Give Paul Anderson a break!

Started by War Wager, Apr 01, 2007, 01:18:22 AM

Author
Give Paul Anderson a break! (Read 24,129 times)

Aliendrone

Aliendrone

huh ???

Aliendrone

Aliendrone

anyway, come on, i love avp, and i like anderson's other films. Yeah, avp could have been a lot better, hell give cameron the movie and we'd have ourselves one of the best films of 2004.

but still, its been 2...3 years since avp came out. leave him alone and concentrate on avp2, which i think will be just as good.

Make fun of me for loving avp, but i do and i know that i'm not alone.

Katarn

Katarn

Quote from: Aliendrone on Apr 06, 2007, 05:54:34 PM
Make fun of me for loving avp, but i do and i know that i'm not alone.
'
You're not. I love AvP as well.  ;D

War Wager

War Wager

At least Paul Anderson had the guts to make the movie...

Vader the White

I like AVP. I can watch it over and over again. But somethings were just bad.

Cromartie

Cromartie

No he had the guts to destroy movies..... he has already destroyed the resident evil series FilmWise............

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: CrazyPalpatine on Apr 20, 2007, 12:27:44 PM
No he had the guts to destroy movies..... he has already destroyed the resident evil series FilmWise............
http://www.gifflix.com/./data/media/22/30900483655.gif

Don't you think Mila Jovovich had something to do with that...? LOL

Seriously though, AVP is what I call an 'afternoon movie' to see it, enjoy it and not think about it afterwards... Like a Disney movie or a B-movie...

hell, it changed almost anything regarding the Pred movies, except the possibility that there are different clans  (no, wait... that is in AVP2, selon Colin Strause...!) So, AVP hardly made a dent on the previous material, except (oops) introducing the rites of passage, survival team-up, etc... but hardly changing the hard core of the two Pred movies...These were teenagers, for cripes' sakes...! LOL

See, I take it for what it is: a crossover... a lowly, lowly crossover... and PWA didn't wreck the movies, Fox did...when they grenlighted the script, which they cut, by the way, to the infamous 80, 90-minute length stupidity...

So, PWA's fault was to sign in with this egomaniacal studio... Only if it was Warner...

Ever thought about it...?

SiL

SiL

Quotewhich they cut, by the way, to the infamous 80, 90-minute length stupidity...

A mercy. The deleted material was more of the same suck.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: SiL on Apr 20, 2007, 08:01:45 PM
Quotewhich they cut, by the way, to the infamous 80, 90-minute length stupidity...

A mercy. The deleted material was more of the same suck.

Be as it may... any 90-minute movie is weak because it does not allow enough characterisation to make us regret the death of the characters... I have seen many non-PWA movies with that same problem, so it is not an exclusive PWA trait... That is why Spielberg's movies are 120 munites or longer... The Last Samurai would be atrocious without that two-hour length... And the A and P movies were 100, 110 minutes long, which is not much, but it helps...

PWA's AVP was the victim of the studios, that allowed the rating change for commercial purposes, that cut the length for broader, younger audiences... and also who stripped bare the original script as you can easily see in AVP's final script... The constant interference that FOX enforced, drowned the A sequels and AVP movies, an interference that is the main reason why the Alien franchise is decaying rapidly...

PWA is just the instrument... Fox accepted PWA's script, accepted the PG-13 feel, sqaw the dailies, accepted them, and advertised, marketed and distributed it knowing full well the product they were selling... so, as far as I'm concerned, Fox is the only one to blame, but I understand that it is easier to blame the coach than the player who didn't play for s-h-i-t... Same here, PWA is the patsy for Fox's technocratic view of movies (technology advances over content)...

Darkness

Darkness

QuotePWA's AVP was the victim of the studios, that allowed the rating change for commercial purposes, that cut the length for broader, younger audiences... and also who stripped bare the original script as you can easily see in AVP's final script... The constant interference that FOX enforced, drowned the A sequels and AVP movies, an interference that is the main reason why the Alien franchise is decaying rapidly...

What? We've already been through this once and I even showed you a video interview with Anderson saying that it was PG13 to begin with.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 21, 2007, 07:22:39 PM
QuotePWA's AVP was the victim of the studios, that allowed the rating change for commercial purposes, that cut the length for broader, younger audiences... and also who stripped bare the original script as you can easily see in AVP's final script... The constant interference that FOX enforced, drowned the A sequels and AVP movies, an interference that is the main reason why the Alien franchise is decaying rapidly...

What? We've already been through this once and I even showed you a video interview with Anderson saying that it was PG13 to begin with.

And I remember saying the Rating is the studio's decision, not PWA's... If his script was PG-13-oriented, it was...another thing completely different is the fact that it is the studio and only the studio who decides which script will be used and the ones which will not...So it is not PWA's decision to do the movie with his script, but Fox and Fox alone...

I though you knew this already...or at least understood this...

The movie being PG-13 from the get-go was Fox's decision, not PWA's... If they wanted to do a rated-R movie, they would have chosen somebody else's script... PWA just happened to be the only one who wrote an Earth-set PG-13-friendly script that pleased Fox and convinced them to do the movie... John Davis stated that on AVP's DVD 2 Pre-Prod featurette...

And 'Aliens' demonstrated that a PG-13 rating is not enough to make a movie like AVP to fail... I think the main reason was that fans are too impervious to change, nothing more...

It is not a matter of just agreeng or disagreeing with the changes...They don't want ANY change AT ALL...

Just think about the complaints about AVP that were done, and forget about the 'historical inconsistencies' for a moment... which overzealous fans even looked it up FCOL... !

That is the worse aspect of being a fan: the dogmatic POVS overshadowing evolution of the story which is what sequels were supposed to do: to build on the original, develop ideas that were only superficially mentioned, not explained... evolve and diversify... That is what a sequel is SUPPOSED to do, not  just  hit 'replay'...

But I am rambling again...

Darkness

Darkness

QuoteAnd I remember saying the Rating is the studio's decision, not PWA's... If his script was PG-13-oriented, it was...another thing completely different is the fact that it is the studio and only the studio who decides which script will be used and the ones which will not...So it is not PWA's decision to do the movie with his script, but Fox and Fox alone...

Is this supposed to save Paul Anderson from criticism? It's still his script. He wrote it. He takes the blame. It's his head on the chopping block.

QuoteThe movie being PG-13 from the get-go was Fox's decision, not PWA's... If they wanted to do a rated-R movie, they would have chosen somebody else's script... PWA just happened to be the only one who wrote an Earth-set PG-13-friendly script that pleased Fox and convinced them to do the movie... John Davis stated that on AVP's DVD 2 Pre-Prod featurette...

Somebody else's script? It's not as if there was many to go around. There was Brigg's script which would have been too expensive. And James DeMonaco script too. Don't know what ratings they would have been. It wasn't just about the rating. It's also the initial budget. And Anderson came up with a script that was cheap to do and maximised profits.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: Darkness on Apr 21, 2007, 08:15:55 PM
QuoteAnd I remember saying the Rating is the studio's decision, not PWA's... If his script was PG-13-oriented, it was...another thing completely different is the fact that it is the studio and only the studio who decides which script will be used and the ones which will not...So it is not PWA's decision to do the movie with his script, but Fox and Fox alone...

Is this supposed to save Paul Anderson from criticism? It's still his script. He wrote it. He takes the blame. It's his head on the chopping block.

QuoteThe movie being PG-13 from the get-go was Fox's decision, not PWA's... If they wanted to do a rated-R movie, they would have chosen somebody else's script... PWA just happened to be the only one who wrote an Earth-set PG-13-friendly script that pleased Fox and convinced them to do the movie... John Davis stated that on AVP's DVD 2 Pre-Prod featurette...

Somebody else's script? It's not as if there was many to go around. There was Brigg's script which would have been too expensive. And James DeMonaco script too. Don't know what ratings they would have been. It wasn't just about the rating. It's also the initial budget. And Anderson came up with a script that was cheap to do and maximised profits.

Yes, by sharing blame... Fox gave the greenlight, so they are more to blame than PWA... Look at Shane Salerno's case: he did a terrible first draft, and Fox still maintained their confidence in him, despite the 'violent' criticism...
Even if the script turns out to be utter crap or just passable, Fox will still be the first one to blame for accepting to use resources, finantial and technical, to transfer the script onto film...

I hope if AVP2 plummets, you and the others give Shane Salerno the same courtesy you gave PWA...

PWA has become every fan's favourite punching bag, getting Fox off the hook when they are the chief architects to blame for the fiasco... PWA would have changed his script if Fox wanted him to... Again take Shane Salerno as an example: he did a terrible first draft but was given a second chance to change it... Do you think PWA would start shooting if FOX did not know, right from the beginning, the script and where it would lead...? Of course not... Fox calls all the shots... You know this...

Maybe that was why only John Davis showed his face to promote AVP... Nobody from Brandywine, Walter Hill of David Giler, showed up to promote the movie... stating this was a Predator movie, not an Alien one... And the most relevant additions were to the Pred mythos, not the Alien one...

About the second point you made, I am just stating what John Davis said... maybe he was just excusing himself saying that there were various pitches, even having hired a writing crew at some point, and PWA's presentation of his approach sold him and Fox right away to do the movie... But supposing he is telling the truth, there were various scripts before PWA's, not just one or two...

Again, from what John Davis stated on the AVP DVD 2 Pre-Prod featurette...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

No, Paul Anderson knew very well he was selling his soul away when he wrote that bullshit. Fox, of course are the money hungry bastards that they are. No-one is denying that. They knew full well how much the movie would blow - Well...if they honestly thought Anderson's script would win awards then Murdock and his staff should be fired as soon as possible.

Seriously, you can't expect the director/writer to not take flack if his/her film sucks. Anderson wrote a bad script. It's as simple as that.

Vader the White

The script even said  "PG-13 Friendly Blood" telling us earlier that it would be stupid.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed