Sometime the Wolf: A supernatural werewolf western

Started by Bat Chain Puller, Jan 03, 2012, 01:54:35 AM

Author
Sometime the Wolf: A supernatural werewolf western (Read 17,716 times)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

I've always hated trying to come up with titles. I can write, direct, edit ... but the titles are never catchy or end up being confused with something else, or forgettable.

I'd like something that pops. Something stark and not too wordy.

Some elements to help you guys brainstorm.

It's going to be played seriously. It's going to be shot in HD and take place around the Appalachian Mountains in the late 1800's sometime after the Civil War. The main character will be a veteran turned Bounty Hunter who is tracking a werewolf. (He isn't a werewolf himself ... but he knows this beast in human form and there is some connection between them.) I want to shoot it in the snow. (Or at least the climax.) The beast effects will be a combination of makeup/prosthetics and subtle digital transformations. It will be 20 minutes or so in length. It's going to have a No Country for Old Man vibe with sprinklings of Sergio Leone.

Those are the preliminary details. The only thing that may change is the date ... I may make it Post Apocalyptic to avoid having to conform too strictly to period costuming.

Have fun. Feel free to drop any other ideas you have into the thread and we'll see what happens!

Shasvre

Silver Bullet?

Sounds like it would already be taken though.

Sounds like a cool idea by the way. I hope we get a chance to see it around here. :)

Bat Chain Puller

Silver Bullet has been taken. And rather well I might say in a short story by Stephen King then 80's horror film. I remember it being quite dread inducing as a kid.

Thanks. If it comes to fruition I'll certainly post it here.

And with your knack for breaking movie news maybe you can update me on how I'm coming along.  ;)

I'm thinking of casting a professional model as the beast. (Or rather as the beasts human/transitioning form.) Someone local to me with general Native American features.

Ghostface

FULL MOON BOUNTY

MrSpaceJockey

Hunter's Moon.

But really, this project sounds quite badass.  I suck at making titles on the spot though, so sorry!

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Rothschild on Jan 03, 2012, 02:59:27 AM
FULL MOON BOUNTY

Initially I liked it ... then I said it out loud and it sounded a bit like "The Full Monty." but in space. lol

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 03, 2012, 03:05:22 AM
Hunter's Moon.

http://www.zuguide.com/image/Raoul-Bova-AVP-Alien-vs-Predator.12.jpg

But really, this project sounds quite badass.  I suck at making titles on the spot though, so sorry!

I dig the connection though. I'm putting this into the maybe pile! How was that said in Spanish? I'm not opposed to it being a Spanish title. Not like I have a studio that's worried it won't play well with white audiences because they think it's a Mexican bow-hunting film.  :laugh:

Ghostface

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 03, 2012, 03:18:20 AM
Quote from: Rothschild on Jan 03, 2012, 02:59:27 AM
FULL MOON BOUNTY

Initially I liked it ... then I said it out loud and it sounded a bit like "The Full Monty." but in space. lol

I keep saying FULL MOON BOOTY. But that's the title for a completely different kind of project  ;)

Predator Queen

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 03, 2012, 01:54:35 AM
I've always hated trying to come up with titles. I can write, direct, edit ... but the titles are never catchy or end up being confused with something else, or forgettable.

I'd like something that pops. Something stark and not too wordy.

Some elements to help you guys brainstorm.

It's going to be played seriously. It's going to be shot in HD and take place around the Appalachian Mountains in the late 1800's sometime after the Civil War. The main character will be a veteran turned Bounty Hunter who is tracking a werewolf. (He isn't a werewolf himself ... but he knows this beast in human form and there is some connection between them.) I want to shoot it in the snow. (Or at least the climax.) The beast effects will be a combination of makeup/prosthetics and subtle digital transformations. It will be 20 minutes or so in length. It's going to have a No Country for Old Man vibe with sprinklings of Sergio Leone.

Those are the preliminary details. The only thing that may change is the date ... I may make it Post Apocalyptic to avoid having to conform too strictly to period costuming.

Have fun. Feel free to drop any other ideas you have into the thread and we'll see what happens!
Prairie Wolves

Yes it's a nick name for a coyote but that's the point, after that era in time there will be none or just a few wolves in the US.

Deathbearer

Wolfboys

like cowboys..only with wolves.

MrSpaceJockey

Men of the Moon?

And hunter's moon was "La luna del cacciatore."  A bit too long for my taste, but I'd like to know if you like it.

maledoro

maledoro

Wolf's Moon. Set it in January.

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Rothschild on Jan 03, 2012, 06:08:21 AM
I keep saying FULL MOON BOOTY. But that's the title for a completely different kind of project  ;)

I'll have to consort with Maledoro on how to go about shooting that one.

Quote from: Predator Queen on Jan 04, 2012, 12:31:13 AM
Prairie Wolves

Yes it's a nick name for a coyote but that's the point, after that era in time there will be none or just a few wolves in the US.

I didn't know that was a nickname for Coyotes. But it does sounds like a Don Bluth movie full of friendly animated Coyotes with celebrity teen voices. That, by the way, would probably be financially more successful than what I'll end up with. Such is the state of the world.

Quote from: Deathbearer on Jan 04, 2012, 12:49:41 AM
Wolfboys

like cowboys..only with wolves.

I grew up in the 80's and when I see it, and say it ... I just feel like the two Coreys will be obliged to make a cameo.

But I do see what you did there.  ;)

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 04, 2012, 02:12:36 AM
Men of the Moon?

Again, I feel like that's taking us into space. An werewolf astronaut. Now there's a good genre mix!

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jan 04, 2012, 02:12:36 AM
And hunter's moon was "La luna del cacciatore."  A bit too long for my taste, but I'd like to know if you like it.

I like the way it rolls off the tongue. But I agree with you. Too long for a Spanish language title that will ultimately have little to no Spanish dialogue.

Here some I've been kicking around. With hyper critical evaluations following.

Mark of the Beast. (Sounds like a film about the Antichrist)
Blood of the Wolf. (Too obvious. Sounds like a a Johnny come lately 'True Blood' or a riff on "Hair of the Dog".)
The Scar. (It is a novel, but has nothing to do with werewolves)
Red Snow. (Sounds either pretentious, or a like a propaganda film against communism.) Hey now there's an idea if I had the money. A Cold War era Russian werewolf film.
The Ghost Eyes in the Darkness. (Val Kilmer isn't doing anything is he?)

Not in love with any of them. But the words are nice. Maybe in some other order.

I don't feel like any of them have any western DNA inside.

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 03:08:38 AM

AND there's history behind it. I like. Now I need to find a wise old Native American man to be in the film to expound this information to the audience.

maledoro

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Jan 04, 2012, 03:11:40 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Jan 04, 2012, 03:08:38 AM

AND there's history behind it. I like. Now I need to find a wise old Native American man to be in the film to expound this information to the audience.
Careful with that. The "wise old Native American" is a stock character that's been done to death. You could have two cowpokes sitting at a fire and one of them could tell the other about something that was said in his youth, which could lead to "You believe that?" and a deeper insight into how he thinks.

First Blood

Wolves of the West

Could have two meanings. The actual wolves themselves as well as the shady people in and around that time...

Nope

The Good, the Bad, and the Werewolf. dohohohohohoh

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed