Dan Trachtenberg Talks Amber Midthunder's Casting, French Fur Trappers and No Plasma Casters

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 12, 2022, 11:38:18 AM

Author
Dan Trachtenberg Talks Amber Midthunder's Casting, French Fur Trappers and No Plasma Casters (Read 14,954 times)

Corporal Hicks

In another new interview following the release of the full trailer, Dan Trachtenberg spoke to Empire about a number of different aspects of Prey. Talking about casting Amber Midthunder, he spoke about his initial reaction to her audition.

“Primarily because she’s awesome! She read for the role in a hotel room, over Zoom or FaceTime and she really delivered. She transported me, immediately, despite the strange circumstances of her audition tape. She’s incredibly thoughtful, and relatable.

One of the things that I was excited to have was a period piece that didn’t put a wall up between the viewer and the characters. And not stuffy in a way that sometimes a period piece can get. Because it’s of a different time, you forget that people are still people and still felt the same feelings that we feel today, even way back when. And Amber immediately has that laser into our soul of, ‘oh, man, she feels how I feel’. Also, her parents have both been stunt performers in the past and I thought, ‘If they can do it, she can do it too’. And boy, did she! She trained so hard for this movie and really delivers on the action.”

Those of us out there who have been tracking the film closely will have seen actors cast as French fur trappers. When asked about Colonialism in Prey, Trachtenberg also confirmed that we would be seeing those fur trappers, and they have a large role to play in the film.

“I don’t want to speak too much of this. I want to make sure that I let the movie speak for itself. But yes, those are French fur trappers. Right. And, and they do play a significant role in the movie.”

Dan Trachtenberg Talks Amber Midthunder's Casting, French Fur Trappers and No Plasma Casters

Trachtenberg has also spoken in recent days about the inspiration for the portrayal and weaponry of the Feral Predator, as Prey’s Predator was known on set, but while talking to Empire he also confirmed that the Feral Predator is hunting without a very specific piece of technology this time around.

“The primary thing that I wanted to remove was the plasma caster. Just because it just felt like such an instant win button. I wanted to make sure that that the fight could be as exciting as possible without stripping it of its advantages. He doesn’t have all the tools that he has in the in newer movies. But he does have awesome new gadgets for people to see.”

Acknowledging the varying opinions on the quality of the films after the original Predator, Trachtenberg discussed his desire to head back to the basic primal, instincts of that original Predator movie” stating that:

“I think all of the movies after the first one have all had really cool bits. I don’t know if there’s ever been one that on the whole was just a fabulous movie, I think they’ve all had varying degrees of awesome parts in them. So, it was very important to me that not only does this movie have to have awesome parts in it, but it also really needed to have a great story and something that was more universal even than in the original Predator.

I wanted to return to the basic primal, instincts of that original Predator movie. I think so many big swings have been taken since that one. And that was a part of this. ‘Okay, let’s do small again. But in a big way.’ And so, hopefully, for diehard fans of the franchise and all its incarnations, they feel like this movie speaking only to them. And for people who have never seen a Predator movie before, they’re like, ‘Oh, it’s a movie? It’s a real movie? I thought it was just a monster movie!’ It’s both!”

Make sure you head on over to Empire to read the entire piece. Trachtenberg also talks about how the look of Prey was inspired by Texan filmmaker Terrence Malick and Macbeth, easter eggs,  bringing a sense of suspense back to Predator,

Be sure to keep your targets set on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for all the latest Prey news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

BigDaddyJohn

So no plasmacaster confirmed huh ? Interesting.

Wysps

It's pretty cool to see how the story has evolved from the original synopsis that was released however long ago.  Like for instance, the very presence of the trappers.  Not too keen on a team-up, but with so many players on the field it wouldn't surprise me if we got something reminiscent  :-\ 

I think it's a good call on the plasma caster. 

The Shuriken

If the Feral Predator has no plasma caster. What is the targeting laser for?

Master

LSL

No bio mask and no plasma caster. Where does laser come from? Is it just marketing gimmicks like the multiple lasers in the Predators trailer?

Wysps

Quote from: The Shuriken on Jun 12, 2022, 01:38:07 PMIf the Feral Predator has no plasma caster. What is the targeting laser for?
Predator range finder. They're used to measure distance from something like a compound bow to a target.

BigDaddyJohn

I'm so glad to see my fellow frenchmen getting slaughtered by a f**king predator, it's such an honor !

GreybackElder

The more and more I hear about this the more it seems like Dan Trachtenberg understands what it takes to make a good Predator film.

I also approve of the idea of Feral not having a plasmacaster. It just seems so unfair against humans in the 1700s.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: GreybackElder on Jun 12, 2022, 05:36:44 PMThe more and more I hear about this the more it seems like Dan Trachtenberg understands what it takes to make a good Predator film.

I also approve of the idea of Feral not having a plasmacaster. It just seems so unfair against humans in the 1700s.

Absolutely agree.

Kane's other son

I love that he has no plasmacaster. With humans having primitive firearms and bows and arrows, it wouldn't be very sportsmanlike.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Yes it does sound like Dan knows what he's talking about to make a great Predator film but I'm still holding expectations low, in this day and age movies are woke, bad, no great story, not all but most films that come out today are like that

We will see what Prey has in store for us, if it's better then the Predator, that's not saying much, it has to be at least better then predators 2010 to make a statement, I do like that film alot but that's where the standard lies for the new film

Mike’s Monsters

Loving everything I'm reading so far. Seems like Dan really understands what makes the original work. Hope this means he'll deliver a film that's worthy of the original!

[cancerblack]

Quote"I don't want to speak too much of this. I want to make sure that I let the movie speak for itself. But yes, those are French fur trappers. Right. And, and they do play a significant role in the movie."

Like I've been quietly saying for a while now.

Mike’s Monsters

I'm guessing they kidnap Naru, who the Predator is likely hunting. She escapes or is released during a Predator attack, causing a lot of chaos. The settlers probably have some type of conflict with the Comanche tribe. Assuming it would be them taking tons of animals for fur or something making the tribe mad.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed