Author
In The News (Read 1,424,640 times)

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

I wanna sit on Satan's lap!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Jan 07, 2014, 10:59:02 PM
Quote[Alice, I wasn't referring to you. The people who are usually bothered the most by this sort of thing are the ones who go home and cry about the world not revolving around them and their sensitivities.

Is that like crying about the world being on a downward spiral, but churches that promote individualism are no biggy?

What?

Eva

Eva

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 08, 2014, 12:31:55 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 07, 2014, 10:59:02 PM
Quote[Alice, I wasn't referring to you. The people who are usually bothered the most by this sort of thing are the ones who go home and cry about the world not revolving around them and their sensitivities.

Is that like crying about the world being on a downward spiral, but churches that promote individualism are no biggy?

What?

I think SM points out the absurdity of 'post-modern satanists' addressing some core problems of society today (partly caused by people putting their individualistic needs above anything else), while preaching to a belief system that considers individualism, self realization and the pursuit of personal pleasure as virtues.

That's my take on his words anyway...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I think it was directed at me since I said a page or two back that humanity is on a downward spiral, after reading this story.

Either way, I think he's delusional if he's going to claim that I was 'crying about it'. All I did was express my disappointment with the events of the story and the impression seems to me that this sort of thing happens more often than not. I admit I can't actually prove that with hard evidence but it's just my impression.

As for the Church of Satan, hey, I don't see the problem with promoting individuality if another Church can preach its own philosophy. Again, freedoms of religion and expression.

Eva

Eva

Sure, that could have been his intention instead. Didn't follow that debate and hadn't read that story, so, yeah...

The paradox doesn't lie in them promoting a certain philosophy. The paradox lies in them promoting a philosophy (or belief system, if you will) that seems completely at odds with itself when put under scrutiny.

AliceApocalypse hit the nail right on the head, suggesting how a lot of these self proclaimed satanists probably have little idea what they're actually preaching or worshiping. They just liked the covers on whatever metal bands releases and suddenly, they've embraced a lifestyle because it looks and feels cool more than anything else.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Key word being probably. We don't know who these folks are and since I'm guessing most of us don't have a full understanding of Satanism, we are not in a position to say they do or don't know what they're doing.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Eva on Jan 08, 2014, 03:48:39 PM
Sure, that could have been his intention instead. Didn't follow that debate and hadn't read that story, so, yeah...

The paradox doesn't lie in them promoting a certain philosophy. The paradox lies in them promoting a philosophy (or belief system, if you will) that seems completely at odds with itself when put under scrutiny.

AliceApocalypse hit the nail right on the head, suggesting how a lot of these self proclaimed satanists probably have little idea what they're actually preaching or worshiping. They just liked the covers on whatever metal bands releases and suddenly, they've embraced a lifestyle because it looks and feels cool more than anything else.

QuoteI think SM points out the absurdity of 'post-modern satanists' addressing some core problems of society today (partly caused by people putting their individualistic needs above anything else), while preaching to a belief system that considers individualism, self realization and the pursuit of personal pleasure as virtues.

Sounds like metal head Ayn Rand.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 08, 2014, 09:12:21 PM

No need to drag Satanists down to Ayn Rands level.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

You're pretty damn close with that one, actually. As someone heavily involved in the Black Metal and Death Metal music scenes, I know a lot of people who describe themselves as Satanists; ranging from edgy teens who think the Necronomicon is a real thing, through to Orthodox religious Satanists who follow the Christian mythos avidly but praise the devil rather than Yahweh, to the LaVeyan Satanists who are basically just conservatives/elitists who openly enjoy sex and drugs.

Aspie

Aspie

Build all the statues, or tear all the other existing religious ones down Colorado. There's nothing directly profane or explicit on the statue. Legally, you can't discriminate when it comes to religious symbolism (In America, that is). No matter how much bureaucratic red tape you roll out.

SM

SM

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Jan 08, 2014, 09:33:52 PM

You're pretty damn close with that one, actually. As someone heavily involved in the Black Metal and Death Metal music scenes, I know a lot of people who describe themselves as Satanists; ranging from edgy teens who think the Necronomicon is a real thing, through to Orthodox religious Satanists who follow the Christian mythos avidly but praise the devil rather than Yahweh, to the LaVeyan Satanists who are basically just conservatives/elitists who openly enjoy sex and drugs.

Wait - the Necronomicon isn't real??  Next you'll be telling me Krampus isn't real either!!

Xhan

Xhan

Then where did the sausage shaped bruises come from, one wonders.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Banana-eating burglar sought by police in Newington

http://www.wfsb.com/story/24393759/gas-station-robbers

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2014, 10:25:34 PM
Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Jan 08, 2014, 09:33:52 PM

Wait - the Necronomicon isn't real??  Next you'll be telling me Krampus isn't real either!!

I'd laugh, if it weren't for the number of dumb f**ks who have tried to have arguments with me on the topic. Every time I think about those people, I feel myself getting stupider by association.

Eva

Eva

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed