Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,067,944 times)

First Blood

First Blood

God is it good. It tackles some themes I love in film. Particualry that of the loner. Paul Schrader would be proud.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

After watching the movie, I didn't see what people really meant when they said Driver had "seemingly few emotions". I mean, I could see where they were coming from, but that wasn't what I remembered. Rewatching it, I have only but to call bullshit; he had all of them, the saddest bits where when you could tell he was trying to bottle them up (the bottling seems to've worked on a couple reviewers... couldn't they break the seal on the cap?).

Spoiler
For instance, here's something I never noticed before prior to my first re-watch: in the scene where he's apologizing to Irene about Standard's death and his involvement, he's trying not to make eyecontact with her when she starts tearing up. When she slaps him, he downturns his gaze completely. When the elevator door beside them both opens and they look over, you can see a tear running down his cheek. f**king. Beautiful.
[close]

He really loses his cool after that for the rest of the movie, and it shows in just about every moment.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Spirited Away 7.5/10

Hadn't seen this movie for about 9 or so years, so this was pretty much my first viewing. It's the third Miyazaki film that I've seen (the other two being My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle) and I have to say that this was my least favourite so far (although I can't really comment on Totoro; it's been way too many years since I've seen it). I think this was overrated. Now, don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great film, and it was beautiful to watch, but it just felt very unfocused and disjointed; the plot didn't really get going until there was 40 minutes or so left, it seemed. There was no real grounding element to it. I found it hard to really care about what happened. I felt that Moving Castle did a much better job at striking the balance between the mystical and the real worlds. Now, there were parts that I loved. Kamajii the Boilermaster was a great character, and I really enjoyed all the scenes he was in. No-Face was a great and mysterious presence, and I loved the subtle expressions that his mask had. The train scene was simply beautiful. But, overall, it just didn't work for me.

Hunger 9/10

This was simply a great film. It shows the events leading up to and including the 1981 hunger strike by prisoners in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. And when I say show, that's what I mean. This movie was one of the best examples of film as a visual medium. There's an incredibly small amount of dialogue; everything is told through composition of shots and the emotions and actions of the characters. Needless to say, the performances by everyone were fantastic; Stuart Graham as the prison guard Raymond Lohan, calmly checking under his car for bombs before his daily commute; Liam McMahon and Brian Milligan as Gerry Campbell and Davey Gillan, two IRA members getting info from the outside, organizing protests. The definite standout was Michael Fassbender as Bobby Sands, the ringleader of the hunger strike; the pain and emotion of his character were completely believable. He looked like he was starving to death. Liam Cunningham as Father Moran was another standout. I mentioned that this film had very little dialogue; this is true, for the most part. However, there was one roughly 20-minute continuous shot of a conversation between Sands and Moran, and it is one of my favourite scenes from any film. I've found out that Cunningham is going to be in season 2 of Game of Thrones, which makes me very glad. He's perfect for Davos Seaworth.

The Descendants 5/10

This film is very overrated. George Clooney was fantastic in his role, and he definitely deserves his Oscar nomination, but this film did not deserve one for Best Picture. I can name many films from the past year that weren't nominated, but were much better (50/50, Drive, The Adventures of Tintin, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy...). Yes, it was emotionally powerful at points, but the film as a whole, not that good.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 06, 2012, 06:03:43 AM

The Descendants 5/10

This film is very overrated. George Clooney was fantastic in his role, and he definitely deserves his Oscar nomination, but this film did not deserve one for Best Picture. I can name many films from the past year that weren't nominated, but were much better (50/50, Drive, The Adventures of Tintin, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy...). Yes, it was emotionally powerful at points, but the film as a whole, not that good.

BOOOOOOO!!!!

second person today to tell me they didn't like it. yet couldn't really say why, what were it's weak points? if you say predictable I'll punch you through the screen  :D

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 06, 2012, 06:03:43 AM
The Descendants 5/10

Just judging by the strong points that you pointed out (...no negative points, strangely), a 5/10 seems ridiculously low.

Quote from: TheMonolith on Feb 06, 2012, 04:33:16 AM
Have heard very good things ever since last quarter, so expectations are pretty high.
On the must see list and will hopefully rent it next weekend.

don't set yourself up to be disappointed, it's good but it's highly overrated.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

lol

Pn2501

Pn2501

lol nope.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 06, 2012, 07:01:47 AM
BOOOOOOO!!!!

second person today to tell me they didn't like it. yet couldn't really say why, what were it's weak points? if you say predictable I'll punch you through the screen  :D

The entire character of Sid, for one thing. Irritated me, and didn't really make sense why he was everywhere. Didn't really serve a purpose. There was nothing really that got me interested in the plot, or made me care about what was happening. The movie also really dragged on. It was only about two hours long, but it felt closer to three.

Part of my low-ish rating probably also has to do with the fact that this was nominated for Best Picture, when I really feel it shouldn't have been.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 06, 2012, 07:09:19 AM
Just judging by the strong points that you pointed out (...no negative points, strangely), a 5/10 seems ridiculously low.

I'm trying to readjust my rating system. 10 is self-explanatory. 8-9/10 is a great film. 6-7/10 is good. 5/10 is average. Not good, not bad, just sorta there. Probably should've mentioned that in my review.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 06, 2012, 09:59:42 AM
lol

I'm not kidding, I'd give it 8/10 at best, and that's if I ignore the fact I hated the theme song, it just wasn't my cup of tea at all.
the movie itself was excellent, it's just it had a sh*tty plot.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Willow
Yes! Absolutely love this film. Genuinely great.
f**king Eborsisk.  8)

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I watch Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000) last night with a group of friends on Xbox live. We had a fun time by doing a riffed of that film.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 06, 2012, 02:43:10 PM

The entire character of Sid, for one thing. Irritated me, and didn't really make sense why he was everywhere. Didn't really serve a purpose. There was nothing really that got me interested in the plot, or made me care about what was happening. The movie also really dragged on. It was only about two hours long, but it felt closer to three.

Part of my low-ish rating probably also has to do with the fact that this was nominated for Best Picture, when I really feel it shouldn't have been.

Sids characters point is reveled towards the end I'm not sure how you missed it?
Spoiler
His father had also recently died, and although outwardly he seemed imature his talk with matt revealed he was actually very emotionally mature. In a way a counter point to Matt
[close]
The plot was fine, almost matter of factly and existed purely to support the characters, which is fitting because it's a character driven adult story, emotional with the subtlety as not to make it manipulative.

There were so many nice touches (not going to list the spoilerish ones), like the vo / internal monolouge stoping for the remainder of movie at a key point, the juxtoposition of the beautiful scenery with tragic story, paraphrased by Matt "paradise can go f**k itself". And I loved the ending.

I hope it wins, if only to stick it to you  :D

Quote from: AvatarIII on Feb 06, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

I'm not kidding, I'd give it 8/10 at best, and that's if I ignore the fact I hated the theme song, it just wasn't my cup of tea at all.
the movie itself was excellent, it's just it had a sh*tty plot.

My mind is full of f**k!

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Pn2501 on Feb 06, 2012, 06:35:11 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 06, 2012, 02:43:10 PM

Sids characters point is reveled towards the end I'm not sure how you missed it?
Spoiler
His father had also recently died, and although outwardly he seemed imature his talk with matt revealed he was actually very emotionally mature. In a way a counter point to Matt
[close]
The plot was fine, almost matter of factly and existed purely to support the characters, which is fitting because it's a character driven adult story, emotional with the subtlety as not to make it manipulative.

There were so many nice touches (not going to list the spoilerish ones), like the vo / internal monolouge stoping for the remainder of movie at a key point, the juxtoposition of the beautiful scenery with tragic story, paraphrased by Matt "paradise can go f**k itself". And I loved the ending.

I hope it wins, if only to stick it to you  :D

There were good points, and Sid did have some purpose, although he still felt very shoehorned in. I just felt that, overall, it was a very average film with some great performances.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 06, 2012, 05:19:10 AM
After watching the movie, I didn't see what people really meant when they said Driver had "seemingly few emotions". I mean, I could see where they were coming from, but that wasn't what I remembered. Rewatching it, I have only but to call bullshit; he had all of them, the saddest bits where when you could tell he was trying to bottle them up (the bottling seems to've worked on a couple reviewers... couldn't they break the seal on the cap?).

Spoiler
For instance, here's something I never noticed before prior to my first re-watch: in the scene where he's apologizing to Irene about Standard's death and his involvement, he's trying not to make eyecontact with her when she starts tearing up. When she slaps him, he downturns his gaze completely. When the elevator door beside them both opens and they look over, you can see a tear running down his cheek. f**king. Beautiful.
[close]

He really loses his cool after that for the rest of the movie, and it shows in just about every moment.

One of scenes I love is right after he kills the guy in the elevator. Irene is backing away, and when Driver turns, his face is just filled with rage and animosity – almost like it was building up inside of him and he just let it loose on the guy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed