Started by §niperhawk, Dec 11, 2007, 11:11:00 PM

Author
Hunter's arm (Read 13,931 times)

agent_unawares

agent_unawares

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Dec 11, 2007, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Dec 11, 2007, 11:14:18 PM
Quote from: Yellow Alien on Dec 11, 2007, 11:12:09 PM
Acid shouldn't be able to melt his entire arm off. It didn't melt Hudson's arm off...
That's true, but Hudson got lucky, Hicks was true exemple of how bad it could be. his armor melted away in almost seconds then he was passed out rest of the movie.

I think his armor is a little tougher than a cotton jacket.
Lol.

Just... lol.

I love the job that's being done on thie movie so far, but I had to laugh when I saw this comment. [And I had to laugh at how fast the guy's arm got eaten away, too].

Okay, Chem 101, people. An acid eating through something is a chemical reaction. The rate of a chemical reaction has nothing whatsoever to do with how physically resistant to damage a material is. For example, if you're wearing a nice soft cotton shirt, and I'm wearing a nice soft synthetic shirt, and we both get sprayed in acetone, my synthetic shirt will be melted away completely. Your cotton shirt will remain fine. It's due to the nature of the materials.

Whenever we've observed the effects of alien acid before, it has eaten away terribly quickly at non-organic substances, like metal. However, several times, people have gotten splashed with it, and its effect on them was nowhere near as disastrous. Remember how that little bit of acid ate through several floors on the Nostromo? It never even had nearly that bad of an effect on anything organic and living in the films.

Realistically, sure, his arm could have melted off. I'm not going to bother arguing that.  :D

However, saying that "armor is a little tougher than his cotton jacket" really is quite irrelevant to how it's affected by alien acid. Especially since in light of the evidence, it would seem that armor would in fact be destroyed much more quickly.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Sure, I don't know what acid feels like, but I know it burns, and fire hurts. :P

Major Alan Schaefer

Major Alan Schaefer

armor may burn faster but the point was it gave more protection

agent_unawares

agent_unawares

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Dec 11, 2007, 11:56:04 PM
...And why? It was covering the same amount of body area.

Major Alan Schaefer

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: agent_unawares on Dec 11, 2007, 11:56:29 PM
You can't throw that shirt off...

agent_unawares

agent_unawares

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Dec 11, 2007, 11:58:05 PM
...The hell?

Lol, what does that have to do with "I think his armor is a little tougher than a cotton jacket."?

Major Alan Schaefer

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: agent_unawares on Dec 12, 2007, 12:00:26 AM
Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Dec 11, 2007, 11:58:05 PM
...The hell?

Lol, what does that have to do with "I think his armor is a little tougher than a cotton jacket."?
The armor melted the armor not getting the skin, the shirt bacically is touching the skin...

§niperhawk

§niperhawk

^not if you wear baggy clothes  :P

wolfboy

wolfboy

I don't buy the entire "going into shock" thing either. That just seems to be the excuse everyone uses when they're trying to justify something. I'm trying to go easier on them since it's their first major directorial debut, but they'd probably want constructive feedback instead of blind ass-kissing anyway. With that said, this scene could have used a couple more re-shoots.

Everyone knows your body reacts against anything it feels is harmful. When you touch a hot stove, your hand will quickly jerk away from the heat the second there is any contact with the skin. At the very least, he should have reacted to the pain before it melted his arm off.

§niperhawk

§niperhawk

He's mentally disabled then, give the guy a break

Weasel

Weasel

I agree with both sides. While I can believe shock and not being able to feel anything, their acting should have been better.

MrLee

MrLee

guys.

its a small like 1 minute long character....who cares really?

the acting in alien ressurection sucked, so chill.

agent_unawares

agent_unawares

Quote from: §niperhawk on Dec 12, 2007, 12:08:39 AM
^not if you wear baggy clothes  :P
Exactly what I was going to say.

Anyway, even if the shirt was skintight, instead of a loose jacket, for the purposes of your argument, Major Alan Schaefer, still, this has nothing to do with how "tough" one or the other is... And I'm not trying to argue he should keep his arm here. XD

However, the whole "Hicks' armor shielded him better, and he took it off, so he wouldn't be as damaged by the acid" argument is pretty lame, seeing that Hicks was...err...splashed by acid and horribly burned by it. Obviously, he either didn't get the armor off in time, or it splashed around the gaping holes in the armor [which were the only reason he could even get it off in time]. So, Hicks was splashed by acid, whether or not the armor was tougher, and it really didn't have the effect we're seeing in this movie. If it did, Hicks would have been headless, probably armless, and sideless.

§niperhawk

§niperhawk

Quote from: mrlee on Dec 12, 2007, 12:14:30 AM
guys.

its a small like 1 minute long character....who cares really?

the acting in alien ressurection sucked, so chill.
we like bitching about small and random stuff though ;)

geestewart

geestewart

Quote from: wolfboy on Dec 12, 2007, 12:10:39 AM
I don't buy the entire "going into shock" thing either. That just seems to be the excuse everyone uses when they're trying to justify something. I'm trying to go easier on them since it's their first major directorial debut, but they'd probably want constructive feedback instead of blind ass-kissing anyway. With that said, this scene could have used a couple more re-shoots.

Everyone knows your body reacts against anything it feels is harmful. When you touch a hot stove, your hand will quickly jerk away from the heat the second there is any contact with the skin. At the very least, he should have reacted to the pain before it melted his arm off.

please read my post on the first page.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed