Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,071,891 times)

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

You guys have been watching some boss movies, Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, Pitch Black, Spawn, The Amazing Spider-Man yeah buddy!!

As for me....

not a god dam thing, I'm bored :-\

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I'm about to watch Batman Begins...then I'm going to move on to The Dark Knight, and HOPEFULLY tomorrow I watch The Dark Knight Rises.

Vepariga

Vepariga

Kung fu panda,Kung fu panda furious five and Kung fu panda 2.

8/10 for all of them. Great wholesome fun with some genuine laughs.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The Dark Knight Rises

Realistic rating: 10/10
Crazy fan-driven rating: 1 000 000/10

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

The Dark Knight Rises

I just got back from a midnight screening that I wasn't planning on going to, and I have to say, I'm very glad that I went. This was a great time at the theater, without a doubt. While I won't say that its the best of the trilogy (it definitely had a few problems, and even if it didn't, I don't know which one I would say is the best...I loved them all for different reasons), I will say that it is an excellent conclusion to what is now one of my favorite trilogies. Spoilers lie ahead:

Spoiler
I'm sure that everyone has already said this a million times already, but both Bane and Catwoman were great in this film. Really excellent characters that felt right at home in Gotham. But for me the character that really stole the show was John Blake. He was just such a likable character and his arc was probably my favorite one to watch play out. The ending honestly left me almost wanting a followup with him in the lead.

I also really enjoyed cameos by both Scarecrow and Ra's Al Ghul, a character who's story tied very heavily into this film. I knew beforehand that Bane had a connection to the League of Shadows, but I had no clue about the personal connection to Miranda (AKA: Talia Al Guhl, a revelation that took me by surprise). I was especially fond of the emotional impact brought in through Alfred, as small as his role was. During Batman's prime, Alfred expressed great interest in the concept and idea of Batman, but in this new, more safe Gotham City, he simply could not find a place for Bruce's philosophy nor could he allow himself to be a part of Bruce's antics any longer.

My favorite aspect of the film was without a doubt the overall sense of scale. While the focus of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight was the role of crime and corruption and the rule it had over Gotham, The Dark Knight Rises took a physical manifestation of this corruption and had it literally rule over Gotham City. This was something that I very much enjoyed seeing play out on screen.

Now, onto my complaints. First and foremost, I have a question: Maybe something went over my head, but just how did Bane know that Bruce Wayne was Batman? Second, I felt that the progression of time happened a little but to fast (the film spans a few months), but I only say that looking back on it now. The only thing that really stood out to me sorely in the theater was the the whole subplot about Bruce making the jump; as nice a scene as it was, it felt a bit forced in my opinion. Still, I liked the parallel between that and the well scene in Batman Begins as well as the connections that it had to Talia.

And about the ending. I can honestly say that I am very, very pleased that the Nolan was bold enough to kill off Batman. A friend of mine said that he thinks Bruce is still alive (because of the ending scene) and that he had actually set the Bat on autopilot and used an evac-seat, but personally, I feel that that undermines the film (and the whole trilogy) completely. Throughout the whole series the focus was on the fact that Batman was an incorruptible symbol and it was great to see that finally, in the wake of his death, this symbol was for once embraced by the public of Gotham. I thought the film wrapped things up very nicely and made for a very good ending to a very good series.
[close]

So yeah, there's my thoughts. Personally, I think a second viewing of the movie will lead me to appreciate it even more, but even having seen it only once, I would definitely say that I'm a fan. Batman's story has been told, his journey has been completed, and, like all great things, the trilogy has finally come to an end.

RISE

Requiem28

Requiem28

A little late on this but...

The Dark Knight Rises - 9.5/10

Just WOW.

BANE.  What a power house.  A lot of great twists and wonderful cameos.  Loved how they tied in with elements of the first two films.  You're never going to watch Batman Begins the same way again (still my favorite of the trilogy)

I hardly think the franchise is over though ;) 

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Requiem28 on Jul 20, 2012, 08:08:54 AM
You're never going to watch Batman Begins the same way again (still my favorite of the trilogy)

I said in my review that I didn't know which I liked the best, but thinking about it a bit more, I think I'd have to agree. Batman Begins is my favorite in the trilogy.

Still, I love and appreciate that each film felt very different from the last and tackled their own unique themes and took their own directions.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 20, 2012, 08:10:31 AM
Quote from: Requiem28 on Jul 20, 2012, 08:08:54 AM
You're never going to watch Batman Begins the same way again (still my favorite of the trilogy)

I said in my review that I didn't know which I liked the best, but thinking about it a bit more, I think I'd have to agree. Batman Begins is my favorite in the trilogy.

Still, I love and appreciate that each film felt very different from the last and tackled their own unique themes and took their own directions.

Absolutely.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I have learned to appreciate Batman Begins even more, so I am going to raise my score.

7/10

The Dark Knight

10/10

Eva

Eva

The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10

Very entertaining and storywise, the logical conclusion to the previous films. But I can't help sitting with an overall feeling that Nolans heart wasn't in this film to the same degree as the other two. Imo it has some sloppy plot turns and it could easily have been trimmed down, some characters cut completely (Matthew Modine for one). I think it would have served the film better with less spectacle and more tight pacing/editing. The underlying plot device with the bomb counting down made very little sense to me - the way it was written/executed.

Some good performances especially from the new cast members Hardy, Hathaway and JGL. There are some plottwists towards the end that might bring smiles out in the well-versed Batman fans (familiar with the graphic novels etc.), but they don't amount to anything in the film. One cameo I liked a lot and it made sense stoywise - another cameo made no sense at all.

If anything, watching this made me appreciate Begins and TDK even more as well.  :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

For the most part, I agree. I think that's the rating I would give it as well, because there were a few things that just didn't sit right with me. I did love the direction that they took it in, however, and feel that it works much better as a conclusion to the trilogy than it does as a standalone film (seeing this made me, like you said, appreciate the first two more). I did really like it, though, and I think I'm going to go see it again, if only to see if a second watch fixes a few of the problems I had. I really can't wait to own the film on Blu Ray, because overall it is one of the most solid trilogies I have seen.

I will say, however, that even as a person who isn't well versed in the Batman mythos I loved the twists at the end. And as for the cameo that didn't make sense, I assume you're talking about
Spoiler
Scarecrow. If so, I think it may have to do with the fact that both he and Bane had ties to the League of Shadows, thus making sense for Bane to appoint him to that "position".

The Ra's cameo was really cool too, though I felt it was a bit tacked on, being a hallucination and all. Still, it was great seeing Liam Neeson reprise the role.
[close]

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 20, 2012, 08:14:18 PM
I will say, however, that even as a person who isn't well versed in the Batman mythos I loved the twists at the end. And as for the cameo that didn't make sense, I assume you're talking about
Spoiler
Scarecrow. If so, I think it may have to do with the fact that both he and Bane had ties to the League of Shadows, thus making sense for Bane to appoint him to that "position".

The Ra's cameo was really cool too, though I felt it was a bit tacked on, being a hallucination and all. Still, it was great seeing Liam Neeson reprise the role.
[close]

Spoiler
The twist of revealing Miranda as Ra's daughter might make sense as according to canon/mythos (I've updated my Batman knowledge today via wiki :P ), but you could argue that it wouldn't have made any difference if it had been Bane driving the bomb truck instead of her.

So why include the twist - it comes over as service to the fans instead of service to the story. Yeah, the Scarecrow cameo made little sense but then again, I wasn't aware that the character has ties to the League. Ra's cameo was cool, even as a phantasm inside Bruces own mind projecting his inner thoughts. I'd somehow wish he hadn't died in Begins, so he could be utilized in this film and that could have been the major twist instead. Batman was robbed of a final showdown with the Joker because Heath died after the shoot - Bats/Bruce really needed a showdown with a villain that had made a huge impact on his life prior to this film. Ra's fits the bill to me... ;)

PS: not trying to put down the film or your/other posters opinions. I just think I've watched the first Nolan film since the Pacino thriller remake, where I'm left with the feeling that he's not entirely invested in the project...
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Spoiler
When I said that he had ties to the League, I didn't mean anything from the comics or anything, just that, in Batman Begins Scarecrow was working for Ra's before he got blasted with "a taste of his own medicine". :)
[close]

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Reservoir Dogs

Tarantino's first, and definitely one of his best. Not sure if this is my favourite of his, but it's up there.

True Romance

Fantastic cast, and a great script (I could certainly tell that this was penned by good ol' Quentin), but the directing felt off, and I felt that the score was horrible. Hans Zimmer can do great things, but this was not one of those times. Also needed more Gary Oldman. He stole the f**king show with his two or three scenes.

Pulp Fiction

And back to how Tarantino should be seen; written and directed by him. Been too long since I last saw this.

J. Edgar

How was this not nominated for a single Oscar? And how did it get mixed reviews? This thing was fantastic! One of the best movies from the past year.

Battle Royale

Woah. That was... brutal.

Cvalda

Cvalda

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed