The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,980 times)

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 20, 2012, 02:54:18 PM
Spoiler
I've finished it and loved it! The battle at the end is pretty epic, with the ships – and I am very curious to see if HBO will have the budget to pull that off or have the battle without actually showing the battle, similar to the one Tyrion was supposed to be a part of before being knocked unconscious. And it was finally nice to see what the chain was used for - trapping Stannis' fleet in the bay, Tyrion you magnificent bastard. But Stannis lives to fight another day! :)

Bring on Season 2.
[close]

The battle IS definitely in the show. In fact, episode 9 is titled BLACKWATER

Shasvre

Shasvre

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 20, 2012, 10:16:21 PM

Yeah, you tell em' Daenerys! And that's a fine avatar Laufey Stannis. ;D

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

I just edited a Game of Thrones: Season 2 trailer, with all the best clips we've seen of Season 2 so far to the first Prometheus trailer music! I think it's pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVynzr8J_4#ws

Shasvre

Shasvre

Not bad, not bad at all. :)

The music really worked well with the scenes beyond the Wall.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 22, 2012, 06:58:23 PM
Not bad, not bad at all. :)

The music really worked well with the scenes beyond the Wall.

Funny that you say that, because I was originally only doing it for Beyond the Wall, and was going to use footage from Season 1 and Season 2 - but then I found myself including shots that weren't Beyond the Wall, and then it became something totally different, haha.

This is pretty much just a recap of season one, but there is a fair amount of new stuff too (that we have and haven't seen previously for the Second Season):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-5AX8QP9g#ws

Shasvre

Shasvre

That is a f**king great set you have, Michael. Where did you get the font?

Also, can't wait for the full hour behind-the-scenes video on Sunday. :)

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 23, 2012, 05:39:16 PM
That is a f**king great set you have, Michael. Where did you get the font?

Also, can't wait for the full hour behind-the-scenes video on Sunday. :)

The GAME OF THRONES title was from the Wikipedia page but the writing above and below it was just 'Arabic Typesetting' and I added in the lines on the O's myself! :)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Just got done watching the Season 1 blurays.

My Monday-Friday crash course in this series is complete. Mixed feelings. I hated seeing so many awesome characters go after they worked their way into my heart. Lots of unexpected turns. Both good, and disappointing. I have every faith that it will all tie up beautifully. I pray they this show continues at it's own pace to the true conclusion without suffering the same fate as the RUSHED finale of ROME.

I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say:

Spoiler
The forces beyond the wall. Deliciously mysterious and savage. Perfect, perfect, perfect set up for the show. A true 'Phantom Menace.'

Dat Writing. Heart wrenching, funny as hell, and tack sharp.

There isn't one character in this show that isn't a living, breathing, emotionally charged, fully fleshed out, absolutely believable human being. So many personalities and agendas. A FEAST of brilliant dialogue exchanges.

The mighty Khal Drogo smothered in his sleep! WTF ... heart ache.

Dragons and Dire Wolves! Such potential!

Who didn't see Bean's fate coming a mile away?

I'm not usually one for blondes but Daenerys breaks my heart and reforges it anew with her frail/tragic beginnings to her slow burning climb to what surely might be something akin to a Goddess.

Love to HATE those Lannisters but Tyrion is perhaps the best shining example of misplaced, outmatched, underdog in any literary work ever. Probably the most intriguing character so far in the series.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Glad to hear you liked it. :)

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Mar 23, 2012, 06:38:09 PMLots of unexpected turns. Both good, and disappointing.

What would you say disappointed you though?

First Blood

First Blood

Yep, glad you liked it. It's one of the best shows on tv at the moment. How did you feel when...

Spoiler
They killed Sean Bean's character?
[close]

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 23, 2012, 06:43:34 PM
Glad to hear you liked it. :)

Like it? God, I love it. Good thing the center holes in those blurays aren't bigger or I might have had an embarrassing American Pie moment of my own to deal with.  :laugh:

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Mar 23, 2012, 06:38:09 PMLots of unexpected turns. Both good, and disappointing.

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 23, 2012, 06:43:34 PM
What would you say disappointed you though?

It's hard to articulate it without coming across as someone's who's first post here is about how they hate how small the space jockey is. But ... I'll try ...
Spoiler

Through no fault of the show's, I was disappointed that so many well written characters were dropping off after only a few episodes. Characters I wanted to see more of and anticipated getting into show downs with other characters ... hopes dashed when something 'seemly' arbitrary or peripheral happens to them!

Drogo ... and his army. I had grand visions of them sailing across the sea and f**king up some civilized places. Alas, that was not to be ... BUT now we have Dragons ... so you see "With every death, there is the promise of a flower."  ;D

I knew something was going to happen to The King on his hunting trip. But after the episode ended and the next began only to find him suffering from being gored by a pig (very fitting!) I felt like I missed something.

I would have liked a little more with the creatures/forces beyond the wall. That opening was EPIC. Then nothing 'really' again other than whispers and rumors until the '28 Days Later' dude re-animates. The suspense of finding out where those things come from and what is powering them is beyond killing me! I can't wait. I feel like reading the books will spoil it.  ::)

And lastly, the blurays themselves (the navigation and packaging) were on the annoying side. I HATE the style of box sets that 'unfold' like ludicrously long center folds. Give me the book style of ROME and the ALIEN Blurays, any day. Navigation sucked because all the menus (and animations) for all the disks were identical and never indicated to you what bonus features (or episodes) were on what disk until you tried to click it. This was an issue for me since I was watching these in the wee hours after my night shift was up ... and was watching them over the course of a week.  Might be being to hard on this aspect. But fiddling around with this shit between episodes or after 24 hours and trying to remember where I left sometimes took me out of the universe I was so wonderfully comfortable in.
[close]

Quote from: First Blood on Mar 23, 2012, 06:53:09 PM
Yep, glad you liked it. It's one of the best shows on tv at the moment. How did you feel when...

Spoiler
They killed Sean Bean's character?
[close]

Spoiler
I saw it coming from the very beginning really. Lots of foreshadowing. (Plus Bean gets killed in everything!) I thought he's probably get killed the same way Cesar did in the ROME series ... in the second to last episode. A winning formula I suppose.

Having his daughters present was extra heart ache and sets up the youngest for a "Kill Bill" situation. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Mar 23, 2012, 07:09:10 PM
Spoiler
Through no fault of the show's, I was disappointed that so many well written characters were dropping off after only a few episodes. Characters I wanted to see more of and anticipated getting into show downs with other characters ... hopes dashed when something 'seemly' arbitrary or peripheral happens to them!
[close]

Spoiler
I totally understand. There were character I would have loved to see more of, only for them to get killed or not becoming important until later books/seasons. In the end, it adds to the suspense when you don't know what it's going to happen, but definitely knows that no one is safe. :laugh:
[close]

Spoiler
I would have liked a little more with the creatures/forces beyond the wall. That opening was EPIC. Then nothing 'really' again other than whispers and rumors until the '28 Days Later' dude re-animates. The suspense of finding out where those things come from and what is powering them is beyond killing me! I can't wait. I feel like reading the books will spoil it.  ::)
[close]

Spoiler
You'll see more of them as the show moves along. I wouldn't be surprised if they've worked some of the stuff from A Storm of Swords (Book #3) into Season 2. So we might see some stuff sooner than expected. :)
[close]

Spoiler
And lastly, the blurays themselves (the navigation and packaging) were on the annoying side. I HATE the style of box sets that 'unfold' like ludicrously long center folds. Give me the book style of ROME and the ALIEN Blurays, any day. Navigation sucked because all the menus (and animations) for all the disks were identical and never indicated to you what bonus features (or episodes) were on what disk until you tried to click it. This was an issue for me since I was watching these in the wee hours after my night shift was up ... and was watching them over the course of a week.  Might be being to hard on this aspect. But fiddling around with this shit between episodes or after 24 hours and trying to remember where I left sometimes took me out of the universe I was so wonderfully comfortable in.
[close]

Oh, god. I definitely agree with the bonus features. There were plenty of stuff I clicked on only to get Plese Insert Disk #randomnumber thrown in my face. :laugh:

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 23, 2012, 07:17:49 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I totally understand. There were character I would have loved to see more of, only for them to get killed or not becoming important until later books/seasons. In the end, it adds to the suspense when you don't know what it's going to happen, but definitely knows that no one is safe. :laugh:
[close]
Spoiler

Truer words were never said. I love NOT KNOWING. And the emotional weight of losing precious characters IS bearable because I just KNOW it's all working towards a bigger picture. A broader story. In the meantime ... Argh. Sweet Heartbreak.
[close]

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 23, 2012, 07:17:49 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Oh, god. I definitely agree with the bonus features. There were plenty of stuff I clicked on only to get Plese Insert Disk #randomnumber thrown in my face. :laugh:

Exactly! I kept saying to myself. If this was a digital file on a hard drive connected to my TV this wouldn't be happening! The quick and easy path leads to the dark side however. More seductive it is.  :-\

Shasvre

Shasvre

Ygritte! :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed