Ridley Scott Regrets Choosing to Direct Alien: Covenant Over Blade Runner: 2049

Started by RidgeTop, Aug 10, 2023, 05:22:16 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Regrets Choosing to Direct Alien: Covenant Over Blade Runner: 2049 (Read 15,961 times)

RidgeTop

In 2016 Sir Ridley Scott had to make a choice. Which of his landmark science-fiction films would he choose to direct a sequel to? Alien or Blade Runner. Ridley Scott choose to direct Alien: Covenant, and it’s a decision he’s since come to regret. In a recent interview with Empire (reported on by Deadline), the legendary director lamented choosing to helm 2017’s Alien: Covenant over Blade Runner: 2049.

“I shouldn't have had to make that decision, But I had to. I should have done Blade Runner 2.”

Ridley Scott Alien Covenant Set Ridley Scott Regrets Choosing to Direct Alien: Covenant Over Blade Runner: 2049

Ridley Scott was originally attached to direct the long-time coming Blade Runner sequel, but Denis Villeneuve would come onto the project in that role after a scheduling conflict for Scott with Covenant. Scott has previously expressed conflicted emotions surrounding Covenant, such as admitting he was wrong about ‘the beast being cooked,’ and then reiterating that sentiment yet again.

Scott is now finally returning to the world of Blade Runner as producer for the upcoming Amazon Studios series Blade Runner: 2099. His producer role has also brought him back to Alien, being attached to both the upcoming Fede Álvarez directed ‘Alien: Romulus’ as well as the currently in production Alien series helmed by Noah Hawley.

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

Kradan

f**king goddammit, Ridley

Drukathi

He did nothing wrong. I love Covenant and I like BR2049 more than OG  8)

Kradan

I love Covenant too but Ridley's "back-n-forth" style of thinking can get annoying

Prez

Glad he didn't. BR2049 was brilliant and Denis V did an incredible job.

Predatorium

Thank God, Blade Runner 2049 is amazing, made by a much better director.

oduodu

i am not gonna say i am totally the biggest ridley fan but i certainly think visually he is unsurpassed as a director.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Topic was already discussed days ago in the Blade Runner thread RidgeTop.

Kradan

Sagit

I also regret that he directed (or even created) Covenant. On the other hand I'm happy he didn't touch the Blade Runner. Silver linning and all that.

BlueMarsalis79

I can not see Ridley Scott doing this,

Or this,

Or this,

So I am glad we got exactly what we did when it comes to Blade Runner.

Nightmare Asylum

To copy/paste my thoughts over from the Blade Runner thread:

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 04, 2023, 02:27:48 AMFrom his perspective, I totally get this. He never should have been put in the situation where they were both locked into release dates in the same year like this, and given the varied fan responses to both films, I see where he would retroactively wish he chose in the opposite direction in this impossible scenario...

That being said, as a fan that loves both films that we got out of this, I have to say (with my biases in full effect) that I'm very ok with the way things played out.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 04, 2023, 01:08:31 PMI think Ridley's 2049 would have been a bit weirder than Denis' (see Ridley's own Blade Runner film, the concurrently released Alien: Covenant, and Denis' Dune for comparison's sake), which certainly would have been interesting to see, but I do honestly think that the way it split, with Ridley tackling Covenant and Denis doing 2049, worked out for the best and I am truly happy to have both films in their current iterations as they exist, even though I do totally also get Ridley's retroactive second guessing of himself.

That all being said, I do hope Ridley does get to direct at least the pilot for 2099...

BlueMarsalis79

Covenant never should have even existed, had they made Prometheus right in the first place.

oduodu

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 10, 2023, 11:08:44 AMCovenant never should have even existed, had they made Prometheus right in the first place.

agree

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed