Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,067,851 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Aladdin (1992)

I had not seen this in a very long time. Fun, but not as good as I remembered it.

7/10

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Men in Black 3 - 8/10

Eva

Eva

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 27, 2012, 08:09:27 PM
Quote from: DJ Pu$$yface on May 27, 2012, 08:07:49 PM
Liar Liar - 8/10
Great movie, Jim Carrey at his best, up there with Ace Ventura.
Ha, one of my favourite comedies of his right there. Hysterical. The bit with the pen is always a threat to my lungs.

Yeah, both are total guilty pleasures. I'm in tears whenever I watch Carrey at the meeting with the bigshot suits, calling the boss a d*ckhead and smacking some guys hairpiece on the wall. Just in tears....  :laugh:

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

The Land Before Time 10/10

Going to go watch Men In Black 3 later tonight. ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Alien Resurrection

This is my first time seeing it in a few years, and my first time seeing the uncut version of the film (I've only ever seen the TV edit). This film comes no where close to the first three, but then again, a lot of films don't. This is by no means a terrible movie, but its also not a great one like the past three Alien movies were. I guess I'll start off with the bad. The movie had quite a few stupid little moments in it: the breath-opening doors, the instant-alcohol cube thing, the bouncing bullet scene, and, perhaps my least favorite moment in the movie, Ripley 8 pulling off the facehugger. The fact that she was able to simply pull it off (even being the mutated clone she is) goes against everything that I found to be scary about that particular stage in the Alien life cycle. I don't even understand why it jumped on her in the first place, anyways; later in the film it was pretty obvious that the Aliens had no intention of impregnating her when they carried her into the hive. Also, keeping on the topic of Ripley 8, I could in no way bring myself to associate her with Ellen Ripley of the Alien trilogy; she was an entirely different character here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. She is, after all, not the Ellen Ripley that we all know and love, but rather the byproduct of illegal scientific engineering. Which brings me to one of my favorite scenes in the movie, the scene where Ripley 8 encounters clones 1-7. This was a very disturbing scene, creepy in all the ways that an Alien film should be. It was one of the few scenes in the film where the emotions of the characters (Ripley 7 and 8 in particular) really hit home. Now, I know a lot of you guys are going to hate me for this, but you know what? I loved the Newborn. In fact, it was quite possibly my favorite thing in Alien Resurrection. Yes, it is disturbing and ugly and, in many ways, a disgrace to the "beauty" of the Alien. Yes, it was an abomination, one that I doubt any of us were really expecting to see, let alone excited for. But that's exactly why I loved it. The makers of the film succeeded in everything that they set out to do when they created the Newborn. It is revolting, and that's why it works so well. Continuing on with the regular Aliens, many people found them to be too animal like and too fleshy. While I agree with those statements and do not find the creatures' designs to be as well executed as in the first three films, I will say that this look worked in the film, due to all of the cloning and genetic engineering and all the other cases of science run amok.

So yeah, while I did enjoy the film, Alien Resurrection does not live up to the genius of the first three films (in a lot of ways, the second and third didn't live up to Alien as well). Rather than view it as a proper sequel I think that I, like so many other members here, will find it easier to enjoy this film when viewed more as a spin-off/side-story to the first three movies. This outlook on the film is made easier in that I found it hard to relate Ripley 8 to Ellen Ripley. That being said, the film is not terrible, and worth a watch from any fan of the Alien series. While not an amazing movie, it does offer a lot of interesting concepts and ideas that are often overlooked by the fans who dismiss the film as a whole.

In short, I'd give Alien Resurrection around a 6.5 out of 10. It had a ton of potential, and executed some of it really well, but it also fell flat in a lot of places as well. I'm glad that I finally own the movie and that I had the chance to check it out again before the release of Prometheus; now lets just hope that Prometheus delivers in some of the areas where this film didn't.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Men In Black 3 8.5/10

Such an improvement over the second one, the first 30-40 minutes like some have said are a bit hokey but after that it's the good 'ol Men in Black we know and love.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

The Towering Inferno.
What a silly film, but it is so damned lovable. The effects are great, the camera work is top notch, even the acting is very good. However, the screenplay is really silly. One dimensional villain, characters who have no more than a glorified cameo and some moments that should be shocking that come off as funny. That being said, it does have a decent amount of suspense and is still one of the better 70s disaster flicks. I would stick with The Poseidon Adventure though.
Cine-Meter, 6.8/10
Mono-Meter, 7.5/10

Shasvre

Shasvre

The Girl Who Played with Fire (2009)

Lisbeth Salander, the heroine from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, is the subject of a nationwide manhunt when the becomes the prime suspect in a tripple murder case. This was my first time seeing this, but I had read the novel a few times and as such had a pretty good grasp on the story. I'm very happy with this adaption. It follows the book well enough, but still had a few surprises to offer. Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace both return as Mikael Blomqivst and Lisbeth Salander and I had no problem with that casting. The new additions to the cast did a good job as well, especially Micke Spreitz as the abnormal and unsettling Roland Niederman. It was also nice to see a cameo from Paolo Roberto, playing himself.

Some of the scenes that stood out to me was...

Spoiler
Lisbeth's interrogation of Sandström. She played the satanist angle very well.

Paolo's and Niederman's fight in the warehouse.

Lisbeth coming face to face with her father.
[close]

And being a big fan of Fincher's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I really hope he gets a shot at this one as well. While I really liked this movie, there are some things I would like to see Fincher perhaps pay some more attention.

Spoiler
Such as Niederman's insanity. In the book, he saw goblins and Leprechauns from time to time, absolutely sure they were out to get him. His confrontation with Lisbeth in the end was extra interesting, as he saw her as some sort of fanged, reptilian creature that had risen from the dead and had came to drag him to hell. In the book, he simply turned and ran for his life as she "spat fire" at him.

It would be nice if we got to know Dan and Mia a bit more. As it was now, it didn't really feel like Blomqvist had much of a personal relation with them, which he did in the book.
[close]

But as it is, I was very happy with this movie.

8/10

First Blood

First Blood

I haven't read the books but I'll take your word for it, that it was a solid adaptation. I enjoyed it, and it certainly had its moments; the interrogation scene and Lisbeth rising from the grave being the standouts for me. Didn't know that about Niederman, but it would have been cool if they showed that on screen. Hopefully that's something Fincher get's to explore. :)

Spoiler
Maybe I am missing something, or the movie chose not to explore it, but why for the longest time in the movie is she so put off by Blomqivst? I can under stand her reasoning for it, if Fincher gets a shot at doing this because she seen him with Erika Berger. But for the Swedish version between Dragon and Fire there seems to be no motivation behind it. Is it because of Berger and they just didn't elaborate enough on it?
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Paranormal Activity

Not mind-blowing like it was made out to be, but it was certainly interesting and worth the watch. And the ending made me jump...twice. I saw part of the second one a while back, but don't remember much of it. I wouldn't mind seeing 2 and 3 eventually, but I wouldn't say I'm in a rush to see them, either.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: First Blood on May 28, 2012, 11:48:29 PM
Spoiler
Maybe I am missing something, or the movie chose not to explore it, but why for the longest time in the movie is she so put off by Blomqivst? I can under stand her reasoning for it, if Fincher gets a shot at doing this because she seen him with Erika Berger. But for the Swedish version between Dragon and Fire there seems to be no motivation behind it. Is it because of Berger and they just didn't elaborate enough on it?
[close]

Spoiler
Yup, it's the same as in Fincher's version. The theatrical release of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo didn't show it, but the extended edition had the scene where she saw Mikael with Berger, I think. I haven't actually seen the extended cut myself, but that's what I've heard and that's the way it played out in the books as well. :)
[close]

I'll give The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest a go tomorrow. The box set looks great, by the way, pretty much have the same layout as Fincher's, but in black and gold instead of black and grey.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Laufey on May 28, 2012, 11:54:12 PM
Spoiler
Yup, it's the same as in Fincher's version. The theatrical release of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo didn't show it, but the extended edition had the scene where she saw Mikael with Berger, I think. I haven't actually seen the extended cut myself, but that's what I've heard and that's the way it played out in the books as well. :)
[close]

Thanks, I would have liked if they kept that scene in the movie.

Quote from: Laufey on May 28, 2012, 11:54:12 PM
I'll give The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest a go tomorrow. The box set looks great, by the way, pretty much have the same layout as Fincher's, but in black and gold instead of black and grey.

Oh, I jelly. I hope the future Blu-ray releases of Fire and Hornet's Nest are released like Fincher's. They'd all look nice together done the line. :)

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Peeping Tom

8/10

Enjoyed the crazy that this movie had to offer me.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The Searchers

A great Western. A shame I haven't seen it before, but in a way, I'm glad I waited this long. I'm not sure I'd appreciate it as much if I'd been younger. John Wayne plays Ethan Edwards (who I'm gonna pretend is my ancestor), a Confederate veteran returning to his brother's family three years after the Civil War. Shortly thereafter, a comanche band raids the farmstead, killing and kidnapping the family. Edwards, along with family friend Martin Pawley (Jeffrey Hunter), pursue the tribe in an attempt to get back the kidnapped daughters. A great film about how obsession can tear a man apart. There were a few things I didn't like about the movie, namely that there were too many irritating and mostly-pointless comic relief characters. I felt that the really detracted from the overall tone of the film. There were needless gag scenes that were added in, which again I felt undermined the serious subject matter being dealt with. However, the good far outweighed the bad, and the ending was simply beautiful. Felt emotions rising up inside me as that door swung shut.

Overall, a classic. Takes a bit to get used to the older filmmaking style, but once you do, it's a helluva ride.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 29, 2012, 04:25:37 AM
The Searchers

A great Western. A shame I haven't seen it before, but in a way, I'm glad I waited this long. I'm not sure I'd appreciate it as much if I'd been younger. John Wayne plays Ethan Edwards (who I'm gonna pretend is my ancestor), a Confederate veteran returning to his brother's family three years after the Civil War. Shortly thereafter, a comanche band raids the farmstead, killing and kidnapping the family. Edwards, along with family friend Martin Pawley (Jeffrey Hunter), pursue the tribe in an attempt to get back the kidnapped daughters. A great film about how obsession can tear a man apart. There were a few things I didn't like about the movie, namely that there were too many irritating and mostly-pointless comic relief characters. I felt that the really detracted from the overall tone of the film. There were needless gag scenes that were added in, which again I felt undermined the serious subject matter being dealt with. However, the good far outweighed the bad, and the ending was simply beautiful. Felt emotions rising up inside me as that door swung shut.

Overall, a classic. Takes a bit to get used to the older filmmaking style, but once you do, it's a helluva ride.
People say Wayne has never played a villain. I tell them to watch The Searchers. He is a bastard in that movie. And I love every moment of it. The movie that turned me on to Westerns and still a favorite.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed