Thing/Alien crossover

Started by DoomRulz, Jan 31, 2012, 03:03:11 PM

Author
Thing/Alien crossover (Read 53,841 times)

KingAngel ofthe Outergulf

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 31, 2012, 08:15:38 PM
Not really, no. the Thing is a shape-shifter by nature, a facehugger would have about as much luck as trying to impregnate the T-1000.

It could under two circumstances.

1) The Thing lets itself be impregnated...  Why matters not.

2) It is possible that if an Oswoc Drone, or any other Alien adapted to use mutagenic acids, used mutagenic acid on the thing that the tumors forming on it would prevent shape shifting.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 31, 2012, 09:47:05 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that - the Thing adapts and imitates, I think if it tried to assimilate an Alien by duplicating its exoskeleton (which is immune to the Alien's acid) then the acid would become a non-issue.

Aliens don't have exoskeletons, they have very unique skin that affords many unnatural defenses.  Aliens Quadrilogy discs show they have an endoskeleton, other sources that show that they have skin and or a endoskeletion are as follows.  Alien, Alien 3, AvP, AvP:R, Predator 2, Aliens: Rogue, Aliens: Genocide.

Anyway after watching The Thing again, I disagree that it can imitate Alien flesh and assimilate at the same time.  After the Doctor in the The Thing examined the creature imitating the dog he said that IT had no cells.  If it has no cells it is not imitating anything.

Also the Xenomorph is an inorganic creature its biology is H2So4 / HF [H20]  and it is appears to be very similar to a Silicon-Carbon based life forms and is stated that its morphology is heavily based off Silicon polymers.

As we know from watching the preq of The Thing, it can not assimilate inorganic material.

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Feb 01, 2012, 12:37:19 AM
The exoskeleton is

Xenomorphs do not have exoskeletons unless maybe they come from something that does.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Aliens have a mesoskeleton, it's a combination of an exo and endoskeleton. The Weyland-Yutani Archive on the AvP Requiem blu-ray go into a bit more detail on it.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 01, 2012, 08:21:49 AM
Aliens have a mesoskeleton, it's a combination of an exo and endoskeleton. The Weyland-Yutani Archive on the AvP Requiem blu-ray go into a bit more detail on it.

That bread may have had something like that even then it show in the movie an alien being skinned.  Exoskeletions do not bend like its skin did in that movie.  Nor do they peal off like they did when the Queen Predalien was molting.

Also in Aliens: Once in a lifetime, it is stated that Aliens can adapt to deal with whatever problems they are having,  Bio-imperatives.  It could get worse for the Thing, the Alien could very well adapt and instead of acid have enzymes that not only stop assimilation, but then infect the Thing causing it to not be able to regenerate and even not to be able shape-change.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: marrerom on Feb 01, 2012, 06:37:00 AM
I don't see how the Thing could copy an Alien... if the Thing can't assimilate clothes, which is just organic compounds like wool and cloth, why would it somehow be able to copy polarized silicon? it wouldn't. Everything we've seen points to it needing a functional cell to assimilate and copy. Its best bet would be to tear through the Alien's outer shell to get to its innards but since the alien has acid blood that wouldn't work.

the Alien is truly immune. That's not to say that the Thing wouldn't most likely win in a fight though. i mean, its not like the Alien could just head bite it and walk away.

Yep, plus the thing is mostly immune to physical damage as it can alter its form, only fire seems to do the trick and acid would have a similar affect.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteThat bread may have had something like that even then it show in the movie an alien being skinned.  Exoskeletions do not bend like its skin did in that movie.  Nor do they peal off like they did when the Queen Predalien was molting.
No, the Alien actually does have an exoskeleton at the least, even if it's covered by some kind of thin skin or something like that.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Feb 01, 2012, 12:36:33 PM
Yep, plus the thing is mostly immune to physical damage as it can alter its form, only fire seems to do the trick and acid would have a similar affect.

And that would have to be A LOT of acid. A vat. A f**king splash tank.

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Feb 01, 2012, 08:28:22 AM
That bread may have had something like that even then it show in the movie an alien being skinned.  Exoskeletions do not bend like its skin did in that movie.  Nor do they peal off like they did when the Queen Predalien was molting.

Also in Aliens: Once in a lifetime, it is stated that Aliens can adapt to deal with whatever problems they are having,  Bio-imperatives.  It could get worse for the Thing, the Alien could very well adapt and instead of acid have enzymes that not only stop assimilation, but then infect the Thing causing it to not be able to regenerate and even not to be able shape-change.

Invoking anything from AVP or AVPR isn't going to help the Alien as a species or a franchise. As far as the Alien magically changing it's blood to 'anti-shapeshifting potion' is beyond moronic and belongs in the fan fiction archives of The Ghoul personal collection.

Quote from: KingAngel ofthe Outergulf on Feb 01, 2012, 07:46:01 AM
The Thing lets itself be impregnated...  Why matters not.

Now this is interesting! The Thing 'could' allow the facehugger to impregnate it's perfectly replicated human without fear of physical damage. (Why it would allow this, I don't know, but bear with me!) The fun part would be ... what would be happening inside. Lots of speculation obviously. A decent writer could argue that the embryos 'hijacking' of the hosts DNA could result in a xeno with some shape shifting capabilities. However that would have to be one talented writer to make us forget the xeno only adopts basic structural likeness. Not complete biological makeups (such as the Thing.)

Even more likely, the embryo would just be assimilated the second the 'Alien proteins' were administered.

Nope. Sorry. Even with that interesting glimmer of hope from a xeno borrowing 'enough' of The Things power from an embryo DNA heist ... it's still woefully ignorant to believe the xeno strain could be anything more than 'the next assimilation' in the abyssal cosmic eye of The Thing.

Scout

Scout

I'd image it would be like chucking two molten rocks together, a completely new creature would be created as both strands of DNA try to assimilate each other.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Scout on Feb 01, 2012, 05:06:24 PM
I'd image it would be like chucking two molten rocks together, a completely new creature would be created as both strands of DNA try to assimilate each other.

The Alien doesn't assimilate anything at any point in it's life cycle. It builds it's own structure (from infancy) based on it's hosts DNA. This is a long process and the alien zygote is profoundly vulnerable during this stage.

The Thing does assimilate all living tissue on contact. Has the ability to bring forth any shape (and there for natural powers) of any lifeforms previously assimilated. Countless lifeforms. A virtual army of options. It's a f**king Swiss Army Organism.

As cool as the Alien is, it would end up being another tool in The Things bag of tricks. A bottle opener with blood that could shift into acidic properties.

It's really not fair. The only way to fight The Thing is exactly how they did in the films. Isolated genocide powered by grievous paranoia. No one technically survived either film. Money on some bits of the Thing being re-frozen at both the American and Norwegian camps.

chupacabras acheronsis

the only thing capable of effectively annihilating the thing would be a swarm of nanobots. a grey blob.

i don't think they can just assimilate their way in, the alien was thick enough to survive a direct jet of plasma and to swim in molten lead, so i doubt their hide is made of anything "alive". it would take a lot of time at least. they also seem to be unaffected by radiation either which might be a weakness of the thing considering the effects it has on a celular level.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Feb 01, 2012, 05:43:45 PM
the only thing capable of effectively annihilating the thing would be a swarm of nanobots. a grey blob.

It would at least then be more of a fair fight. Then we'd have to worry about the nanobots. Oh Micheal Crichton. You  know how no make me lose sleep at night.  ;D

i don't think they can just assimilate their way in, the alien was thick enough to survive a direct jet of plasma and to swim in molten lead, so i doubt their hide is made of anything "alive". it would take a lot of time at least. they also seem to be unaffected by radiation either which might be a weakness of the thing considering the effects it has on a celular level.

I'm wary of invoking that "Jason moment" to explain something in a logical manner. It was a jump scare moment that completely undermined the entire plot of the film up until that point by having the Alien, who's sole purpose was to protect the Queen bearing Ripley, suddenly and inexplicably turn ferociously against and try to annihilate her.

To be fair I'm willing to ignore the Bull in the China Shop character departure of The Thing in the reboot, with it running through walls like the Kool-Aid man infected with the T-Virus. 

Besides. The Thing assimilation is not akin to the destructive force of heat. It's a completely different process involving cellular manipulation, copying, absorbing. Just because something is extremely hard tactily speaking doesn't make it more difficult to copy. In terms of radiation, I'm drawing a blank on how it came into play in an alien film. I assume radiation wouldn't effect The Thing seriously except in incendiary doses. Any 'abnormal' mutations to it' caused by radiation to the biomass wouldn't impair it's base system functions before it shed the offending parts and generated new ones.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Or these:

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 01, 2012, 06:12:58 PM
It would at least then be more of a fair fight. Then we'd have to worry about the nanobots. Oh Micheal Crichton.
+1 for awesome reference!

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 01, 2012, 08:43:26 PM
Or these:

A heavily armored flying dragon with human intelligence would stand a chance to win a battle or two, or three! But I can't see them winning the war. If Matthew "Techno Viking" McConaughey can cliff dive into a Dragon's mouth with a battle axe and Peter MacNicol can rodeo with one ... I'm sure The Thing could take some form a little more proficient at sneak attacking than either of those two!

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 01, 2012, 08:43:26 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 01, 2012, 06:12:58 PM
It would at least then be more of a fair fight. Then we'd have to worry about the nanobots. Oh Micheal Crichton.
+1 for awesome reference!

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 01, 2012, 04:20:28 PM
QuoteThat bread may have had something like that even then it show in the movie an alien being skinned.  Exoskeletions do not bend like its skin did in that movie.  Nor do they peal off like they did when the Queen Predalien was molting.
No, the Alien actually does have an exoskeleton at the least, even if it's covered by some kind of thin skin or something like that.

If it has skin on top to the exoskeleton, it is not a exoskeleton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exoskeleton#Diversity

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 01, 2012, 09:17:42 PM
A heavily armored flying dragon with human intelligence would stand a chance to win a battle or two, or three! But I can't see them winning the war. If Matthew "Techno Viking" McConaughey can cliff dive into a Dragon's mouth with a battle axe and Peter MacNicol can rodeo with one ... I'm sure The Thing could take some form a little more proficient at sneak attacking than either of those two!
Well yeah, but would the Thing have a shield (which saved MacNicol's ass plenty of times) and all the advantages those characters had?

Another contender:

(Most boring battle ever! Unless we had a microscope...)

And also...

;D ;D

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 01, 2012, 09:38:18 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 01, 2012, 09:17:42 PM
Well yeah, but would the Thing have a shield (which saved MacNicol's ass plenty of times) and all the advantages those characters had?
Absolutely! You have to take into consideration the collected intelligence of The Thing on top of it's already 'top of the food chain' credentials. The Thing can instantly master whatever skills it's last victim possessed and expand upon them. Computer programming, fencing, macrame, even building space faring vehicles out of helicopter and snow cat parts! I'm sure it could figure out fire resistant shield. Especially in a world/realm of Dragons where such scales and crafts would be readily available.

Another contender:

(Most boring battle ever! Unless we had a microscope...)

Yeah, it's almost the same monster. Just a different environment. We should exclude creature contenders who owe their existence to The Thing.  ;)

And also...
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/OmegaZilla95/General%20Movie%20Monsters/balrogyz9.jpg
;D ;D

Yeah that would be interesting. Was the Balrog even flesh? I always considered it an elemental force. Like animate flame, smoke, lava, ash. More of a supernatural beast. But then again, if it can be killed by a sword, it must be alive enough to die. lol. Retarded wording I know, but I'm sure you get the point!

Someone should change the name of this thread to "The Thing Versus _____"

I'm still sticking with Skynet and it's artificial armada of killing machines. The Thing would have no way to infiltrate using it's biggest asset. Sure it could run amok on the battle field taking out a few machines with brute force. But that is in no way it's forte and would be eventually reduced to ash from a menagerie of photon weapons and flame units.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed