Author
Mass Effect (Read 419,762 times)

Topazora

Topazora

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 05, 2014, 06:02:12 PM
Quote from: Sagittarius on Dec 05, 2014, 04:42:34 PM
Quote from: Isaac Clarke on Dec 05, 2014, 04:31:26 PM
Is the game good i want the 3rd one.

have you played the first 2?  the third game was... not as good as it could have been, but a very long long shot.  The first game was really good, that's the one you want.  The only reasons to the get the other two is to finish the story.

ME2 was fantastic, what are you talking about when you say to finish the story?

ME2 was ok, not as good as 1 though.  But I guess that's just me.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

1 is my favourite, but 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Gate

Gate

Mass Effect's clever narrative is a challenge to modern writers.

Sabby

Sabby

Am I the only one who thinks 3 is the best?

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Sabby on Jan 25, 2015, 03:04:29 AM
Am I the only one who thinks 3 is the best?
Everytime I replay it, I get a tug at my heart. I agree with you.

Darkblade 25

Darkblade 25

I love Mass Effect in fact I played it all day and all night so worth to get I am almost done with the game.

Predator Queen

Predator Queen

I seriously think the first one is the best still after all this time. Shepard was a nobody special in the first then in the 2nd 3rd game was just kinda this big hero. The first bonding moments with your team really made me care about each of the characters. Then when it comes to the protagonist of the game it felt like he wasent exactly just a bad guy to be bad he at least to me was very sympathetic in trying to do what he thought was right. Eh whatever.

Sabby

Sabby

Yeah, that's always been my problem with Mass Effect, and a lot of other games and movies. The 'hero' is a roaring neanderthal, while the 'villain', while definitely a bag of dicks, has reasons why they do what they do. Saren and Illusive Man, while being horrible people, explain why they do what they do, and I can at least nod and understand how they came to do this, which is more then Shepherd ever did. Shep never has a single moment of weakness, not a single attempt to consider the enemies position or doubt her own conviction, she just stomps and yells and repeats the same bland black and white moral outrage whenever faced with anything grey.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but it's been a constant irritation. I don't expect Shep to come to Illusive Mans side, but a few seconds of independent thought would be appreciated. Hell, the only time I remember her ever having a moment of weakness, it wasn't about whether or not Cerberus or Sarens alliance are necessary evils in a very real extinction event, it's whether or not she can round up a big enough posse.

Basically, Shep is a thug to me.

Gate

Gate

Unlike you I didnt make my Shepard grow up on Earth and she was a War Hero so she was neither a thug nor a nobody.

/Argument destroyed.

Sabby

Sabby

Her background doesn't drastically overhaul her dialogue. She still acts like a thug. I hope you realize 'thug' doesn't necessarily mean bad person. I suppose meathad would be more appropriate, but she doesn't come across as unintelligent.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I think your point of view of who Shepard is depends on how you play and how much you invest yourself in your character and the choices you make through out each game.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 05, 2015, 07:36:13 AM
I think your point of view of who Shepard is depends on how you play and how much you invest yourself in your character and the choices you make through out each game.

This. It's an RPG, your investment is what connects you to your Shepard; I always found myself creating character reasons for decisions and motivations.

Sabby

Sabby

No, it doesn't work that way. No matter how hard you think about it, you can't just change whats happening on screen and change the meaning of Sheps words. You can certainly give it context in your head, but you cannot change it. No matter what kind of character I make, my choices of dialogue still come across as that of a commanding but simplistic person.

It wouldn't be a problem for me if the villains weren't always far more intelligent. It makes me hard to side with Shep. I mean... she's right. Illusive Man is a bag of dicks and Shep should punch his face in. But listening to the two of them talk to each other, I feel embarrassed to side with Shep.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Shep is a futuristic thug with access.

I'm sure EDI thought about pulling a Dangerous Minds style intervention at least once.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Sabby on Feb 07, 2015, 04:32:31 PM
No, it doesn't work that way. No matter how hard you think about it, you can't just change whats happening on screen and change the meaning of Sheps words. You can certainly give it context in your head, but you cannot change it. No matter what kind of character I make, my choices of dialogue still come across as that of a commanding but simplistic person.

It wouldn't be a problem for me if the villains weren't always far more intelligent. It makes me hard to side with Shep. I mean... she's right. Illusive Man is a bag of dicks and Shep should punch his face in. But listening to the two of them talk to each other, I feel embarrassed to side with Shep.

Well, it does work that way. Video games, RPG's especially are a slightly more grown up version of playing make believe. You choose the choices that most suit you as an individual, some key conversations would be Ash's xenophobia or faith in god, or talking to Wrex about all the problems the Krogan face, key actions would be the virmire choice, or stopping Garrus from killing Sidonis or Jack from killing Aresh, handing over the base to TIM, and as we all know by now, the ME3 ending.

Even if it does come off as simplistic (which I don't think it does, especially if your full Paragon/Renegade), the main thing to remember is that Shepard isn't someone in command of an organization like TIM, he/she was a grunt, an officer yes but a grunt all the same. Shepard isn't going to articulate or hold a conversation like a scholar based on the options we're given to choose from when we first design him/her.
Shepard isn't an idiot, there's different types and levels of intelligence, Shepard's is just different from TIM's.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed