Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,067,948 times)

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

I still can't see it. I never look, I'm too sucked into the story at that point. I loved noticing the speargun on the Narcissus, still sticking out of the door, and picking up on the way Vasquez was framed out of focus in certain tableau. Dat bandana.

Just out of curiosity, do you prefer the theatrical cut or the special edition?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I personally like both, but have an affection for the Theatrical cut. The Director's cut's (::) :D) changes were a hit-and-miss affair. Great scenes like Derelict II: The return, a lovely lovecraftian scene (chillin') and the final fate of Ripley's daughter (which also sets up more for what happens later with Newt, 'I'll never leave you Newt, it's a promise'), but then wastes itself with the oh, motion tracker motion tracker what's that gonna be? Tensiontensiontensiontension... hamster of doom. No. We already had the false scare before with Newt so that felt a bit pointless (and the fact I have a personal hatred for hamsters doesn't help :D, J-k). And the sentry guns scene, which I felt was really... pointless, again? It made the Aliens, IMHO, a bit dumb. It used a pair of stock footage scenes too. They really added nothing to the film.
Didn't mind the other changes. Liked the 'but isn't that how babies come?' and the 'bees' moments. For the rest, I prefer the Theatrical cut.
I would like a fan-cut with only certain scenes of the Director's cut.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 12, 2011, 03:10:21 PM
Quote from: scarhunter92 on Feb 12, 2011, 10:55:49 AM
True Grit - 8.5/10 - Aside from the rushed final act, everything's excellent.
Which one?

Remake.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 12, 2011, 07:49:32 PM
I personally like both, but have an affection for the Theatrical cut. The Director's cut's (::) :D) changes were a hit-and-miss affair. Great scenes like Derelict II: The return, a lovely lovecraftian scene (chillin') and the final fate of Ripley's daughter (which also sets up more for what happens later with Newt, 'I'll never leave you Newt, it's a promise'), but then wastes itself with the oh, motion tracker motion tracker what's that gonna be? Tensiontensiontensiontension... hamster of doom. No. We already had the false scare before with Newt so that felt a bit pointless (and the fact I have a personal hatred for hamsters doesn't help :D, J-k). And the sentry guns scene, which I felt was really... pointless, again? It made the Aliens, IMHO, a bit dumb. It used a pair of stock footage scenes too. They really added nothing to the film.
Didn't mind the other changes. Liked the 'but isn't that how babies come?' and the 'bees' moments. For the rest, I prefer the Theatrical cut.
I would like a fan-cut with only certain scenes of the Director's cut.

I don't know, maybe it was because I saw the special edition first, but the theatrical cut feels very incomplete to me. Scenes like Ripley learning about her daughter, Hudson bragging about nukes and knives, Ripley hesitating before heading into the complex for the first time, and the final moment she shares with Hicks...those scenes are wonderful, and if you take them out the movie doesn't work for me quite the same way.

I've also never understood the issue with the sentry gun scene. Army ants will sacrifice a thousand of their comrades to cross a river; doesn't make them any less holy-mother-f**king-shit-I'm-going-to-die-a-long-and-indescribably-terrible-death horrifying when they finally get to you. Shoot one and the rest of the hive will be indifferent - that doesn't mean they're all stupid bugs, it means that together they are a horrendously sophisticated biological machine gun that will never, ever stop, ever, until they've turned their immediate surroundings into an extraterrestial Hieronymus Bosch painting. They're not as ethereal and Lovecraftian as the first Alien because they never had the oppurtunity to be. Different story, different execution, still scared the bejeezus out of me.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

My grip with that scene is that it further reinforced that you killed one Alien, the movie didn't care. In the first film, defeating the single Alien was Ripley's achievement, her triumph over the horror she has passed. This all demonstrated what a single Alien could do, and what it could inspire with its presence. It was terrifying. It was... damn smart. Oh, you thought the Alien was so dumb that he remained on the ship! But no, here he comes back in the Narcissus, going peekaboo on Ripley, because it knew shit was going down.
In Aliens, the theatrical cut, this concept is... a bit diluted and toned down, as a lot of Aliens are either killed or made back away with the pulse rifles. They still can surprise you with their intelligence, they cut the power of a specific section of Hadley's Hope, and one managed to take down the single chance the Marines had to go away from LV-426. No Monster is invulnerable, yeah, the Mi-Go in The Whisperer in the Darkness are terrifying even with the fact you can kill them with a shotgun. Because they are unknown. And smart. :o I didn't mind the changes applied because the film, literally, sucks you in. But in the director's cut of Aliens, the feel, the terror, is completely chopped down with the sentry guns scene, and it all comes a bit obvious. It felt pointless. :-\ Aliens, single Aliens, are smarter than that. As said, too, it uses repeated stock footage. I kind of dispreciate when films do that - makes them look like B-movies, which Aliens is not (it is not a B-movie in the soul, that's what I mean).

Oh and regarding your 'ants' comparison - but those things ain't ants, man. ;P

STAR WARS

not Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, i'm talking Theatrical cut Baby!! watching all the Theatrical Cuts and then when the blu rays come out i'll watch all of the movies that are supplied in that  particular set.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 12, 2011, 08:29:07 PM
Oh and regarding your 'ants' comparison - but those things ain't ants, man. ;P
Sure thing. But the comparison holds true, as long as you keep scale in mind. They're closer to ants than any other existing species we know of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL3sHuK3iGE#ws
Busy little creatures.

As for the first Alien, I never interpreted it as being so actively intelligent as fans seem to think. Obviously it was extremely proficient at dispatching the crew, but I don't believe it knew that the Nostromo was about to blow. How could it? Was it listening to the intercom or something? More likely all the steam made it drowsy and it wanted to have a siesta after such a busy day - Dallas' pad seemed like a nice place to crash.

The Alien is an instinctive creature from the Id, not Mentok the Mindtaker. We can't look at them the way we might look at an opposing human army - human beings need to sleep and eat and take a shit every once and a while. Human beings aren't capable of total war - the Aliens are. Absolute loyalty to the reproductive success of their species. They don't care about themselves as individuals, even though one individual can slaughter a half-dozen well-educated, well-equipped human beings in the space of a few hours - they might not even have self-awareness. We'll never know. That's why we call them Aliens. The second movie contradicted nothing, except maybe the egg-morphing stuff.

All the same, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Spaceballs
A great sci-fi parody from the master Mel Brooks.
8.5/10

Stand by Me
This was the movie that summed up the relationship I had with my best friends.
Never could figure out if I was Gordie or Vern. A funny tear jerker of a movie by Rob Reiner and certainly among the best Stephen King films. A beautiful expression of childhood.
10/10

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: TheMonolith on Feb 12, 2011, 09:17:40 PM
Stand by Me
This was the movie that summed up the relationship I had with my best friends.
Never could figure out if I was Gordie or Vern. A funny tear jerker of a movie by Rob Reiner and certainly among the best Stephen King films. A beautiful expression of childhood.
10/10

Such a beautiful movie and a great coming of age story.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Total Recall - I had never seen it before and only vaguely knew about the story, so I was plesantly surprised by this. Arnold delivered a cheesy performance as usual and I enjoyed every second of it. The movie was unusually gory for a Arnold movie, but I didn't mind. The story was okay, nothing special. Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside were fun to watch as well. Overall a cheesy and fun action movie, which came out better than I had expected it to. :)

First Blood

First Blood

Daredevil Director's Cut

While an improvement over the theatrical cut, the film still tends to fall short. What I did like about it though is the way Mark Steven Johnson tapped into the Elektra/Bullseye/Kingpin storyline from the comics. Elektra's death in the film is almost page for page from the comics. The Director's Cut also taps more into Matt's religious side being; a Catholic...almost hints and bits from Miller's Born Again storyline.

Where the film falls short is; no explanation of how he got his suit, or gadgets and the ridiculous fight in the playground.

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 12, 2011, 10:16:25 PM
Total Recall - I had never seen it before and only vaguely knew about the story, so I was plesantly surprised by this. Arnold delivered a cheesy performance as usual and I enjoyed every second of it. The movie was unusually gory for a Arnold movie, but I didn't mind. The story was okay, nothing special. Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside were fun to watch as well. Overall a cheesy and fun action movie, which came out better than I had expected it to. :)

took you long enough to watch, but that's one of my favourite movies of all time, good to know you like it

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

The Lovely Bones

7.5/10

I didn't like it as I hoped I would, but it was still good to watch.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Feb 12, 2011, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 12, 2011, 03:10:21 PM
Quote from: scarhunter92 on Feb 12, 2011, 10:55:49 AM
True Grit - 8.5/10 - Aside from the rushed final act, everything's excellent.
Which one?

Remake.

Hmm, I didn't find the ending to be rushed.

And today I watched the first one for the first time. Really liked it, but I think I preferred the new one. I should be seeing the sequel soon.

Taxemic

Taxemic

Quote from: AvatarIII on Feb 12, 2011, 10:26:43 PM
Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 12, 2011, 10:16:25 PM

took you long enough to watch, but that's one of my favourite movies of all time, good to know you like it

Hope you enjoyed the ride...HA HA!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed