The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 465,071 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The things he'll do for love...

Shasvre

Shasvre

A question for those of you who have read the books. While the show is generally high praised, is there something you're not happy with? I've been thinking of it while reading the books and sometimes it just feels too gritty and gray. Even in the north and the dark places there's room for beauty and luxury in the books. Take Mance Rayder and his tent for example. I got the impression that he was supposed to be living at least somewhat like a king, but in the show it's very dull. Some of this might have something to do with the budget, but it's probably also a decision made by the creators. Any thoughts on this? :-\

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

I don't have any huge concerns however I hope that they don't write themselves into a corner with the simingly small changes they make here and there. So far they've gotten away with it and it's been fine but in a series further down the line a change they made earlier could make things difficult for them.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Shasvre on Sep 13, 2013, 07:56:20 PM
A question for those of you who have read the books. While the show is generally high praised, is there something you're not happy with? I've been thinking of it while reading the books and sometimes it just feels too gritty and gray. Even in the north and the dark places there's room for beauty and luxury in the books. Take Mance Rayder and his tent for example. I got the impression that he was supposed to be living at least somewhat like a king, but in the show it's very dull. Some of this might have something to do with the budget, but it's probably also a decision made by the creators. Any thoughts on this? :-\

Thing I'm most unhappy with was Jon's bit of the story sorta getting axed in Season 2. The cave chase was one of the greatest, most intense things in the books, and it was just gone completely.

Also, the Tower of Joy being cut from Season 1.

Cut some important foreshadowing out of the House of the Undying, as well, which was a shame. That prophecy is damned important to Danaerys. Hopefully they work that back into season 4.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Sep 13, 2013, 10:12:17 PMAlso, the Tower of Joy being cut from Season 1.

Ned telling the story or was that actually supposed to be shown?

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Sep 13, 2013, 10:12:17 PM

Thing I'm most unhappy with was Jon's bit of the story sorta getting axed in Season 2. The cave chase was one of the greatest, most intense things in the books, and it was just gone completely.

What did the cave chase entail?

I'm a book noob, but I'm going to buy all of them so far at Christmas.

Something interesting, but one of the upcoming / final two books - I can't remember which - was originally going to be titled 'A Time for Wolves'. Maybe the Starks finally will get some good luck...

Kimarhi

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Xenodog on Sep 13, 2013, 10:50:05 PM

Spoiler
Started out with Qhorin's scouting party slowly getting picked off, one by one, either by the elements or the Wildlings. They try everything to throw off the pursuit (climbing dangerous peaks, splitting up, etc.). Ultimately, only Jon and Qhorin are left. In one last-ditch attempt, Qhorin leads the two of them into a cavern under the mountains.

I'm not describing it that well, but it was an incredibly great piece of writing.
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Sep 13, 2013, 11:08:24 PM
Quote from: Xenodog on Sep 13, 2013, 10:50:05 PM

Spoiler
Started out with Qhorin's scouting party slowly getting picked off, one by one, either by the elements or the Wildlings. They try everything to throw off the pursuit (climbing dangerous peaks, splitting up, etc.). Ultimately, only Jon and Qhorin are left. In one last-ditch attempt, Qhorin leads the two of them into a cavern under the mountains.

I'm not describing it that well, but it was an incredibly great piece of writing.
[close]

Still sounds like a good scene - looking forward to the books!

Valaquen

Valaquen

Also, the Tower of Joy being cut from Season 1.

Cut some important foreshadowing out of the House of the Undying, as well, which was a shame. That prophecy is damned important to Danaerys. Hopefully they work that back into season 4.
The House of the Undying wouldn't have worked onscreen if depicted right out of the book. Seen visually, it's not so mysterious and could have spoiled the RW in advance. I like what we got with the ruins of the throne room, because even book readers don't know what it entails.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Valaquen on Sep 14, 2013, 09:40:21 AMI like what we got with the ruins of the throne room, because even book readers don't know what it entails.

I'm guessing...

Spoiler
That's what's going to happen if they don't stop the White Walkers. The Winter will swallow even the south.
[close]

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Changes to the book can be extremely hit or miss.

For the first half of Jon's story this season I thought they kinda dropped the ball. Mance wasn't given enough time to flesh out, nor were the Wildlings. But after Kissed By Fire, I liked most of the changes, particularly the final scene between Jon and Ygritte, which wasn't in the books but puts a nice period on that storyline and relationship for now.

I liked the Brotherhood meeting Melissandre. Not in the books, but gives the readers a new and interesting interaction.

Didn't really like the emphasis on Robb and Talisa at the expense of Catalyn. Baby Eddard felt like a easy way to make the Red Wedding more brutal. (which it's really not, way more brutal in the book.)

Just some examples.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Valaquen on Sep 14, 2013, 09:40:21 AM
The House of the Undying wouldn't have worked onscreen if depicted right out of the book. Seen visually, it's not so mysterious and could have spoiled the RW in advance. I like what we got with the ruins of the throne room, because even book readers don't know what it entails.

I'm thinking more in terms of this prophecy:

Spoiler
"Three treasons will you know: once for blood and once for gold and once for love..."

It was pretty important to her development, so they should work it back in somehow.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed