Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,067,909 times)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

8 1/2.

Hypnotic.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on May 14, 2011, 09:14:51 PM
8 1/2.

Hypnotic.
Yay for Fellini

Your Highness.

Underwhelming I expected more from D.G.G and crew.

LOTR two towers
Can't believe it was 9 years ago such a great film.

severen76

severen76

Fast Five

f**k yes.

Now that was a fun ride.  I don't get why people are moaning that there isn't a race until like an hour into the film, it's a good thing they're changing up the formula ever so slightly. Something tells me the people moaning about the lack of races are the same people that'd moan if it was just racing all the way through.

The Rock is absolutely HUGE. In prison Vin Diesel would be his bitch.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Jurassic Park III 7/10

Even though it's the worst in the series, it's still better than most crap released in theatres and infinitely better than any direct to dvd/tv bullshit involving dinosaurs.

Joyfully Jumping Jessica

Bridesmaids

...quite a bit funnier than I had expected. But then again, it has Kristen Wiig, and I love her, so I should have seen me liking it more than I had initially though coming. Glad it wasn't a chick flick.  :D

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: severen76 on May 14, 2011, 11:18:33 PM
The Rock is absolutely HUGE. In prison Vin Diesel would be his bitch.

:laugh:

The way you worded that...

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Brick 9/10

A great film. I love how it used the same formula as a classic film-noir, but added the high school twist to it (assistant vice-principals instead of cops, kingpin pulling up in a van instead of a limo, etc.). The story was told extremely well. I felt it moved a bit too fast at the start, but by the end, it was pitch-perfect. The performances were great, especially from Joseph Gordon-Levitt. All-in-all, an extremely entertaining and engrossing film, and a must see for any fan of film-noir.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 15, 2011, 03:39:34 AM
Brick 9/10

A great film. I love how it used the same formula as a classic film-noir, but added the high school twist to it (assistant vice-principals instead of cops, kingpin pulling up in a van instead of a limo, etc.). The story was told extremely well. I felt it moved a bit too fast at the start, but by the end, it was pitch-perfect. The performances were great, especially from Joseph Gordon-Levitt. All-in-all, an extremely entertaining and engrossing film, and a must see for any fan of film-noir.
I knew you'd love it!

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Never doubted it.

Really makes me wanna watch more film-noir. Perhaps Chinatown sometime next week.

Daken

Daken

Creature - 1984 -
Breeders - 1986 -

• Tron Legacy - 10/10 -
  • Little Fockers - 4.5/10

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Slaughterhouse-5 9.5/10

This was an amazing film. Unique almost beyond belief. I can honestly say I have never seen anything that is quite like it. It is, quite simply, the story of a man. It is how it is told, however, that is so goddamn interesting. It follows Billy Pilgrim, a man who has become 'unstuck' in time. He bounces around through his life, with no control over when and what he experiences next. Because of this, we see follow him from his childhood, all the way to the moment he dies, but completely out of order, with different moments of his life spliced together. The effect is magnificent. The narrative and cinematic harmonies that this storytelling creates are simply wonderful to behold. Everything from his experiences as a POW in WWII, to his marriage and family, and the strange time he spent on the planet Trafalmadore, are all explored. A truly great film, and another one that I highly recommend.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Bad Taste (1987)

Mr 'Lord of the Rings' Jackson directs and stars in this gloriously tacky yet extremely gory sci-fi spoof cum comedy as one of a bunch of rather ugly fat aliens in human disguise trying to capture humans for their fast food chain...yes.

Sounds like a sketch from the mind of Terry Gilliam and Monty Python and it actually plays like it too to be honest, its very wacky and over the top with really gut wrenching deaths and mutilations on show but they are so extreme they become comical. As for production, what production? lol! talk about minimal!! the whole film is hand held cam with the film looking like a home movie made by your uncle at Christmas when he's had too much to drink bahahahaha!
Everything is done on the mega cheap and clearly allot of help from friends who got nothing for their work...for the love of their project for sure. The only thing that does look quite good are the rather unnerving alien masks, pretty fake looking of course yet somehow eerie, abit like something from 'Naked Lunch' maybe, the films cover always had a kind of 'video nasty' feel to it, or maybe that's just me.

The end of the film is a nonstop gun fest with death all around and major claret on show hehe good use of weapons too by the looks of things, some definite training would of been required there I reckon unless they knew how to handle weaponry already. Totally bizarre plot mixed with a cheap as chips film that almost puts you off watching at first as its so basic yet a good example of guerrilla type filming with very little to work with.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Tremors 4: The Legend Begins - This was great, easily my second favorite in the Tremors series. Michael Gross did an excellent job playing a totally different character than Burt. Some really nice character development for Hiram, who really was a coward and a dick at the beginning. The other actors did a good job as well, I especially liked Juan and the Chang family. Christine didn't really matter much to me, but I guess that's where the Gummer family got their love for redheaded and fierce women. It was also nice seeing only the Graboids again, they made them feel like a lesser treath in the other sequels.

My rating: 8.5/10

Escape from New York - A decent movie in my opinion. Kurt Russell is of course awesome as Snake. I knew there was something familiar about the guy that played Hauk, so I looked him up. Holy shit, it's Angel Eyes! The ending seemed a bit weird though. Why would Snake destroy the tape when it could lead to peace? And why the hell couldn't the US goverment just record a new tape or send someone over with the information?

My rating: 7.5/10

Nancy Drew - This was hilarious to see after having seen Emma Roberts in Scream 4. Quite the opposite characters really. It's a cute little movie, very child friendly and it has a certain charm to it.

My rating: 7.5/10

severen76

severen76

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 15, 2011, 03:43:37 AM
Really makes me wanna watch more film-noir. Perhaps Chinatown sometime next week.

Now that's a brilliant film.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: Laufey on May 15, 2011, 10:41:55 AM
The ending seemed a bit weird though. Why would Snake destroy the tape when it could lead to peace? And why the hell couldn't the US goverment just record a new tape or send someone over with the information?

Spoiler
For one reason. He wanted to humilate the governent because he felt they screwed him, which they kinda did. He was especially angry at the president for his lack of compassion for those who died saving him. Odd considering Snake should be a cold sunuvabitch.
As for not recording a second tape, that could have been a fail safe to prevent it from falling into someone elses hands. They still would have had the data recorded on it. The main reason the tape had to be intact was for the meeting presentation. They would have had to wait until the next meeting to present it again, and the sooner the war ends, the better. Snake in the end caused a delay, but he got his wish. He made the president appear like a fool.
[close]

Boondock Saints II
I am not a huge fan of the original film or this one for that matter, but it was really fun. The saints return to Boston to uncover the reason they were framed for the murder of a priest. They gain a new member and begin to take down members of the local criminal organizations as they find the murder was linked to their father's past.
Our two leads are pretty likable despite their cold blooded actions and their new member is a nice compliment to their partner in the original film. I especially like the scene where he ties up a janitor to force him to assist in thinking up a one liner to cap the upcoming mob slaughter. Troy Duffy is a decent filmmaker and he often takes a page from Tarantino (mostly in dialogue and shooting the film out of sequence) Even a watered down Tarantino is still nice enough.
This is a decent single serving film and brings back what struck me about the original. I have mild anticipation for the inevitable third installment. And I wonder why these have never been given wide release.
Cine-Meter, 6.7/10
Mono-Meter, 7.3/10

Red Dawn
80s cheese at its cheesiest. Jed (Patrick Swayze) saves is brother Matt (Charlie Sheen) and classmates Robert (C Thomas Howell) and others from an attack on their school by a suprise invasion from Russia. After helping two young women (Lea Thompsn and Jennifer Grey) escape from their home and their parents are shot in public, the teens become partisans against the invading army. They call themselves the Wolverines. After being aided by a downed pilot (Powers Boothe), their numbers begin to dwindle.
Director John Milius created one of the mot infamous cult classics of all time with this little number. For its low budget, the set pieces are suprisingly good. This film suffers from a rare syndrome where it actually gets better as it progresses. The start is cheesy and over the top and by the end it is...slightly less cheesy and over the top.
This film has a ot going for it. The music by Basil Poledouris is really good if you give it a listen. The cast of rising stars are a joy. The cinematography is astounding especially in two key sequences (the tank and helicopter attack scenes). In truth, the only things it has going against it are the cheesy script and the outlandish premise. The tone of the film is appropriatly dark but at times it comes off as way too serious as if it is being preachy.
Some accuse this film of being a pro-war overly patriotic mess. It is actually very anti war once it gets rolling. The protagonists repeatedly say they want to stop, go home, and that they are just tired, and even wonder if what they are doing is the right thing.
There are some amazingly silly moments in the film such as when Swayze and Sheen talk to Stanton in a politial prison camp and the initial blitz by the main characters. These scenes don't help at all and are the main things people remember about this movie.
All in all, this is a very average movie, but if you are in the right mindset, it is acually a pretty darn good viewing. The one film I should not like, and yet it won't to let me go. I would like this film even if I was Russian. Swear by it. My guilty pleasure.
Cine-Meter, 6.7/10
Mono-Meter, 10/10

Die Hard 2
John McClane (Bruce Willis) is waiting for his wife Holly (Bonnie Bedelia) at Dulles Airport on Christmas eve. A group of deranged US soldiers lead by Stewart (William Saddler) take over the airport and demand the release of a political prisoner set to land. Only good ol McClane can blow them sky high.
This movie is very out there and silly. All the realism of the first film goes out the window for one of the most implausible film plots in recent memory (and yes, i consider 20 years recent) but the film proves to be one hell of a great ride. The action set pieces are amazing such as the fight in the luggage loading dock, the skyway shootout, the snowmobile chase and the final fight on the wing of a 747. The airport really was used to its full potential in this. McClane is great, coming within hairs of breaking the fourth wall by saying he cannot understand how this is happening to him again.
I do have several complaints. The villains in this film really are out there. Evil to ludicrous amounts and the plot really is complex and just plain silly. Had this plot been toned down and the villains been made more believable and somehwat sympathetic like in the first film, this would have been a better film.
Renny Harlin still does a good film. One of the biggest smashes of the 90s and a very fun ride that shows how awesome our reluctant hero can be. Cramed full of great lines and superb action.
Cine-Meter, 7.5/10
Mono-Meter, 8.5/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed