Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 75,722 times)

Mr. Domino

Eh, I have an obsessive-compulsive personality. Doesn't get any duller than buying the 43rd action figure of an alien. But, that's not to say that I do that every single time in every single game. Just that it's a prevailing theme with me.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 02, 2014, 09:25:58 AM
Some more videos - haven't watched them yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuDlzZFWa0#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SURnnoU8JjI#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-Eq1TqWo0#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfh_qWCe4QI#ws

I watched the first 10 minutes of the first vid.

I don't have the faintest idea what the f**k that guy was talking about.

Corporal Hicks

As in the mechanics of the game?

Mr. Clemens

The mechanics are a breeze to learn. My 14 year-old son went from knowing nothing about it (and not really caring) to getting totally swept up in the excitement. It's one that anyone can learn through playing.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 04, 2014, 07:19:02 AM
As in the mechanics of the game?

He might as well have been speaking Zulu.

Except I know one word of Zulu.

But CCGs have always baffled me.

Xenomrph

I remember playing Magic The Gathering wayyyy back when it was new (and I was in, like, elementary school) and the old Star Wars CCG which was a lot of fun, but I haven't played anything since then.

Corporal Hicks

This isn't like a CCG.  I haven't played it, only watched the videos and read the rules so I'm trying how to best describe it...

You build your desk as you go on. You have cards that have "recruit" values that let you pick new characters from the HQ if you have enough points for them. You have other cards that deal damage instead. You're able to combo cards based on traits and etc.

SM

Whatever - CCG, deck building, there's cards of characters, and places and events and makes me go like Marlin in Finding Nemo trying to understand the little turtle.

PRJ_since1990

Got the opportunity last weekend to play with my cousins (14 and 18 yr old) and we had fun. It's a game that can be a struggle the first time you play. No where in the rules booklet does it talk about how to recruit or fight. That is, what you do with the physical cards.

It would have been nice for them to specifically say "Keep your 13 card deck in front of you on the table but not on the playmat as there are no spaces for your specific deck. When you fight or recruit, you discard your cards into a discard pile that should be kept face up next to your specific deck." Arguably, for new players, this is the second biggest hurdle when your new to the game and playing alone or with other newbies, right next to the nightmare of sorting the cards after first opening the box.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those who have played, a rule clarification please. Certain cards have the Weyland-Yutani symbol in the text with an ability next to it. I know the symbol corresponds to the Alien deck's character cards, but the ability itself is triggered when you play the card but only if you played a character card already that turn (or 2, in some cases) correct? Same for class abilities right? Thanks.

Mr. Domino

You're absolutely correct on that rule, PRJ. As to the things not in the rulebook, I can't really speak to that, since I played the Marvel version first, and watched videos, so the rulebook for me was just filling in the gaps.

PRJ_since1990

If I only had the pleasure of playing the Marvel one first I probably wouldn't of had such a tough time but it all makes sense now. And thanks for clarifying. I don't think there's any other confusing items at this time. Anything you can think of?

Corporal Hicks

Watch some of the play through videos I posted earlier. It's how I've picked up most of the rules.

PRJ_since1990

Already did Hicks! Actually had the greatest game even tho we lost in the end. Got facehugged and had to shuffle the chestburster into the deck. My fiancé played the card that let's you look at the top card of my deck and kill it. Guess what card it was...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07lZncIe5zM#ws

Some more videos for the Aliens scenario. I've ordered the game from Beer and Pizza Games - seems to be the only place in the UK that is selling. None of my FLGS have got it in and I got too impatient. Really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Watching play videos on YouTube can only sustain me for so long.

My copy has been shipped!  ;D

Corporal Hicks

I got my copy yesterday!!  ;D Considering the reports of missing cards, I'm pretty chuffed to find I'm only missing a single objective card - Obj 3 for Alien Res. Can someone post up what the card text is whilst I wait for a replacement?

I played 2 games of Alien with some friends -there were 3 of us and I found the difficulty ramped up a bit. For the first game was followed the suggestion of the rulebook for a first playthrough. The 3rd hazard took me and another player out in our first playthrough and then the Aliens got the last player. We immediately reset for another go. I love all the different avatars: it wasn't as clear-cut as I thought it was going to be.

We changed roles for the next playthrough, going for medic, recon and synthetic. We managed to make it through to the final objective on that go but ultimately the Aliens swarmed up because we weren't always buying the right cards from the HQ. But we loved it!

I played a game of Alien 3 when I got home - because I haven't seen anyone playing it on the videos - and thoroughly enjoyed the scenario. I had medic and mercenary out and really loved the merc. It was another fun one. Lots of friends are interested in playing so I'm hoping to get more table time in and do a review. But I recommend picking this up!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed