X-Box One Discussion

Started by ShadowPred, Aug 06, 2012, 10:21:00 PM

Author
X-Box One Discussion (Read 151,094 times)

Nightlord

Cellien

Cellien

I live out on an acre in the country 30 miles from the city and the internet options here are very small.  Yet I still get a 15 megabit connection, which is more than enough than what the X1 is going to require.  I have a range extender to beam a signal to my chicken pin for my IP cam.  If my chickens can get internet out on my property, surely others can.  :P  I'm kidding, but hey, I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere.

Honestly though, I subscribe to video steaming services, iTunes, and other services (like Steam, Carbonite, Xbox Music, PSN Plus) that require me to be online to use them at all.  I'm used to it and every one of my consoles (this gen) is always connected anyways.  Sometimes, when my 360 or PS3 isn't online for whatever reason - I go out of my way to get them on before I start playing a game.  It actually feels strange to me when they are offline, like being at a party but locked in a room by yourself with your own boombox.

I guess if one were looking for a silver lining in all this, it might be that bottom-feeders-turned-mega-corporations like Gamestop are not the ones benefiting the most and more money goes to the developers (even publishers) that actually made the games happen in the first place.  Maybe even prices can come down, basically like we saw happen with Steam.  The model of Gamestop raping customers for trade-in values and shafting publishers by undercutting them by $5 doesn't seem sustainable, to me at least.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Having to check in feels to much like a jealous insecure lover who wants to hang on to as much control as possible. All the while making your life miserable if you don't spend every waking moment with them.

It also feels like they are trying to hold all the xbox one games anyone anywhere buys hostage in exchange for continued funding for their services. If the service goes down or fades away ... so do those games you bought.

If any current gen game system suddenly ceased to have an corperate enity which supported it ... we could still play the $1000's of dollars worth of games we bought. Rather than have them evaporate into nothingness.

Aspie

Aspie

Nightlord

Nightlord

Quote from: Cellien on Jun 14, 2013, 07:43:44 PM
I guess if one were looking for a silver lining in all this, it might be that bottom-feeders-turned-mega-corporations like Gamestop are not the ones benefiting the most and more money goes to the developers (even publishers) that actually made the games happen in the first place.  Maybe even prices can come down, basically like we saw happen with Steam.  The model of Gamestop raping customers for trade-in values and shafting publishers by undercutting them by $5 doesn't seem sustainable, to me at least.
Well that remains to be seen, giving how PS4 is sticking to the status quo while X1 is trying to kill them, places like Gamestop will probably try to push the PS4 over the X1.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jun 14, 2013, 07:57:39 PM
Having to check in feels to much like a jealous insecure lover who wants to hang on to as much control as possible. All the while making your life miserable if you don't spend every waking moment with them.

It also feels like they are trying to hold all the xbox one games anyone anywhere buys hostage in exchange for continued funding for their services. If the service goes down or fades away ... so do those games you bought.

If any current gen game system suddenly ceased to have an corperate enity which supported it ... we could still play the $1000's of dollars worth of games we bought. Rather than have them evaporate into nothingness.

I guess you don't use Steam, PSN (especially PSN+), WiiWare, XBLA, eShop, Origin, or even iOS/iTunes.  All those games are tied to online accounts that require checks in some form; some of which are wiped if you stop paying (PSN+).  I understand that some of the services I mentioned only require an initial authorization but all of them can potentially suffer the same fate of evaporating into nothingness.  They don't even have a disc as proof.  I'm not defending DRM, I'm drawing comparisons to services that people already willingly use with little hesitation.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

A friend of mine just sent me this

Cellien

Cellien

I'm pretty sure we understand by now that online checks means you need to have internet access. :)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Effectz

Effectz

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed