Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 283,865 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: StrangeShape on Nov 02, 2013, 05:11:59 AM
It was a pleasant surprise for me. I never heard of it untill I got the Omnibus. People always praise Labyrinth most often but I never heard any praise or mention of Sacrifice. I was surprised how good this little horror story is and the artwork is great. Even the alien's design is so detailed and faithfully recreating Kane's Son

You will from me. Always been one of my favourites.

One of the most fondly-remembered mind-f**ks from the comic series, too.

StrangeShape

It was this story that showed me that there are endless opportunities for very different stories involving alien.Sacrifice became this obscure story while it actually deserves some recognition. Labyrinth deserves all the praise it gets, but Salvation on the other hand, while good,  I didnt find to be exceptional

SpreadEagleBeagle

I agree.

Sacrifice is by far my favorite Alien comic. No other Alien comic comes even close... Labyrinth is great, but it is a little bit too cheesy here and there, and I'm so sick and tired of Colonial Marines in Aliens comics/games/novels...

SM

SM

Labyrinth is hardly a typical Colonial Marines story.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2013, 08:39:46 PM

I know. But the Colonial Marines are still there and the main character (Crespi) is a Colonial Marine. But I do agree with you that Labyrinth is far from a stockpile CM story.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Hopefully this will be good.

Hoping to go back to an AVP2 style game.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I actually liked Salvation better than Sacrifice.  Don't get me wrong, I like the comic and thought it was pretty good, but the ending I thought suffered from some cheese when they sit there talking about dealing with the alien like its no big deal.  I doubt anybody would talk about community spirit when your unarmed with an 8' tall killing machine right in front of you.

My favorites:

Aliens Book One
Aliens Nightmare Asylum
Aliens Alchemy (mediocre artwork but I dig the Alien 3 feel)
Aliens Sacrifice (even with the lets just chill and talk while we are killing the alien its still good, there are much worse plot contrivances in other comics)
Aliens Salvation
Aliens Labyrinth
Aliens Tribes
Aliens Glass Corridor-terrible artwork and rushed story.......still like it.
Not so much the comic versions but I do enjoy reading the novelizations of Berserker (Stephani Perry does the best job catching the locker room mentality of people with guns) and Music of the Spears.

I actually didn't mind the latest Aliens comics to be honest....................until you found out it was a setup for a shitty AvP comic.

AvP and AvP Eternal are the best of those comics.

I've also always been partial to Stronghold.  Yeah its silly as hell, but I still love it.  I always get the urge to read it right before Christmas.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Nov 16, 2013, 08:55:57 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 16, 2013, 08:39:46 PM

I know. But the Colonial Marines are still there and the main character (Crespi) is a Colonial Marine. But I do agree with you that Labyrinth is far from a stockpile CM story.
To be honest there aren't that many "Colonial Marines"-centric stories. Sure they cameo in a bunch, or there are Marine characters, but they aren't the central focus nearly as often as one might think.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Nov 17, 2013, 02:33:40 AM
Not so much the comic versions but I do enjoy reading the novelizations of Berserker (Stephani Perry does the best job catching the locker room mentality of people with guns) and Music of the Spears.

I actually didn't mind the latest Aliens comics to be honest....................until you found out it was a setup for a shitty AvP comic.

AvP and AvP Eternal are the best of those comics.
Just last weekend I re-read the 3 A/P/AvP comic series from 2009 for the first time since they came out, and I like the AvP one the least. Both the Aliens and Predator ones feel unfinished, but moreso because they're setting themselves up for their own stores rather than setting up for AvP. I really liked the artwork in the Aliens one, to be honest. I also liked the Predator one a lot more than I remembered liking it the first time around.

AvP Eternal is a cool story, but it'd have been a lot better as a Predator-only story (which is pretty much what the Predator: Concrete Jungle game is - much of it is cribbed from Eternal). The Aliens really feel like a shoehorned afterthought, and I'd love to see Eternal adapted as a Predator movie.

I'm also of the opinion that all of the novelizations except for Labyrinth are better than their comic book counterparts (especially Hive/Harvest, Music of the Spears, and The Female War), but I like having both because I feel they compliment each other well.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I liked the comics take on the original storyarc just because Book 1 and 2 are much more involved.  I love the scenes of earth falling in the comic that are only passed over and mentioned in the novel, plus I feel the human merc badguys are better than the synth replacements in the novel.  The same for Nightmare Asylum, the couple of pages where the Aliens are ransacking the Marine base is pretty awesome.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the comic versions a lot, I just prefer the novels if I have to pick one over the other. My only exception is Labyrinth, I much prefer the comic over the novel version.

happypred

happypred

I remember in 2009 when I got so excited for the new A/P/AvP comic series...and the I got my hands on AvP: Three World War with its retarded art...

I don't even mind Machiko running around decapitating aliens and predators with her wristblades (OK, I do), but I just want some decently coloured non-cartoonish realistic art

TorsoInvader

Quote from: happypred on Nov 19, 2013, 09:37:59 AM
I remember in 2009 when I got so excited for the new A/P/AvP comic series...and the I got my hands on AvP: Three World War with its retarded art...

I don't even mind Machiko running around decapitating aliens and predators with her wristblades (OK, I do), but I just want some decently coloured non-cartoonish realistic art

IMO TWW was a mess of a series. Random human/pred team up,Machiko killing preds with one blow, using karete against xenos,ETC.

Lol I find myself having a soft spot for some of the more lesser know comics like earth angel and the one with the Vikings who's name I cannot recall ATM.

predxeno

predxeno

I think the allying of Machiko with the Predators in TWW was some vain attempt to pay homage to the original AVP comics, which was pretty stupid; a new entry into a series needs to make its own footprint, not step into one that was made decades back.  I'm still pretty pissed that the AVP writer for this new series is COMPLETELY ignoring the AVP films simply because fans say so (the writers of the other A/P/Prometheus series are not ignoring their films); if there's one thing I've learned, it's that whenever writers follow the word of the fans, it always ends badly.

Mr. Clemens

But, maybe the writers also hate the films? AvP:R was a film that I hated so much, I was actually a little bummed out when I was bought it on blu-ray for Christmas...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. "Ignoring" might only extend as far as "not referencing the specific events/characters of", and by that metric most of the comics "ignore" each other. AvP Evolution largely "ignores" the AvP movies (aside from including the AvP Pred armors as unlockables) and that game is a hoot. "Ignores" also doesn't automatically mean "outright contradicts". 'Predators' ignored 'Predator 2', but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I disliked TWW a lot when it first came out, but on re-reading it.... I still like it the least out of the 3 2009 series that came out, but it has its moments.
I dig the idea of a large group of Preds temporarily allying with humans to stomp another group of Preds, although the interesting thing I noticed from both TWW and the Predator series are that neither series outright give a reason dislike the "Killers". You never actually see them doing anything malicious or evil or really any more reprehensible than "normal" Predators do. In fact the only real difference between the two groups is the color of their armor and that we're supposed to take the regular Predators' word for it that the Killers are the bad guys.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed