I'm saying is; let's just wait until we've actually gotten to know our new love interest properly, before proposing marriage and let's not be so dismissive of those whom have known our newest date for longer than we have.

I'm certainly optimistic about 'Alien: Isolation' but I'm also being sensibly cautious in regards to defending it with any real conviction, at least at this early stage.

Vepariga

Vepariga

Very right you are, I always say the best review is the one you do yourself.  ;)

Hudson

Hudson

This is different because of the context of A:CM, which had almost no positive reviews whatsoever. To have a few negative reviews of this against the majority of people who are either saying "This game is awesome" or "this is one of the best survival horror games ever" is a really strong intidactor that I'm going to enjoy the game.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 05, 2014, 01:09:43 AM
This is different because of the context of A:CM, which had almost no positive reviews whatsoever. To have a few negative reviews of this against the majority of people who are either saying "This game is awesome" or "this is one of the best survival horror games ever" is a really strong intidactor that I'm going to enjoy the game.

Oh, I'd agree with that.  As I said; I myself am remaining (somewhat cautiously) optimistic.  I'm just saying that it doesn't make certain negative reviewer's opinions "wrong".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed